Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Rattling Belt?

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2004, 04:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rattling Belt?

Sup all? I'm new here.. I've got pretty good knowledge of Honda's and have been in the game since 93'.

I've never came across something like this before but...

In the first 3 gears between 2500-3500 rpm's there's a metal on metal type rattle. weird? Yup!

Ok.. I've done the obvious.. raise the car tighten any and all bolts check exh. over pretty good & I've come up with nothing.

Ok.. now... After closely checking for and listening to this sound while under the hood with a few friends we've came to the conclusion that the timing belt has flexed, doesn't look damaged tho) is this due to a lil bit wilder cam's maybe? is this possible? my Jun cam's when i'm running it paired with my Skunk2 ECU rev til 9600, which is my redline. I only take her til 8750rpm's.

Can this rattling, along with some valve chattering be caused by a flexed out timing belt and/or harmonic balancer(tension pulley)???

Thanks in advance!
Old 07-26-2004, 01:36 PM

damn nobody?
Old 07-27-2004, 01:54 AM

Default Re: (KungFuPimp)

Yes, it is possible...

Timing belt tends to rattle (it hits the plastic cover) if it is too loose...

IMO, you should change it no matter how good it looks cos you never know what happened during those rattles... it can be damaged and can easily brake and destroy your engine...

Now, let's see why it is loosened... try to inspect the tensioner... replace it with along the belt... it is not expensive and it gives a piece of mind...

Another bet would be that the belt is worned and not tightened properly in the first place so the usage and wearing caused it to stretch a bit...

Just for the comparison, even a 0.05 inch loosened tensioner (from it's ideal position) can cause a belt to rattle...

If I were you, I would change that belt and the tensioner and of course I would go with Honda OEM parts...
Old 07-27-2004, 09:12 PM

Default Re: (KKVTi)

Good answer... I was leaning to change the harmonic balancer (tensioner) also. I'm debating to go aftermarket belt or stay Honda. The cam's and ECU like I said are wilder than the Stock piece... might this cause some extra tension on this belt, which goes hand in hand on extra wear on the tensioner???? Thanks for the feedback!
Old 07-28-2004, 01:52 AM

Default Re: (KungFuPimp)

I wouldn't bet that more agresive cams are the cause of belt being worn or streched but I also wouldn't exclude it as a cause...

The bottom line is to change the belt, water pump, and tensioner all together and that is the safest way... the less safe way is to change just tensioner and belt but you can face the water pump going bad after a while cos the new belt is more stiff than the used one so there will be more pressure on the pump... after a while, it may leak or the bearing can go bad... either way, it is not a good thing...
Old 07-28-2004, 03:28 AM

Default Re: (KKVTi)

no doubt. Your correct. It's pretty much stupid to go in there and only kill one bird when you could easily kill them all at once. Thanx for the feedback.