Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Radio Troubleshooting Help

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2018, 06:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Radio Troubleshooting Help

Hello all. So one of the many projects with my newly acquired 93 Del Sol is to repair the hack job the previous owner did to the stereo. They cut off the factory harness at the plug so I was unable to just use a harness until I corrected it. I purchased a factory radio harness that I believe was meant for an automatic transmission when connecting to the cluster but was informed the radio plug should be the same across the board. I used the below image to verify the plug and the plug did indeed match the image so I went ahead and spliced in the plug. The only wires that didn't get used when connecting the head unit harness were for the auto antenna and the illumination wire. I'm not getting power to the head unit at this point. The fuse on the radio itself and the radio fuse under the steering column are both good. Even tested them to double check. I'm wondering if there is an issue somewhere supplying power to the radio. There are other electrical plugs that are needing to get fixed so I wouldn't be surprised if there is another issue somewhere.

My next step is to check for voltage at the plug to verify it's getting power to that point. When doing this, can I pin one lead to the two power wires separately and the other lead to ground? Or is there another point that I need to go to? If I'm not getting power to the stereo plug, does anyone have any insight as to what to check next? Or does anyone have a wiring diagram for the stereo in a 93 Del Sol that may help? This is mainly going to be an autocross car for the time being but I'd like to get this straightened out so that when I go on a canyon cruise or something I have the use of my stereo.
Old 07-09-2018, 02:06 AM
O.G. triple O.G.

Received 218 Likes on 196 Posts
Default Re: Radio Troubleshooting Help

You have a blown fuse somewhere in the fuse box. Since the P/O likely didn't securely taped up the wires after hacking, one of the power wires grounded out and blew a fuse.
Old 07-09-2018, 03:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 46 Likes on 43 Posts

Power for the always live wire (white with blue stripe in the car, yellow in the standard aftermarket radio color code) comes from the fuse box under the hood next to the battery. The fuse in there is labeled "BACKUP". It is almost certain to blow if you work on the radio wires without disconnecting the battery.
Old 07-09-2018, 07:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok. I’ll look around at the fuses again to make sure. I didn’t realize there was the backup under he hood. Hadn’t made it that far yet I guess. I’ll give that a try and see what happens. The previous owner most definitely did not secure anything so I wouldn’t be surprised if there’s something blown