Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Racing Harness and Roll Bar Set-Up

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2006, 04:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Racing Harness and Roll Bar Set-Up

Today I should be receiveing and installing my F1Spec Racing Seat and I was thinking abou ordering a Racing Harness. I've come down to either getting a Crow Harness or a used and fairly cheap Takata. I have a few questions I would like answered before I do anything though. In the very near future I plan on also running an AutoPower Stree/Sport 4-Point Roll Cage with an attached Harness Bar. Now, I know when I do this I will need to purchase a SHORT Version Harness so it can attatch to the Roll Bar behind the Seat, opposed to if I didnt run a Roll Bar and just did the AutoPower 4-Point Cage, I would need a LONG Version Harness to bolt behind the Seats in the Rear Seat area. I've heard that it is not good/safe to run the Long Harness's and bolt them to the Floor behind the Seat and that if you run a Harness you should ALWAYS use a Harness Bar with it. Is this true? Is there any reasoning behind it or is it just personal preference?

My Question is this . . . . I would like to purchase a Harness NOW, before I purchase the AutoPower Roll Cage (which probably wont be for a couple of Months) Now, if I do purchase a Harness now, what should I do? If I get a SHORT Version Harness which would be what I would need to run with the Roll Bar, would I be able to use it WITHOUT thhe Roll Bar now? Or is that a type of Harness that can only be used with Roll Bars? OR, should I get the LONG Version Harness now, bolt it up to the Floor behind the Seat, then use the LONG Version Harness with the Roll Bar? Is that even possible? Using a LONG Version Harness with a Roll Bar? Or should I just wait untill I get the Cage/Roll Bar and then buy a SHORT Version Harness and do it all at once?

Any help/suggestions is appreciated

Ant
Old 08-22-2006, 07:25 AM

Okay heres the short of it...

I see people ALL THE TIME with harnesses bolted to the floor board of the car.

ITS ******* DANGEROUS PEOPLE !

DO NOT EVER bolt a harness to the floorboard of a car. The angle of the harness and the likleyhood of you getting into a high impact could compress your spine. Let me repeat. COMPRESS YOUR SPINE. Stem cell research will own your *** and you'll be rocking a harness in a wheel chair if you end up crippled. Don't believe me? Go out and get your self into a crash with harnesses that are improperly installed. You'll find out.

Did you ALL hear that ? Yeah it looks cool bla bla bla, but it's not the correct way to do it. Your harness should be at a certian degree angle. I think no less than something like 80-85 degrees (I could be incorrect, someone please correct me if I'm wrong)

As for the stock seat belts, heres a tip. #1 Keep them in your car no matter if you have harnesses in there or not. They are illegal in all 50 states due to saftey reasons and you can be ticketed for them. Believe me I know from expierence. haha.

#2 If you intend on putting a cage in the car, buy your set up for the cage as if you had it now. You'll spend less in the long run and be happier.

#3 Stay away from Crow seatbelts. There much more difficult to take on and off and are a pain in the ***. Cam locks are fairly easy to operate on the Takata harness.

Hope that helped, and please be mindful about your set up.
Old 08-22-2006, 09:49 AM

Thanks man. Yea, I'm DEFENITELY not rocking a Harness untill I get my Roll Bar. I like my Spinal Cord thank you. I did plan on keeping the OEM Seatbelts in the Car because Cops around here would love to bust my *** for a Harness. I just know it. The Crow Harness's do have a Cam Lock Set-Up and that was what I was intending on getting, unless I find a relatively cheap Takata. Thanks for your help bro.
Old 08-22-2006, 09:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (EM1:_hotness)

No cop should try and bust you for a 4 pt harness. Its MUCH safer then the 3 point if properly installed. You can still use a long harness with a roll bar BTW.
Old 08-22-2006, 10:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Satanshatch)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Satanshatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Okay heres the short of it...

I see people ALL THE TIME with harnesses bolted to the floor board of the car.

ITS ******* DANGEROUS PEOPLE !

DO NOT EVER bolt a harness to the floorboard of a car. The angle of the harness and the likleyhood of you getting into a high impact could compress your spine. Let me repeat. COMPRESS YOUR SPINE. Stem cell research will own your *** and you'll be rocking a harness in a wheel chair if you end up crippled. Don't believe me? Go out and get your self into a crash with harnesses that are improperly installed. You'll find out.

Did you ALL hear that ? Yeah it looks cool bla bla bla, but it's not the correct way to do it. Your harness should be at a certian degree angle. I think no less than something like 80-85 degrees (I could be incorrect, someone please correct me if I'm wrong) </TD></TR></TABLE>

+2
Old 08-22-2006, 10:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (slow poke)

Also let me add this. I know this is wrong to say but "I READ" a very long article in a street magazine I guess about a year ago or so and I think it was super street or compact something I forget but I remember the article very well.

PLEASE DO NOT BUY A USED SEAT BELT! All seat belts fade over time. Even the best. The stitching and whatnot get stale if you will. Now this is information that was tested and true racing harnesses are replaced every few years.
They dry rot over time and other things. Imagine hitting a wall at 100 to 120 mph and have a belt break for various reasons.
I say this because it is your safety and if it takes you 2 weeks or a month to save up for a new one you will be miles ahead in personal comfort.

Do as you wish and I risk possible flaming but I really don't care.
Don't skimp on the **** that could and will save your life.<U></U>
Old 08-22-2006, 10:33 AM

It maybe true but I see people rocking Used Takatas all the time with no problems. I would obviously not buy a beat to hell Takata that had fraying and damage done to it. The only Harness I would ever buy used is a Takata because of the ridiculous price they go for brand new. If I dont buy a used Takata I will buy a Brand New Crow Harness. I defenitely want a 3" Harness though.
Old 08-22-2006, 12:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (EM1:_hotness)

Ok just be careful is all I say.
Old 08-22-2006, 04:04 PM

Default Re: (slow poke)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by slow poke &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">No cop should try and bust you for a 4 pt harness. Its MUCH safer then the 3 point if properly installed. You can still use a long harness with a roll bar BTW.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Check your local state statue. OEM Seat belts are required. If a cop wants to be a dick and open up the law book he CAN write you a ticket.

As far as used harneses, if there from a street driven car I'd say no big deal. BIG time driver teams replace the harneses if the car has been in a accident, and after a certian amount of time due to the stress on the material etc. But Takata has become a fasion/status statement rather than a function thing. Rock on, just be smart !