Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Rear Brake Drum Rubbing? Help me out please.

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2008, 05:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear Brake Drum Rubbing? Help me out please.

ok, when im on the freeway i hear a loud noise coming from the rear.. like something is rubbing together. so today, i took off my rims and whatnot and i was checking to see if everything spins freely. and my Drivers side Rear drum brake rubs when it gets to a certain point in its rotation. so my question is, how do i fix this, what could it be? and how do i remove the rear drum? (just asking before i open up my haynes, because im a visual person... i like pictures.)

and i know, why dont i just upgrade to rear disc.. but im broke. so unless anyone is in a giving mood. i need to fix what i have.

EDIT:: i have tried using the search and didnt find anything, if theres a thread simalar, please point me in the right direction and delete this.

Thanks,
steve.
Old 06-16-2008, 05:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Rear Brake Drum Rubbing? Help me out please. (geneeunit)

it maybe rubbing on the shoe, which to a point is normal. check your lower control arm bushing. it may be worn out.
Old 06-16-2008, 05:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

^Could be that, or it could be as simple as some junk in the way.
To pull the drum you just remove the wheel and then the inset phillips screws on the face (you will need an impact driver for this).
Be sure the parking brake is NOT engaged when you do this...obviously
Old 06-16-2008, 05:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (pdiggitydogg)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by tortis &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">it maybe rubbing on the shoe, which to a point is normal. check your lower control arm bushing. it may be worn out.</TD></TR></TABLE>
i checked out the control arm bushing and it looks fine. i think its rubbing too much though, because it will stop and its really hard to turn while rotating by hand.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by pdiggitydogg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">^Could be that, or it could be as simple as some junk in the way.
To pull the drum you just remove the wheel and then the inset phillips screws on the
face (you will need an impact driver for this).
Be sure the parking brake is NOT engaged when you do this...obviously</TD></TR></TABLE>
would either of these impact drivers work?
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_1...1000P?
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_1...1000P?
and then i should just check to see where its rubbing, or whats causing it to rub?

thanks for such quick and helpful response's. any other advice?
Old 06-16-2008, 06:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Go with the first one. Theyre extremely handy.
And yes, do exactly that.

I suggest you dont mess with much inside the drum, theyre tricky things and unless you know what your doing, or have a guide, you can screw yourself. Just remove any loose debris and wipe the inside of the drum clean (dont blow it clean!)
If the drum is bad you can always have it turned, probably at any place that turns rotors.
Old 06-16-2008, 08:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (pdiggitydogg)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by pdiggitydogg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Go with the first one. Theyre extremely handy.
And yes, do exactly that.

I suggest you dont mess with much inside the drum, theyre tricky things and unless you know what your doing, or have a guide, you can screw yourself. Just remove any loose debris and wipe the inside of the drum clean (dont blow it clean!)
If the drum is bad you can always have it turned, probably at any place that turns rotors.</TD></TR></TABLE>
cool, thanks alot for your help. looks like i have a fun weekend project to do.

and not to chnage subject, but before i make a seperate thread.. when i engage the clutch in 1st or reverse, it squeeks really loud. and if i just push in the pedal while in neutral, i can here it. from what ive gathered, this would be cause by the input bearing?
EDIT:: motor is a D16y7, stock tranny
Old 06-18-2008, 03:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (geneeunit)

throw out bearing maybe. replacing the clutch is not a real hard job with these cars.
Old 06-19-2008, 12:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (tortis)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by tortis &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">throw out bearing maybe. replacing the clutch is not a real hard job with these cars.</TD></TR></TABLE>
yes.. thanks for responding, but money is an issue for me. so its not that i couldnt replace it myself, its that i cant afford it.

...but are there any other reasons that would cause it to squeek like that?
Old 06-19-2008, 12:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i under stand the budget thing. it only happens when you push the clutch pedal in right? sounds like a throw out bearing. could be the pilot, but i dont think so.
Old 06-19-2008, 12:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (tortis)

when i push the clutch in while idling you can here like a squeeking, but when i engage the clutch (let out the pedal) in first gear, or reverse. theres a loud squeeking. its had to describe, maybe ill get a video up on youtube later.
Old 06-19-2008, 03:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

1st of all...u dont need an impact screw driver to take out drums...only rotors...and to get the drums out...release parking brake cable... and if its an ex coupe w/o disc brake jus hit it wif a hammer to get it loose and pull it out...and if its an lower model dx/lx/cx/vx u will need a bolt and screw it in to get it loose...u will see that on the rotor
Old 06-19-2008, 03:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Skadaloz)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Skadaloz &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">1st of all...u dont need an impact screw driver to take out drums...only rotors...and to get the drums out...release parking brake cable... and if its an ex coupe w/o disc brake jus hit it wif a hammer to get it loose and pull it out...and if its an lower model dx/lx/cx/vx u will need a bolt and screw it in to get it loose...u will see that on the rotor</TD></TR></TABLE>

its a 1996 DX hatch. and i plan on buying an impact driver anyways, as its not like i couldnt use one in my toolbox.