Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Radio cuttin in and out

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2007, 10:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Radio cuttin in and out

Ok..I had an aftermarket deck in my civic (2000) and I noticed one day that after being used awhile, the music would just stop. The radio wouldnt turn off, just the sounds would stop playing. I tried cd's, and the radio, but nothing. So I figured maybe it was my deck, so I put my factory cd player back it, and same thing. After being used for awhile, everything just stops being played, but the unit remains on. I have to turn the cd player on and off a bunch of times before it starts working again, and sometimes even then it still doesnt work unless I just let it sit. What could be causing this? Is something shorting out or what? Please help!! Im trying to sell the car and I dont want the potential buyer to turn the car down because of an electrical problem!
Old 08-25-2007, 10:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Radio cuttin in and out (carboncivic)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by carboncivic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Ok..I had an aftermarket deck in my civic (2000) and I noticed one day that after being used awhile, the music would just stop. The radio wouldnt turn off, just the sounds would stop playing. I tried cd's, and the radio, but nothing. So I figured maybe it was my deck, so I put my factory cd player back it, and same thing. After being used for awhile, everything just stops being played, but the unit remains on. I have to turn the cd player on and off a bunch of times before it starts working again, and sometimes even then it still doesnt work unless I just let it sit. What could be causing this? Is something shorting out or what? Please help!! Im trying to sell the car and I dont want the potential buyer to turn the car down because of an electrical problem!</TD></TR></TABLE>

is it grounded right? did you hook up the power wires right?
remove the deck and look for visual damage to the wires and connections.
Old 08-25-2007, 10:56 AM

Default Re: Radio cuttin in and out (philosofy1)

Just went and checked, and everything is hooked up right and there is no visable damage to and wires that I can see
Old 08-25-2007, 11:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by carboncivic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Just went and checked, and everything is hooked up right and there is no visable damage to and wires that I can see</TD></TR></TABLE>

that sounds weird. maybe it's the brand of stereo you are buying. are both stereos the same brand?
Old 08-25-2007, 11:02 AM

No...one is an aftermarket pioneer, and the second is the factory radio that came with the car...Both have the same problem. I just dont get what it is...
Old 08-25-2007, 11:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by carboncivic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">No...one is an aftermarket pioneer, and the second is the factory radio that came with the car...Both have the same problem. I just dont get what it is...</TD></TR></TABLE>

have you checked the speaker wires. maybe there is something loose. you said the radio is still powered and you are able to turn it on/off.

also, do 2000 civics come with a factory amp. i know some cars come with a factoy amp. if the amp is getting to hot or is defective it may not allow sound to come out of the speakers.
Old 08-28-2007, 09:47 AM

Check your negative battery post, seriously. I just had the same problem with my new Sony head unit. Battery post had corrosion on it, cleaned it up and hasn't happened since. Good luck.