Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Random OVERHEATING.... what could be the cause??

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2006, 07:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Random OVERHEATING.... what could be the cause??

Ok heres the scenario....

Im drive home from work. Its about mid to high 90s our here in So cal. My drive is about 30 mins on the streets, no hwy. So after pulling into my driveway i notice an odd sound coming from my engine...I pop the hood and see steam coming out my radiator cap and resevoir cap *slight steam, not a heavy could* and i could hear bubbling. My car is overheating!! I look at my temp guage and its 3/4 to the top in my 5 years of having this car i have never ever seen the temp guage pass 1/2. So i try putting more and more coolant in, and nothing its still overheating* im a total nood to this problem*. So i do a search on here and find some things to go test out. I go back to my car about 20 min later, and turn it on. It heats up immediately and I notice the upper hose is hot, and the lower hose i can hold on too all day with no problem. So im thinking my radiator or Thermostat???

Well i take the care out to see if it overheats about an hour or 2 later, and the temp has cooled down to maybe the 70's. The car warms up unusually quick. but stays right beneath the 1/2 mark like it always does on the temp guage. I drive around on the streets for about 20 min, then i take it on the freeway for 15 min, and back home. THE TEMP GUAGE DIDNT BUDGE!! IT STAYED AT NORMAL OPERATING TEMPERATURE. No over heating, no nothing. When i got back home, the first thing i did was popped the hood and touched the upper hose. burning hot, touched the lower hose now..BURNING HOT!! WTH?? Now everything seems normal.

So my question is, am i looking at....
1) A thermostat that is going bad?
2) A coolant system that needs to be flushed??
3) Signs of a radiator clogging up??

Also for the past few weeks i have been noticing a random coolant leak towrds the rear of the engine block on the drivers side of the car. When i head to work in the morning i sometimes see a lil puddle of coolant sitting under that area of the car. But no other signs or problems until today.

The motor is a D16z6 that has never been touched other than AEM intake. Its ran smooth and no hiccups. still idles quietly. Motor has 174k miles on it.

OPEN FOR DISCUSSION.... Thanks.
Old 07-07-2006, 07:18 PM

Default Re: Random OVERHEATING.... what could be the cause?? (Pworld)

I would replace the thermostat and flush the cooling system at the same time. That should fix the overheating problem. Sounds like maybe the thermostat is sticking closed sometimes. Also, make sure your cooling fans are coming on.
Old 07-07-2006, 07:23 PM

Default Re: Random OVERHEATING.... what could be the cause?? (project_delta)

Yea i forgot to mention the fan does come on. It was coming on during the whole ordeal.... consistantly when the car was sitting still.
Old 07-07-2006, 07:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Random OVERHEATING.... what could be the cause?? (project_delta)

Thermostat is beginning to stick (it won't stick every time, but once is enough). Replace that, flush your system, and do a compression test to make sure that you didn't blow the headgasket. (basically you push air into the cylinders, and make sure that the coolant doesn't bubble while doing so)
Old 07-07-2006, 07:29 PM

Default Re: Random OVERHEATING.... what could be the cause?? (SovXietday)

Sounds good im gonna take care of that this weekend!!!