Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Radio placing question EK

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2006, 08:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Radio placing question EK

i just wanna know how and what i need to buy to put my radio by my cup holder.
i know someone have done it.thanks
Old 08-02-2006, 08:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Radio placing question EK (Toti)

http://www.crutchfield.com

They have what you need.
Old 08-02-2006, 08:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

cant find it.too much stuff in there.thanks though
Old 08-02-2006, 09:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just call them up and tell them what you want to do, they are very helpful and can help you do it.
Old 08-02-2006, 09:03 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

All you will need to do is remove the center console and then uninstall the cup holder/pocket assembly (it's held in by four screws on either side of the opening/pocket/cd player). Now in my case I didn't have the proper mounts so I had to ebay up a new assembly which came with out the cd player it used to hold. All I had to do was take 4 of the screws from the deck I purchased (Pioneer premier DEH-P780MP) and aline the screw holes with the four mounting holes in the holder attached to the cup holder assembly. Make sure you have the face plate centered and as strait as you can before tightening the screws down. Then just reinstall the cup holder and now stereo assembly.

Once that was done I than had to pull the wiring and antenna wire down from the upper position and it was a rather simple task of just tugging it down from below, making sure it didn't snag on anything.

I know my explaination sucks but it's really simple beyond the whole annoyance of taking the whole center console appart. It's worth the work tho, now just have to figure out what to fill the hole with....
Old 08-02-2006, 09:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

thanks,im gonna call them for sure.anymore easier ideas?heheheh thanks again
Old 08-03-2006, 02:49 PM

Default Re: (Toti)

Honestly the swap is easy, it's about as much work as you'd end up doing to swap out the OE stereo to an aftermarket unit (which in all honestly is lots harder due to all the things you need to remove in conjunction with removing the panneling and hvac bezel). It's mainly pulling things apart that is tedious.

It's six screws to remove the center console(with no armrest) and then another four to uninstall the cup holder and pocket assembly and then four screws to remove what ever was previously in the holder (I've seen/heard about having either a cd player or a pocket). Then it's simply four for the deck, four for the cup holder and stereo and then the six for the center console. Once that's done it's just a matter of pulling the wiring and antenna down and connecting things (a wiring harness is required obviously).
Old 08-03-2006, 09:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (CarbonizedDX)

do i still need the mounting kit?or just slap it on there. i know removing it is easy, but your first post still confuses me.sorry thanks again!
Old 08-04-2006, 02:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Just get the 96-98 console. Makes it much easier.
Old 08-04-2006, 02:19 PM

Default Re: Radio placing question EK (808draggers)

Since my 96 didn't have any things above the cupholder (where the pocket or cd player would be) I am guessing on the removal of the old pieces. I had purchased a replacement cupholder with the opening from where the cd player would have been I simply had to slide the deck in the front, line up the screws and bolt it all down.
Old 08-04-2006, 02:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Radio placing question EK (CarbonizedDX)

In my opinion my cd player being behind my cup holder is damn annoying, cause if i have a drink there and i'm driving I first have to find somewhere to put the drink and its just too much fiddling... But i guess its good for hiding a stereo unit... just pop up the cupholder cover.
Old 08-04-2006, 08:37 PM

Default Re: Radio placing question EK (n00bcivicowner)

Yea it sucks worse for my pioneer since it used the "master command ****" were you push in to adjust the visuals, audio and the player/radio functions, so everytime I have a drink in there i hear the lil tone as the button gets pushed in. This being said I only have drinks in the holder if they aren't bottles....... On the other hand Pioneer makes a wired remote that'll work with my deck and I've been meaning to get it so I'd not have the problem with moving the drink to adjust the deck.

Even with the cup holder closed it's less noticeable as well as it's not the place people check (helps in my case that I pulled the mounting frame for the old deck and have just a hole where the deck usta be... ghetto but I can live with it tell i fiberglass some pod gauges in.).
Old 08-04-2006, 09:33 PM

Default Re: Radio placing question EK (CarbonizedDX)

theres mine on the ek.
Old 08-04-2006, 09:34 PM

Default Re: Radio placing question EK (slkleltlclh)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by n00bcivicowner &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">In my opinion my cd player being behind my cup holder is damn annoying, cause if i have a drink there and i'm driving I first have to find somewhere to put the drink and its just too much fiddling... </TD></TR></TABLE>

not necessarily. i love it.