Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Rack and Pinion Steering and Brake Line Washers

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2008, 11:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rack and Pinion Steering and Brake Line Washers

My car (1994 civic dx) had to be towed (free by my insurance ) to my mechanic since the clutch line broke and that was the only place that could help me out in a short amount of time.

While the car was there I asked for an alignment and to check the front brakes (since my fluid periodically runs low).

This is what he said...
1. He could not do an alignment since the "rack and pinion steering was leaking from the boot and the numbers wouldn't line up" and reccomended a complete overhaul.
2. They guy also suggested replacing the washers on the calipers (where the line meets the caliper) and re-bleeding the system.

I don't know much of anything about the steering on these cars but the things he said seemed a bit fishy. The car has also been horribly unstable since I got it back too

Anyone able to give me some advice?
Old 04-22-2008, 01:16 PM

Default Re: Rack and Pinion Steering and Brake Line Washers (slacks)

any bumps? i feel like these guys [freak]ed with my car.
Old 04-22-2008, 02:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

the steering rack doesn't hold any fluid, just a small amount of grease -- i've never seen anything "leak" from a honda rack so that's a bunch of . a torn boot on the steering rack is common but, unless the rack was toast, it wouldn't affect the alignment.

as for the front brakes, the washers that he's referring to are the copper crush washers which should really be replaced everytime the brake line is removed. this actually could be where the leak is coming from -- you'd see fluid on the caliper if this was the case. obviously, if the lines are disconnected to replace those washers, the system would have to be rebled. i'd bet money that the leak was elsewhere though.

Modified by Phoenix_ITR at 1:02 PM 4/28/2008
Old 04-22-2008, 03:09 PM

Default Re: Rack and Pinion Steering and Brake Line Washers (Phoenix_ITR)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Phoenix_ITR &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
as for the front brakes, the washers that he's referring to are the copper crush washers which should really be replaced everytime the brake line is removed</TD></TR></TABLE>

that's new to me actually. i'll have to get on that this weekend

as for the steering and alignment, i'm just going to take it to my friend who works at honda.. at least i can trust him

they have never said anything about they steering rack until now and i've never had a problem with it as the car handles and turns just as it should.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Phoenix_ITR &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i've never seen anything "leak" from a honda rack so that's a bunch of . a torn boot on the steering rack is common but, unless the rack was toast, it would affect the alignment.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

and that sounded fishy too... especially when he quoted me for $800 for the repair job on that
would there be a way to know if the car's rack was completely toast?
Old 04-22-2008, 03:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by slacks &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
and that sounded fishy too... especially when he quoted me for $800 for the repair job on that
would there be a way to know if the car's rack was completely toast?</TD></TR></TABLE>

$800 is obscene for any form of steering rack repair on these cars.

if the rack was junk, you'd feel play in it. if everything seems fine, then i'd assume the rack was fine. if there's no play and the boot happens to be torn, just regrease the rack and replace the boot and you're good to go.
Old 04-22-2008, 03:18 PM

Default Re: Rack and Pinion Steering and Brake Line Washers (Phoenix_ITR)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Phoenix_ITR &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
if the rack was junk, you'd feel play in it. if everything seems fine, then i'd assume the rack was fine. if there's no play and the boot happens to be torn, just regrease the rack and replace the boot and you're good to go. </TD></TR></TABLE>

cool! i guess my mechanic can't be trusted anymore! reminded me why i started working on cars in the first place lol
Old 04-22-2008, 03:20 PM
Resident Gearhead

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

WOW what a bunch of bullshit. Go that guy.

$800 rack overhaul gimme a fvcking break
Old 04-28-2008, 01:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Rack and Pinion Steering and Brake Line Washers (mcvtec)

I agree with everything Pheonix_ITR said. Time for a new mechanic!
Good luck.
Old 04-28-2008, 07:05 PM

Default Re: Rack and Pinion Steering and Brake Line Washers (Fresh'86)

yeah
i ordered the crush washers from a local dealership friday so i'll try and replace them tomorrow

just need an alignment.... horribly :[