Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Readiness Codes

Old 05-11-2005, 08:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Readiness Codes

I just went and tried to get my car inspected for the second time and my ECU is still giving "not ready" under three different categories (you're allowed 2 I think). Now I've reset the ECU from the last time I tried to get it inspected, and have driven the amount of miles they told me. What else could be the problem? TIA
Old 05-11-2005, 09:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Readiness Codes (dsmfan95)

You just haven't driven enough miles under the correct conditions - just keep driving.

But umm, why did you bother to reset the ECU? You got the CEL on?
Old 05-11-2005, 09:19 AM
Mr. Badwrench

Default Re: Readiness Codes (EE_Chris)

it isnt necessarilly miles. it is drive cycles also. time the car is on and off.
Old 05-11-2005, 09:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Readiness Codes (boostedcivicsir)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by boostedcivicsir &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">it isnt necessarilly miles. it is drive cycles also. time the car is on and off.</TD></TR></TABLE>

It's been about a month since I last tried to get it inspected so it should be ready. Is there any other way to clear them?

Old 05-11-2005, 09:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Is your CEL on?

Why did you bother resetting the ECU before you got tested?

The emmisions station is looking for the readiness monitors to be SET, not cleared.

Are you driving the car daily? Is it getting to operating temp when you do drive? How long do you drive for? What kind of conditions.

Yes, drive cycles are also important - I didn't want to make it seem like you could start the car up, go drive for several hundered miles and then just pull on into the emmisions station - not at all.
Old 05-11-2005, 11:13 AM
Mr. Badwrench

i didnt think you made it out to be like that. thats just what i was thinking of. good explanation.
Old 05-11-2005, 08:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EE_Chris &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Is your CEL on?</TD></TR></TABLE>

No

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EE_Chris &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Why did you bother resetting the ECU before you got tested?</TD></TR></TABLE>

I did it after it was tested, because I was informed to.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EE_Chris &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Are you driving the car daily? Is it getting to operating temp when you do drive? How long do you drive for? What kind of conditions.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Car is driven daily and reaches operating temperature every time. Average trip is around 15 minutes on country roads where there isn't really any stop and go traffic.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EE_Chris &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Yes, drive cycles are also important - I didn't want to make it seem like you could start the car up, go drive for several hundered miles and then just pull on into the emmisions station - not at all.</TD></TR></TABLE>

That's what every garage has told me to do. They all say to drive for around 75 miles and they should set themselves so that is what I assumed.
Old 05-12-2005, 05:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Old 05-12-2005, 07:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Unless there is a code that is keeping whatever readiness monitors from running, you just need to keep driving - go on longer drives and under differing conditions.

Thats why I asked if your CEL was on and further confused by the fact that the tech's told you to disconnect the battery in an attempt to speed this process along. And since you've said that the CEL was never on, then there shouldn't be anything preventing the monitors from running - so...drive.
Old 08-11-2005, 05:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EE_Chris &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Unless there is a code that is keeping whatever readiness monitors from running, you just need to keep driving - go on longer drives and under differing conditions.

Thats why I asked if your CEL was on and further confused by the fact that the tech's told you to disconnect the battery in an attempt to speed this process along. And since you've said that the CEL was never on, then there shouldn't be anything preventing the monitors from running - so...drive.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Update.

Actually there was something that was preventing them from setting. My backup fuse for the ECU was blown, so everytime I would turn off the car, it would reset the ECU. After replacing it, everything was fine.