Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Radiator/cooling system issues

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2010, 05:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Radiator/cooling system issues

I'm not 100% sure if there's an issue or not, but something doesn't seem right. I've been searching for about the past hour or so through here and d-series. The reason I'm concerned is because I'm going on a rather long road trip soon and I just want to make sure everything is good to roll.

I'm pretty sure the radiator fan never turns on, and I'm also worried that the coolant isn't circulating properly. My temperature gauge usually resides 1/4 of the way up the meter (so halfway to halfway, if that makes sense), unless I'm in bumper to bumper, stop and go traffic. Then it gets to just under half way, sometimes right on. I've never seen it go higher, but I haven't driven the car for more than an hour at a time since swapping in the new engine (D16Z6) and changing the radiator that was cracked about a week ago.

I'm trying to figure out how to troubleshoot to find out

1) if the fan is working properly
2) if not, what's wrong and how to fix it
3) if it is working properly, find out that the rest of the cooling system is functioning properly

Thanks in advance guys!
Old 06-20-2010, 06:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Radiator/cooling system issues

you need to start the car and let it run for a while, feel the upper and lower rad hoses when its all the way warm, and make sure they are both warm and both pressurized, you will have to wait to see if the fan kicks on and if it doesnt then either use a logic probe, but they are pricy, it allows you to check for power and ground and also apply power and ground, if you just have a test light, use it to see if your getting a completed circuit and if it lights up and the fan isnt working then you know you have a bad fan, check all your fuses and make sure the radiator cap is good, if you didnt replace it with the new radiator i suggest you do so.
Old 06-21-2010, 03:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

it should stay about 1/2 way when its warned up to temp ..sounds like the the thermostat is stuck open

and the fan will not run till the switch reaches operating temp

id replace the thermostat then refill the system and do the bleeding process and see what happens .
Old 06-21-2010, 04:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by tonyhatchetman
it should stay about 1/2 way when its warned up to temp ..sounds like the the thermostat is stuck open

and the fan will not run till the switch reaches operating temp

id replace the thermostat then refill the system and do the bleeding process and see what happens .
Would the thermostat being stuck open explain why there's constantly heat coming from the vents, even when it's not on? That happens too.