Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

radio installation

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2003, 06:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default radio installation

okay i bought a new radio and i'm having troubles installing. i bought a wire adaptor thing from walmart and i matched up all the wires and taped them together with electrical tape. i go plug it in the car.. no power. then i saw that i had an open wire so i was thinking short circuit so i taped up the unused wires and i tried again.. no power? any ideas why? i double checked the wires and they seem connected to me.. if i left the wire open untaped and powered my car up does that mean i broke the radio? please help
Old 12-01-2003, 06:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: radio installation (frankcivic)

Sounds like you may have a blown fuse. Also check and make sure all the pins remain in the plugs when you attach the adaptor harness. Some tend to push out in WalMart harnesses.
Old 12-01-2003, 06:35 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by frankcivic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">okay i bought a new radio and i'm having troubles installing. i bought a wire adaptor thing from walmart and i matched up all the wires and taped them together with electrical tape. i go plug it in the car.. no power. then i saw that i had an open wire so i was thinking short circuit so i taped up the unused wires and i tried again.. no power? any ideas why? i double checked the wires and they seem connected to me.. if i left the wire open untaped and powered my car up does that mean i broke the radio? please help</TD></TR></TABLE>

Are you sure its grounded well??
Old 12-01-2003, 06:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: radio installation (TeStUdO)

how do i check for this? there is a grounded wire and all i did was connect the black wires? do i have to put like extra electrical tape? also how do i check for a blown fuse for the radio thing
Old 12-01-2003, 06:42 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by frankcivic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">how do i check for this? there is a grounded wire and all i did was connect the black wires? do i have to put like extra electrical tape? also how do i check for a blown fuse for the radio thing</TD></TR></TABLE>

Check the fuses in the fuse box. Did you disconnect the negative battery terminal before you started?? Go back over all the wiring and make sure you connected all the right wires.
Old 12-01-2003, 06:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: radio installation (TeStUdO)

no i did not disconnect the negative battery terminal before i started.. but i didnt install from inside the car i did all the wiring inside my house.. or do you mean i have to disconnect it before i start the car? or before i plug in the adapter.. i went over the wiring and re did them all . im about to go try again
Old 12-01-2003, 06:47 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by frankcivic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">no i did not disconnect the negative battery terminal before i started.. but i didnt install from inside the car i did all the wiring inside my house.. or do you mean i have to disconnect it before i start the car? or before i plug in the adapter.. i went over the wiring and re did them all . im about to go try again</TD></TR></TABLE>

Whenever working on your car its good to disconnect the negative battery terminal. If you went over all the wiring again try it and go from there.