Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Random engine stalls. Need help :(

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2017, 02:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Random engine stalls. Need help :(

Hey guys.. so here's the thing.. 1999 civic ek ls b18 swap. Car runs and drives fine most of the time although every morning I have trouble starting.. aside from this sometimes my car stalls while in motion. It happens randomly , but the car turns over when I crank it. I noticed , when a passenger sits in my car while it is on as soon as they get in the the engine dies.. also this problem is more or less only frequent with a passenger in the car when I drive alone it rarely dies on me.. this has been concerning for a while and it seems the problem is getting worse .. the other day the car died after a short drive and wouldn't start , I cranked it and cranked nothing would happen i tried for 15 minutes (it seemed like it almost starts sometimes but it chokes.) , the fuel pump primes and the alternator is good but the engine won't turn over . I used starting fluid sprayed into the throttle body and it started up.
someone please help i love this car and I'd hate to have to retire her 😢 on another note, I recently changed the spark plugs. Thanks all.
Old 01-19-2017, 04:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 41 Likes on 41 Posts
Default Re: Random engine stalls. Need help :(

fuel pump might be gettin ready to bite the big one.

Starting Problems
Old 01-19-2017, 04:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 46 Likes on 43 Posts

I'd start the engine then get in the passenger seat and start hitting and pushing on stuff try to find specifically what kills it. Likely the ECU or something close to it.
Old 01-20-2017, 01:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Well.. I was thinking fuel pump or clogged filter but it seems to prime fine everytime (little rhyme lol).. as for the ECU, sometimes it throws CEL codes haven't pulled them out yet.. you think there's a short somewhere ? I'll try the passenger thing. I'm thinking maybe a bad sensor because at times there's idle surging or rough idle.. if this helps sometimes when im driving and I give the car gas (usually 3rd gear) im pressing on the gas and there's a huge 2-3 second delay then the car suddenly starts accelerating.. strange maybe it is the fuel pump.. thanks tho I really apreciate the feedback
Old 01-20-2017, 04:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

original fuel pump almost stranded me around 2003.
like other electrical stuff they can crap out then come back from the dead = hair pulling frustration.
now i carry a spare plus coil and icm + tools. be prepared: it's the boyscout's marching song.
if funds are tight just grab the cheapo autobest otherwise luv me some denso.

1995 ACURA INTEGRA 1.8L L4 Fuel Pump | RockAuto

not sure what year your ls engine is so ymmv.
Old 01-20-2017, 05:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I've read on some other forum a while back oem fuel pumps were trash for these years is this true? I don't ever use anything but the best for this car some day I'll post a thread with my build! Oh and it seems like starting fluid always works does that narrow anything down? On a cold start i crank ,engine turns , starts, dies , crank , turns over , dies again. I usually have to open the throttle and keep the revs above idle for 20 30 seconds then it stays running .. btw the link you first posted great stuff really appreciate you taking the time to help me out !
Old 01-21-2017, 04:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

factory fuel pump on mine was junk as were rad and rad fan motor.
to be fair rad motor got a coolant bath when upper rad tank blew
so that didnt help but original condensor fan motor is still goin strong.
rad fan motor replaced with a/c style pancake motor and good to go.
circa 2003 denso fuel pump is hangin in there too but still paranoid.
Old 01-23-2017, 03:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

So i pretty much narrowed it down to the fuel pump cutting off , but just in case I'm ordering new coils and a icm , what do you think about the MSD setups? Expensive lol anyways ill update once I figure this out.. I also have coolant leaks through the hose but I just got a full mishimoto rad fan shroud and hoses pretty stocked on this lol .. car was overheating and the fan wasn't running so I wired it to the battery and got a new switch seems fine now but now my gauges are acting up and the spedometer is dead.. Jesus lol when it rains it Pours .
Old 01-23-2017, 04:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

no msd keep it stock!!! heard many bad things about msd, search and read.
the honda (made by tec) coil will last longer (5 years/75k miles vs. about 3 years/45k for others).
other factory parts that were sh*te: upper rad hose and a/c pulley bolt. 8(
another rant: no more gates water pumps! now made in china, last one only lasted
about 5 years before leaking all over the place! their timing belts still seem ok.
went with npw water pump and koyo tensioner this time with plenty of toyota black sealant.

https://www.amazon.com/Genuine-Toyota-00295-00103-Formed-Place/dp/B000EDDTV0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1485222737&sr=8-1&keywords=toyota+sealant

https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-...civic-3114911/