Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

radiator PROBLEM WITH MY car please HELP.....OVERHEATING

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2007, 06:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default radiator PROBLEM WITH MY car please HELP.....OVERHEATING

my old raditator is broken..and i just switch it to a new one today..but there's a problem.it work's fine befine after i swap it.leave the car on for like 15 or 20 minute...and now for some reason.i drove for like 5 minute...it overheat and the hose for the radiator is so hot..wat might be wrong??please help
Old 09-22-2007, 06:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: radiator PROBLEM WITH MY car please HELP.....OVERHEATING (DJNauTicz)

Replace your thermostat? is it spewing out of your overflow tank at all? you might have a bubble in your system as well.
Old 09-22-2007, 06:58 PM

Default Re: radiator PROBLEM WITH MY car please HELP.....OVERHEATING (EJ1_Sleeper)

where is the thermostat is located ??? yea..it overflow and into the coolin tank and it fulled up to like max....got any DIY on how to test them and check..thank you

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EJ1_Sleeper &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Replace your thermostat? is it spewing out of your overflow tank at all? you might have a bubble in your system as well.</TD></TR></TABLE>
Old 09-22-2007, 07:15 PM
GO GIANTS!

Default Re: radiator PROBLEM WITH MY car please HELP.....OVERHEATING (DJNauTicz)

1. Did you fill up radiator and "bubble" the system?
2. Change the thermostat?
3. Fill the resivor?
4. Fan working correctly?

You have two hoses connected to your radiator. Follow the bottom one all the way to the end and its right there. Disconnect that hose and a couple screws and its there.
Old 09-22-2007, 07:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: radiator PROBLEM WITH MY car please HELP.....OVERHEATING (HondamanXxX)

usually id its spewing out of your overflow it has to much pressure going into the tank from the head, which means your HG might be getting ready to go. I had the same issue and replaced all the damn parts, now it runs perfect.
Old 09-22-2007, 07:20 PM
GO GIANTS!

Default Re: radiator PROBLEM WITH MY car please HELP.....OVERHEATING (EJ1_Sleeper)

Links

1. https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1529645

2. https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1424191

2. Will help you out more but 1 will explain everything you need to know.
Old 09-22-2007, 07:21 PM
Honda-Tech Platinum Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: radiator PROBLEM WITH MY car please HELP.....OVERHEATING (HondamanXxX)

no need to test them, just replace them, they`re going to break eventually. i usually replace t-stat and water pump dependign on the last time it`s been serviced. as far as bleedign goes, you`ll read different ways but this is the best way: jack the front of the car up. run the car without the rad cap on. your gonna have to wait a wile because you have to make sure your fans come on so you know for sure your Tstat is open. then you wait till it stops burping.
now, the bleeder is the highest part of the cooling system and you should really finish bleeding from there to get the last bit of air out. crack it and then turn it till coolant will start slowly coming out. keep it open wile the car is running and is hot. then close it when bubbles stop coming out.

make sure car is cold when you start it with no rad cap. and turn the temp in the car to hot.
Old 09-22-2007, 07:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

9 times out of 10 when you change the radiator the thermostat also goes bad.

Why? Your coolant isn't 100% clean, your thermostat is very delicate - it settles at the bottom of the radiator and then when you remove it it all gets moved around and cloggs the thermostat.

It's your thermostat, 100% sure.

As to its location? The lower rad hose plugs into the thermostat housing, so you un-bolt those 2 10mm bolts and remove the housing, and it just sits in there w/ a gasket around it.

The gasket "fits" around the outside of the thermostat (so you buy a new thermostat and gasket) and it just sits in there..then the thermostat housing keeps it in there.

1) take off thermostat housing
2) Pop out old thermostat w/ flat head screwdriver (take note of which way was facing out
3) Put gasket on new one (slips around the outside)
4) Put in the same way it was facing (that you noted in step 2), it should fit snuggly and the "bump" on top should fit into the notch on the housing.
5) Put housing back on and bolt it back down, no torquing them to spec isn't required b/c it's a seal, not a gasket

NOTE:
Might wanna flush your coolant while the thermostat is out.

Cost? &lt;20 dollars.

Use a garden hose to flush it.
Old 09-22-2007, 07:24 PM
GO GIANTS!

Default Re: radiator PROBLEM WITH MY car please HELP.....OVERHEATING (BrokeA$$Pinoy)

Fan not hooked up right? Did you use the stock fan or aftermarket? Stock switchs or did you connect your own?

Do you know how to jump the thermostat circuit? This will tell you if your fan is working, you should hear your relay clicking. If not working, check the fuse.
Old 09-22-2007, 07:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by HondamanXxX &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Fan not hooked up right? Did you use the stock fan or aftermarket? Stock switchs or did you connect your own?

Do you know how to jump the thermostat circuit? This will tell you if your fan is working, you should hear your relay clicking. If not working, check the fuse.</TD></TR></TABLE>

You don't need the fan while driving, hence why it's activated by the ECU caused by too high of a temperature from the ECT.

Please, explain to me what the expletive a thermostat circuit is - and how you jump it?

The thermostat is mechanical, there are no electrical components to it. At least not on '92-'00 civics.
Old 09-22-2007, 07:30 PM
GO GIANTS!

Default Re: radiator PROBLEM WITH MY car please HELP.....OVERHEATING (Syndacate)

I am mostlikely calling it the incorrect name. The sensor that goes into the thermostat or near the thermostat. Not circuit

I stuck a paper clip in both sides of it to activate it. Not the best idea but just to see if it worked.
Old 09-22-2007, 07:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by HondamanXxX &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I am mostlikely calling it the incorrect name. The sensor that goes into the thermostat or near the thermostat. Not circuit

I stuck a paper clip in both sides of it to activate it. Not the best idea but just to see if it worked.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I think you're talking about the ECT (Electronic Coolant Temp sensor).

I'm 99% sure it's not on the thermostat housing - but on the block itself.

EDIT:
PS:

Or maybe you're just talking about the fan switch in which case yeah, if you jump it with a paper clip the fan should kick on. I haven't really analyzed the coolant systems past what I've need to do to it, but I'm pretty sure the '92-'00 civics use a ECU signal based on the ECT rading opposed to a fan switch, but I could be wrong.
Old 09-22-2007, 07:41 PM

i use the stock fan and stock plug....
is there's anyway to test the fan is good or not?

dont think mine have a switch..
mine it just a normal plug...
i remeber one of my friend have the same thing.and his just auto switch on..the fan just turn on when it's hot
Old 09-22-2007, 07:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by DJNauTicz &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i use the stock fan and stock plug....
is there's anyway to test the fan is good or not?

dont think mine have a switch..
mine it just a normal plug...
i remeber one of my friend have the same thing.and his just auto switch on..the fan just turn on when it's hot</TD></TR></TABLE>

It's the thermostat, I'd stake a lot of **** on that too.

They always jam up when you change the rad.
Old 09-22-2007, 08:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: radiator PROBLEM WITH MY car please HELP.....OVERHEATING (Syndacate)

i'd say check the t-stat or fan. to check the fan run two alligator clips from the fan clip to the battery and if the fan works you have a t-stat issue.

just fixed this myself today. i got the mugen thermoswitch and stock t-stat and the stupid fan died!! caused my shiet to overheat. new rad and fan too so it was very odd. so yeah check the fan.
Old 09-22-2007, 09:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

if both hose's are hot i dont see how it could be the t-stat. if the top hose is hot and hard its obvious that its working properly. you could replace it anyway. does the temp gauge get way up before the overflow fills up? if not then its not over heating. it sounds like you may just have a bad radiator cap it self. if its old and worn out it may not be able to hold the pressure that the heated coolant creates. if it is going way up before filling the over flow id say you may have a clogged hearer core or you fans not functioning.
Old 09-22-2007, 10:36 PM

Default Re: radiator PROBLEM WITH MY car please HELP.....OVERHEATING (DCSportEJ1Civic)

well i just found out the fan work's..but it blow out cold air..
but i have a question
if i change the t-stat...but some people tell me to flush it..by using the water hose..is that a good idea or no??
because someone tell me yes and someone tell me no..please help.
Old 09-22-2007, 10:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

by saying that it blows cold air, do you mean the cars heater doesnt work? that would make me believe its the heater core.
Old 09-23-2007, 05:54 AM

Default Re: radiator PROBLEM WITH MY car please HELP.....OVERHEATING (DCSportEJ1Civic)

u know the fan it work's..but it blow cold air's...but i'm not 100% sure is that heater problem or not..but i'll find out by trying to change the t-stat today and see.
i'll update more information
Old 09-23-2007, 09:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by DJNauTicz &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">u know the fan it work's..but it blow cold air's...but i'm not 100% sure is that heater problem or not..but i'll find out by trying to change the t-stat today and see.
i'll update more information</TD></TR></TABLE>

And you'll see that I'm right, and your car will run fine, and a choir of angels will sing, and your car will light up like the holy grail, etc. etc.

Old 09-23-2007, 11:28 AM

after i done everything...
swap my T-stat...and everything..
i let it cool for like 10 minute or so...

then [IMG] http://www.we-todd-did-racing.com/we...x.jpg[/IMG]

and fan is not turnin on..but temp seen to be fine..
so i'm gonna drive it for a bit and to see if there's anything's wrong or not
will update information...once everything is set..

also thank you guys for the help
Old 09-23-2007, 12:44 PM
Honda-Tech Platinum Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

how long were you letting the car idle for the fan to kick in?
Old 09-24-2007, 05:29 AM

changed the t-stat car work's fine..fan blow out hot air's now

but only 1 problem..for some reason i feel my car is losting power..but i'm not 100% sure..but it feel like car is slower then b4.. did i do anything wrong