Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Radiator fan not running and engine overheating

Old 06-27-2012, 09:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Radiator fan not running and engine overheating

So randomly today my fan is not cutting on, I tested the fan it def works if straight wired etc. My engine begins to overheat only after a few miles down the road. Upper rad hose boiling hot and the lower hose is fairly cool and can be held w/no problems.

There is a gurgling sound or boiling sound coming from around the thermostat and inside the water neck item that runs to the water pump to the thermostat.
I pulled my thermostat and got roughly an extra 3-4 more miles out of it before running hot again. I'm not certain but after searching it seems my thermo is the issue? You guys got any info/help to fig out if it is indeed the issue?

thanks.
Old 06-28-2012, 02:21 AM
Trial User

Default Re: Strange and random overheating problem?:

You need to change your thermostat take it out put it in a pot of water bring it to the boil if it opens its good if not its bad you can run a car with no stat till you get a new one not advised for long term fix just to get you to a motor factors
Old 06-28-2012, 02:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Use oem thermostat and thermostat o ring gasket from Honda .
Old 06-28-2012, 02:35 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Bringing your thermostat to a full boil in a pot is a horrible diagnostic tool. If you really want to boil it, at least use a candy thermometer to make sure it's open at the correct temperature.

Even without the thermostat installed, the car still overheats? Did you try touching the lower rad hose after it overheated without the thermostat installed? Diagnostically that might be useful - if it's still cold, you have a flow problem somewhere. Without a thermostat, the car really shouldn't be overheating.

Did you properly bleed the system after all of this finagling? What kind of coolant are you using? Any other modifications we should know about? If you drive with the fan hardwired on, does the car still overheat?
Old 06-28-2012, 02:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Have you had any loss of coolant, or bled of all the older coolant and used a new bottle? What brand was/is it anyways. It could more than likely be the thermostat since you did mention the lower hose was cool with it still installed.
Old 06-28-2012, 05:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 43 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Re: Radiator fan not running and engine overheating

Don't ever run without a thermostat. If it's bad, replace it.

Consider that your radiator may be bad.
Old 06-28-2012, 06:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I drove it last night, around 60-65 degrees out, fan hardwired, thermostat out, upper hose was burning hot and lower hose was cold to the touch. System was not fully drained/bled just left the cap off and ran it for awhile so it could bubble out some air?

I do not plan to keep the stat out just trying to see if it were the issue. I assume since it was out although it took longer for it to overheat it still did so I guess it isn't the issue?
Old 06-28-2012, 07:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I'm outside right now, 82-85 degree's have the cap off filled the rad, got the heat on full blast and both hoses are hot still though the upper is more hot. But it isn't overheating.. I plan to drive it around the block soon to see.
Old 06-28-2012, 07:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

maybe fan is dead no? get a volt meter and see what kind of volts getting from the fan hookup. May need to replace fan itself.
Old 06-28-2012, 07:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Fan is working fine, I did what I posted earlier then took it around the block. It's close to 90-95 degree's now. I drove for about 10 minutes then I heard a sizzling sound check out under my hood and it is leaking where the neck goes into the waterpump. I'm putting it on the lift soon and will see if it is a bad gasket where the neck goes into the pump, cut/cracked hose or whatever. I'll keep you guys posted.

Thanks for the help.
Old 06-28-2012, 09:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine just started this the other day on my way home from Marshall, Tx. Thank God I looked down at the gauge and saw it. The fan on my ek hade been replaced with aftermarket oem knock off. I had an extra oem sitting at the house and replaced it and even added water wetter for the heck of it and the gauge still fluctuates up and down. I let the system burp for a while and ran the heater too. Figured I would start with the thermostat and swap it out. Let me know if you figure anything out.
Old 06-28-2012, 10:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

With the cabin heater on, it was acting as a radiator. I suspect the radiator is blocked as well as a possible bad fan switch.
Old 06-28-2012, 11:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I agree, really sounds like a combination of bad fan switch and clogged or partally clogged radiator. I have had a few fan switches (located by thermostat) go bad in my day. easy fix, good luck
Old 06-28-2012, 11:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What car, engine etc? Radiator cheap, $70, also, the water pipe that runs across the block at the rear between thermostat and water pump has oring at each end. Is this where it leaks? Not an easy replace. Meke sure its not one of the many coolant hoses back there. The cooling system is pressurized to raise the boiling point of the coolant. Try a new radiator cap maybe. But might as well replace that radiator.
Old 06-30-2012, 11:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Frank Brennan
You need to change your thermostat take it out put it in a pot of water bring it to the boil if it opens its good if not its bad you can run a car with no stat till you get a new one not advised for long term fix just to get you to a motor factors

Or just leave the thermostat on & squeeze one of the hoses and listen for the 'jiggle pin' - if you hear it jiggle your thermostat is fine.
Old 07-03-2012, 06:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Went through yesterday and flushed the entire system out a couple of time getting all the little built up stuff out. Then swapped in a new thermostat and gasket as well as fan switch and refilled the system and burped it. So far mine seems to be running cooler so we will see. Any luck on yours EFjams24?
Old 07-03-2012, 07:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I feel that you definitely need to check your fan switch to solve the problem you're having. I've had to change mine twice.