Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Random CEL, it comes and goes.

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2004, 11:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Random CEL, it comes and goes.

Okay, I had this problem before, but it occured infrequently. It's happened twice in the last 5 days now. (I just installed my turbo setup this week). Anyways, the car will throw a check engine light sometimes, so I'll shut the car down and pull over, and try to pull the code, but the moment I restart the car, the check engine light disappears. Anyone have any idea what it could be. I think it might be the o2 sensor. I know on the dyno the wideband could barely read my a/f ratio. The car was running pig rich 10:1 or better, the bosch wideband could only read above 10:1.
Old 03-22-2004, 11:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Random CEL, it comes and goes. (ptran13)

Even though the light goes off, the code is always retained in memory. In an OBD2, the memory also holds when each code was tripped. Go pull the code...it will still be there.
Old 03-22-2004, 12:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: Random CEL, it comes and goes. (nolimits)

If its a OBD1 the code wont be there until you do what you did before to activate the code, but it wont throw a light.

Example: This happened to me that whenever i launch and hit into VTEC i would throw a code. But everytime i try to pull it it would never read. So I figure it was gone with no problems and i resetted the ecu just in case. Then lately it would come on and off but not able to catch it. Then one day i hit VTEC and the car was fucked. I threw no codes but when i check for them there they were. But for me to get it i had to turn the car off to the ON position, so the ecu is still on. So try that and see if you could get a code. Then find out what the problem is.
Old 03-22-2004, 02:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Random CEL, it comes and goes. (Luserkid)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Luserkid &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">If its a OBD1 the code wont be there until you do what you did before to activate the code, but it wont throw a light.

Example: This happened to me that whenever i launch and hit into VTEC i would throw a code. But everytime i try to pull it it would never read. So I figure it was gone with no problems and i resetted the ecu just in case. Then lately it would come on and off but not able to catch it. Then one day i hit VTEC and the car was fucked. I threw no codes but when i check for them there they were. But for me to get it i had to turn the car off to the ON position, so the ecu is still on. So try that and see if you could get a code. Then find out what the problem is. </TD></TR></TABLE>

it's a 95 B18B so it's OBD1, it doesn't retain the code.
Old 03-22-2004, 02:11 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ptran13 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

it's a 95 B18B so it's OBD1, it doesn't retain the code. </TD></TR></TABLE>

If you have a CEL, then it's storing a code. Jump the service connector and retreive the code.
Old 03-22-2004, 02:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Random CEL, it comes and goes. (poison)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by poison &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

If you have a CEL, then it's storing a code. Jump the service connector and retreive the code.</TD></TR></TABLE>

so do i need to turn the car off and put it in the ON position with the jumper in?
Old 03-22-2004, 05:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ptran13 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

so do i need to turn the car off and put it in the ON position with the jumper in?</TD></TR></TABLE>

yup.
Old 03-22-2004, 05:31 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

To check a ECU code i have a lil write up on it in my signature. Also a huge list of codes for you guys to figure out what the hell is wrong.
Old 03-22-2004, 10:48 PM

Default Re: (JDMlifestyle)

put the jumper in while the car is running then turn the key to the on pss this should work. some cods are soft codes this is what a honda rep told me when I had a cel 22 obdI vtec oil press switch. its probably yor map though this is the most common prob with turbo.
Old 03-23-2004, 04:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (highcomp)

A hard code keeps the CEL lit once it's been tripped regardless of the current condition. A soft code will unlight the CEL once the problem is resolved, but either way the code is stored in memory. Any ECU I've ever worked with has been this way...even from the mid 80's, so I'll say again...the code is there!