Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Radiator Fluid dissappearing?

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2006, 06:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Radiator Fluid dissappearing?

Everytime i fill my radiator up with coolant and mixture of water it seems as though my coolant runs out really fast. There are no leaks or anything. When i turn on my car the radiator fan doesnt go on, could this be the problem? What could be the problem with my car?
Old 10-08-2006, 06:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Radiator Fluid dissappearing? (vi3tromanc3r)

Are you getting any smoke out of the tailpipe at all?

And there are ABSOLOUTLEY no leaks? How about a wet carpet on the inside?
Old 10-08-2006, 06:30 PM

Default Re: Radiator Fluid dissappearing? (.Red.EM2)

Nope no smoke that i notice. And no leak on interior carpets. When i come outside to check on the floor its dry. So pretty sure its not a leak. Its a new radiator i just bought and installed. Does the fan do anything? Cause im not sure if mines is working.
Old 10-08-2006, 06:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by vi3tromanc3r &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Does the fan do anything? Cause im not sure if mines is working.</TD></TR></TABLE>

That wouldn't really have anything to do with loosing coolant. Is your car running hot at all?
Old 10-08-2006, 07:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

what do you mean you dont know if your fan is working or not? well leave your car on and let it warm up, when it gets a little hot the fan should turn on. if it doesnt. then yea its not working.
Old 10-08-2006, 08:15 PM

Default Re: Radiator Fluid dissappearing? (koulaid)

yea the fan never turns on. my car does get a little hot but not overheating or anything.
Old 10-09-2006, 12:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Location: Your mommas bed, that might be true too ..., So Cali, USA

bump, got the same prob
Old 10-09-2006, 12:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

coolants gotta be going somewhere...

have a friend drive behind you and see if you're blowing out any white smoke. see if theres any coolant residue in the exhaust. should smell kinda sweet. possibly a bad headgasket.

check for leaks.. not just on the floor but check all your lines running to the motor and intake manifold.

about the fan.. just let the car idle for a while and eventually it should kick on. i would imagine that your fan should work or else your car would overheat after driving a while. i didn't think mine worked either but i just didn't wait long enough. lol.
Old 10-09-2006, 03:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Radiator Fluid dissappearing? (screwballz)

how do you know its disappearing? How many times have you filled it up with a whole jug of AF? When you fill it up your car should be running because as it warms up your thermostat will open and allow more to flow. Feel the tubes and make sure its flowing through. It could also be faulty thermostat. Check your oil for water as well. Last thing is have a die test done. They can put die in the coolant and see if its leaking anywhere!
Old 10-09-2006, 02:58 PM

Default Re: Radiator Fluid dissappearing? (mikeycivic)

i notice its not there because when i check it, i open the cap and the coolant went down, and it uses some of the reserved coolant from the bottle. i checked inside and following all the hose. Notice no leak at all. I idle the car for like 20 minutes and no white smoke or anything fan doesnt turn on even if i leave the car on for long. Where do i take a die test at? i bought a sealant for the radiator just incase there is a leak and put it in.
Old 10-09-2006, 03:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

dont put that **** in your radiator its not good for it. You could probably get the die at your local pep boys or take it to mechanic $$$ did you check your oil and your carpet is not wet?
Old 10-09-2006, 03:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by vi3tromanc3r &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">yea the fan never turns on. my car does get a little hot but not overheating or anything.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Let it sit for 20 mins or so, give it gas to warm the engine up. The fan should kick in after that, if not then you got a problem.
Old 10-09-2006, 04:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Location: Your mommas bed, that might be true too ..., So Cali, USA
Default Re: Radiator Fluid dissappearing? (EL Vap133)

i notice its not there because when i check it, i open the cap and the coolant went down, and it uses some of the reserved coolant from the bottle. i checked inside and following all the hose. Notice no leak at all. I idle the car for like 20 minutes and no white smoke or anything fan doesnt turn on even if i leave the car on for long. &lt; same thing happens to my car

I took it to the mechanic down my street today even he didnt kno he said if i want to change the water pump cause it had started to leak coolant from the "oil pan" where i first thought but it was coming from the water pump.

My fan doesnt come on also never has he checked and said because my car doesnt heat up enough to where it needs to come on, iuno haha
Old 10-09-2006, 05:16 PM

yea i left my car on for 20 min and reved it a lil still fan dun come on, if its the fan ima probaly get another one that works. My carpet isnt wet and oil seems fine. i felt the hoses and i can feel the flow. so how do i kno if my thermostat is working or not? and where is it in my car?
Old 10-12-2006, 01:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (vi3tromanc3r)

what year is your car again? Also how manytimes have you put coolant in your car since new radiator and are you using the correct mixxture? 50/50. This is what I would do, start your car and pull the cap off your rad. let it run for a litle bit then go put coolant in it while its running until you can see it ready to just about come out the top of the radiotor.Remember that when your car heats up the therm. opens and allows coolant to run through engine. If there isnt enough in the rad,when the therm opens the coolant will drop in the radiator! Got it. So try what I mentioned and let me know
Old 10-12-2006, 04:34 AM

when you put in coolant it should take a lot and you have to keep filling it up until it fills the radiator which you prolly already know.

Also if your temp gauge works you would be able to tell when your fan should kick in when it gets kind of hot and if it doesn't then you got a serious problem.

Overheating your car could crack a head or block which be a lot of work to replace.

To test if your fan works take the connector that runs to the top of the radiator and cut the black wire with red strip and hook it directly to battery if it turns on then your fan works, if it doesn't then just in case the grounds bad take the other solid black wire that goes to that two pin radiator connecter and grund that and try again. and this time if it doesn't work get a fan from a junkyard for 20 bucks. TADAH!!!!
Old 10-12-2006, 05:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Radiator Fluid dissappearing? (screwballz)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by screwballz &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">possibly a bad headgasket.</TD></TR></TABLE>
Old 10-12-2006, 06:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Radiator Fluid dissappearing? (fizix_skate)

if it was hg there should be water in his oil, which he said there wasn't
Old 10-12-2006, 07:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Radiator Fluid dissappearing? (mikeycivic)

try checking your water bypass pipe, or check all the hoses that connect to it.
Old 10-12-2006, 08:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Radiator Fluid dissappearing? (ChinitodeNJ)

You mention you just installed a new radiator -- was the coolant bled properly? If there is air trapped in the system it could explain why you keep having to add coolant. It may also explain why the fan isn't coming on -- the fan switch measures the temperature of the coolant surrounding it. If there's an air pocket at this location the fan will not turn on.
Old 10-12-2006, 08:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Radiator Fluid dissappearing? (DaiJekBok)

yeah i would check that. but if its an older car the headgasket might be going out. my coolant vanished last year and soon after i blew my headgasket
Old 10-12-2006, 09:12 PM

Default Re: Radiator Fluid dissappearing? (DaiJekBok)

hm how do i check the air thingy? and how do i release the air? any pictures or writing so i can try. i did drain the radiator and flush it before installing it.
Old 10-12-2006, 09:14 PM

the car i have is a 95 civic si hatchback.
Old 10-13-2006, 02:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (vi3tromanc3r)

take off rad cap, turn on car and let it run, the air will escape through the lid. As coolant gets lower do to air being released, add coolant!
Old 10-13-2006, 03:56 AM
Help we my pennies

Default Re: (mikeycivic)

I looked in my coolant res bottle and it was empty, so i filled it up, and checked it a few days and it was empty again.. wher is the coolant going?
Im not over heating, so whats the deal?

how can you check for white smoke in the winter?

Quick Reply: Radiator Fluid dissappearing?