Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

radiator. help

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2013, 04:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default radiator. help

I thot aftermarket radiator helps cool system cooler I've had nothing but overheat problems
Old 05-23-2013, 04:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: radiator. help

Not all aftermarket parts are created equal and 95% of them are worse than OEM parts.

Is there a reason you went with a aftermarket radiator in the first place? If you're having cooling problems after install, take it out and put the OEM one back in.
Old 05-23-2013, 04:59 PM
been there done that

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

holy lack of any relevant information that could be used to help diagnose your problems

next time, just make a blank post.
Old 05-23-2013, 05:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

is there a shroud on it????

Posted from Honda-tech.com App for Android
Old 05-23-2013, 06:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

No no shroud I my oem radiator had a leak so I bought and ebay " racing two row radiator and the 12" fan that comes with it. Let me tell ya I thought have a two row bs radiator it wouldve cooled more instead its overheating more
Old 05-23-2013, 06:47 PM
been there done that

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

that's what you get for buying cheap ****
Old 05-24-2013, 03:08 AM
The Grumpiest

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Put the stock fan back on it. The shroud makes the difference.
Old 05-24-2013, 05:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Did u bleed the coolant?
Old 05-24-2013, 05:34 AM
The Grumpiest

Read his other thread about overheating.
Old 05-24-2013, 05:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Ah ok i see he did
Old 05-24-2013, 06:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by doood
that's what you get for buying cheap ****
Now you're not better of then where you started OP...never get ebay junk as this is the result time and time over.
Old 05-24-2013, 06:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

the radiator he bought is great and will last a long time. I have used ebay all aluminum racing 2 or 3 floo radiators for years and have always had great results..

the problem is the fan... the slim fit little fans move very little air and will cause overheating.
Old 05-24-2013, 09:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 98civd16y8
No no shroud I my oem radiator had a leak so I bought and ebay " racing two row radiator and the 12" fan that comes with it. Let me tell ya I thought have a two row bs radiator it wouldve cooled more instead its overheating more
I thought the exact same thing myself. I don't like the OEM radiators because the top and bottom of them are made of cheap plastic and it is only a matter of time before they start to crack. The after-markets are 1 piece and all made of metal, so they are more durable. The only problem I found is that the inlet/outlet on them for the hoses is 1 1/2 inches, but the OEM is 1 1/8th, so the standard hoses do not fit and they are too big to fit on the car. I purchased one of those radiators, which looks like this.

The other problem is they are a little too tall, so you have to modify your hood just a tad to get the hood to close all the way. They are just a pain in the ***.

I wish someone made a 100% copper one piece radiator that was the same size as the OEM. Back when I had a Q45 and I replaced the radiator I found a copper one that was an exact fit and it kept that baby super cool.
Old 05-24-2013, 12:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by janos
I thought the exact same thing myself. I don't like the OEM radiators because the top and bottom of them are made of cheap plastic and it is only a matter of time before they start to crack. The after-markets are 1 piece and all made of metal, so they are more durable. The only problem I found is that the inlet/outlet on them for the hoses is 1 1/2 inches, but the OEM is 1 1/8th, so the standard hoses do not fit and they are too big to fit on the car. I purchased one of those radiators, which looks like this.

The other problem is they are a little too tall, so you have to modify your hood just a tad to get the hood to close all the way. They are just a pain in the ***.

I wish someone made a 100% copper one piece radiator that was the same size as the OEM. Back when I had a Q45 and I replaced the radiator I found a copper one that was an exact fit and it kept that baby super cool.

What evidence do you have that proves OEM radiators are cheap or unreliable?

I have gotten 20 yrs and 395K miles on the one in my 92 Civic Si, that saw many engine swaps, including B series and 14 yrs with 270K miles on my 99 Civic Lx and never once have they gave me a problem or even a hint of cracking or leaking. Plus many more "Cheap crap" oem radiators in the other 8 92-00 Civic's I have owned in the past 20 yrs.

However, if you are too cheap or lazy to service your cooling system at the scheduled intervals and then try and slap cheap aftermarket parts in hopes that it will solve your neglect, than you get what you pay for and deserve.

99% of people that replace their oem radiator with an aftermarket unit, don't have the supporting mods to justify it and are doing it for the bling factor only.

Your oem radiator is plenty big enough and a much better quality unit than 99.9% of what you will find on ebay. I have never once seen sign of or had to worry about overheating in any Civic, even sitting in traffic in So. Cali. on a 110* day with the AC cranked on high.
Old 05-24-2013, 12:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

dude he is referring to a aftermarket cheapo chinese made OEM REPLACEMENT.

The oem rads are decent for what they are but they do only hold maybe a gallon at most probably not even that.

The aftermarket ALL aluminum designs are excellent and have MUCH more capacity which is always a plus.

I have used ebay all aluminum rads for over 8 years and have never EVER had a problem.

aftermarket oem replacement rads do suck, OEM honda factory ones do not however. I am glad your 8 civics with tons of miles do or did great with their factory one.
I personally do not care for them myself. An all aluminum rad with no plastic tanks and is 2-3x the thickness of the factory unit provide superb cooling and the use of a factory OEM fan is a great combo, although with a Slim fit tiny non-shrouded fan you will have overheating problems etc.
Old 05-24-2013, 12:12 PM
The Grumpiest

Originally Posted by janos

OEM radiators on these cars are 20 years old in some instances. Parts eventually break down you know. Especially if they are not maintained, like the majority of cars are NOT these days.

And as far as the inlet/outlets of these generic Ebay rads not fitting that's because they are universal and tailored to fit the larger B-series engines. I knew that was the case so I bought a rad that was actually made for D-series applications and fitment was perfect. Stock D-series hoses gave me no installation problems because of it. I also have never heard of these being too tall. You sure you had it mounted correctly? Maybe you got one out of a generic batch that were made to the wrong dimensions.

Lot's of misinformation in your post.
Old 05-24-2013, 01:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by sleepyaccord96
dude he is referring to a aftermarket cheapo chinese made OEM REPLACEMENT.

The oem rads are decent for what they are but they do only hold maybe a gallon at most probably not even that.

The aftermarket ALL aluminum designs are excellent and have MUCH more capacity which is always a plus.

I have used ebay all aluminum rads for over 8 years and have never EVER had a problem.

aftermarket oem replacement rads do suck, OEM honda factory ones do not however. I am glad your 8 civics with tons of miles do or did great with their factory one.
I personally do not care for them myself. An all aluminum rad with no plastic tanks and is 2-3x the thickness of the factory unit provide superb cooling and the use of a factory OEM fan is a great combo, although with a Slim fit tiny non-shrouded fan you will have overheating problems etc.
He specifically stated OEM, not replacement.

All I asked for was evidence, not opinion.

I'm not here to argue, but misinformation and opinion are killing this forum...

Everyone is allowed their own opinion, but don't mistake it for fact.