Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Racing Pulley question/opinion

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2006, 10:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Racing Pulley question/opinion

I currently have a small Racing OEM style crank pulley on my GSR. (It was on the motor when purchased)

I've heard tales of sitting in traffic for long periords of time and the car dying (probably with the air on) cause it was running off the battery, not the alt due to the smaller style pulley not charging the car.

I'm usually not one to buy "Racing parts" cause they are usually just for that; Racing.

I'll be putting my AC back on the car soon (just in time for winter) haha and I was wondering if anyone has had any bad luck with these or not.

Curious...
Old 09-06-2006, 10:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would replace it with OEM for A/C. The purpose behind the lighter pulley, is less force is required to move it, therefore more power available.
Old 09-06-2006, 10:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (TougeSiR)

also accelerate faster... however the Newtons First law comes into play here. Objects in motion tend to stay in motion......... The stock ones are heavier and will stay in motion with less effort. Its the same with the flywheel issue. You will accelerate faster but you will have to rev higher to launch.

You're really suppose to have your internals rebalanced when having a lighter crank pulley since the stock motor was balanced with the stock pulley.
Old 09-06-2006, 11:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I have been fortunate enough to run the N1 Race Base pulley (alternator only) on my B16 del Sol with no harmonic balancer for 60k+ miles with no adverse effects so far.

Engine currently has 151k miles on it and appears to still be going strong, uses no oil, makes no noises (pinging, knocking, etc...)

The pulley along with removing the power-steering and A/C was one of my favorite modifications so far, simply because it made the car so much more fun to drive.
Old 09-07-2006, 05:16 AM

Cool Thanks guys. I was really leaning towards an OEM one anyway. (and it came on the engine)In my eyes its useless. I was just wondering who else out there had any input or expierence with something simular.

~

Modified by Satanshatch at 6:27 AM 9/7/2006