Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

The rear of the car slammed to the ground!

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2009, 07:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The rear of the car slammed to the ground!

could there be any effects to the car? long story short, i doubled up the wooden bricks and stick them under the towing hook trying to raised the car up(trying to take out the jackstands) while the front was lowered to the ground. all of the sudden they came loose, and car slammed to the ground! my heart tears in pieces. i'm afraid my car willl not be the same anymore.

someone please let me know if this will be ok? after that i've noticed scratches and dents all under the car.
Old 04-14-2009, 08:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: The rear of the car slammed to the ground!

be glad you weren't underneath it
Old 04-14-2009, 08:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

jack it back up and see if anything is damaged that touched the ground

Originally Posted by civic_driver
too bad you weren't underneath it
thats messed up man

hehe
Old 04-14-2009, 08:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

be glad you weren't underneath it
just to let you guys know, the wheel of the car was maybe a feet and a half off from the ground.

i didn't feel too good about it last night. it's been bugging me ever since. i was having so much confidence on this car. i've never owned a car this long before. on August 2009 it'll be 3 years since i've owned it. usually things will go downhill within a year or two.

i don't want to spend anymore time looking for a different car. although i've never own a dc or ek yet. :p i plan to stick with an eg for as long as i can.
Old 04-14-2009, 08:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by MonkeyMagic
i plan to get greased up again today. it all started with replacing brake parts, which went disaster!
Old 04-14-2009, 08:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

yeah the rotors maybe fubared

good luck bro!
Old 04-14-2009, 08:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Icon3 Re: The rear of the car slammed to the ground!

Originally Posted by G2_Fella
usually things will go downhill within a year or two.
Let me guess - you do all your own maintenance & mods? Maybe God is trying to tell you something... No offense, but some people just weren't intended to work on cars.

If the car had the full suspension & wheels on it, there probably won't be much, if any, damage. Frames bend only when they decellerate instantly, like hitting a tree or other side of a ditch. If it fell mostly flat, it would most likely be the underbody that just dented upwards, or the inner LCA mounts got their tabs bent a little. Best thing if you are worried is get the alignment checked. If the frame is damaged, it will usually throw the alignment off. The only other issue would be a blown shock, but that's rare from a single bottoming out.

Next time, do it right. Use a jack, then hold it up with jack stands. You'd be surprised how many people have been crushed to death because they used $1.30 in wood rather than $13.00 for a jack stand.
Old 04-14-2009, 09:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by HiProfile
Let me guess - you do all your own maintenance & mods? Maybe God is trying to tell you something... No offense, but some people just weren't intended to work on cars.

If the car had the full suspension & wheels on it, there probably won't be much, if any, damage. Frames bend only when they decellerate instantly, like hitting a tree or other side of a ditch. If it fell mostly flat, it would most likely be the underbody that just dented upwards, or the inner LCA mounts got their tabs bent a little. Best thing if you are worried is get the alignment checked. If the frame is damaged, it will usually throw the alignment off. The only other issue would be a blown shock, but that's rare from a single bottoming out.

Next time, do it right. Use a jack, then hold it up with jack stands. You'd be surprised how many people have been crushed to death because they used $1.30 in wood rather than $13.00 for a jack stand.
i did used a jackstands on all four corners. i just don't know how to start from where first. on this i might need help as i don't have the knowledge.

the car was jacked up with jackstands on all four sides. i raised up the front first then take out the jackstands. then i went to the rear, try to lift up the jack but was too short. so grabbed two wooden bricks and lay it on the jack circle. lift the rear up and took the jackstands from the rear out. twist the jack arm to the left so it can move down freely, then BAM! bricks and jack circle started flying underneath.

please give me the proper directions to bring a car down when on all four corners with jackstands.
Old 04-14-2009, 09:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by HiProfile

thank you, you made me feel a little better.

let me ask some of you guys, would this bother you, if this were to happen to your car?(although it won't happen to most of you)
Old 04-14-2009, 10:45 AM

I know what you're saying. It would make me wanna cry too.

Me personally, I almost never have all 4 wheels off at the same time just for those instances. Just never know what could happen. I would imagine the damage would be brake rotors There's other possibilities but like others have said just one slam probably isn't enough to do much. I wouldn't sweat it bro.
Old 04-14-2009, 11:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

check your gas tank for any leaks or cracks.. it could be dangerous unless your muffler soften the blow
Old 04-14-2009, 11:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It sounds like you are using a jack that is to small, it shouldn't be any problem to do at all with the right size jack.
Old 04-14-2009, 11:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by R666_EK
I know what you're saying. It would make me wanna cry too.

Me personally, I almost never have all 4 wheels off at the same time just for those instances. Just never know what could happen. I would imagine the damage would be brake rotors There's other possibilities but like others have said just one slam probably isn't enough to do much. I wouldn't sweat it bro.
that's what came to my mind, do it 2 wheels at a time! thanks bro, you made me feel so much better!

next time it'll be only 2...at a time!
Old 04-14-2009, 01:15 PM
318 Curves, 11 miles

Originally Posted by G2_Fella
please give me the proper directions to bring a car down when on all four corners with jackstands.

The answer is... very, very, very carefully. Use the correct equipment. Wood blocks might cut it when you're lifting a corner, but not all four. Get a quality jack that goes high enough. Lift everything as evenly as possible.

Sometimes there are lots of legit reasons to have all 4 corners up at once.... what if you have to bleed brakes? It scares the **** out of me everytime, but I do it.

I usually do that kind of work with a buddy. One of us acts as a spotter when raising/lowering it to make sure that the weight isn't shifting too much.
Old 04-14-2009, 01:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

if raising all four...start jacking up front first. your ebrake holds your rear tires so they wont move. when lowering, lower rear first. thats what you didnt do. the front tries doesnt lock...(MT free spins...AT has free play) it rocked and rolled thats why your car fell off the jack.

so for raising...front first then rear.
for lowering...rear first then front.
also remember to use tire stoppers to wedge your tires.
Old 04-14-2009, 02:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Quote:
too bad you weren't underneath it

thats messed up man

hehe
Good one