Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

R&P / Power Steering Leaking (searched)

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2006, 11:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default R&P / Power Steering Leaking (searched)

Okay so... just recently i noticed a tiny puddle underneath my car, so i looked from the top of the engine bay and i found that it was the line that goes from the power steering reservoir to the rear of the engine bay that the line has gotten so corroded that it has decided to start leaking ... at first i thought it was going to be an easy fix, maybe a do-it-myself for sure. just for good measure we know the guys at the local honda dealership pretty well so i brought the car for them to tell me exactly what i should do, they told me that yeah that's what was leaking and it's corroded pretty bad, although they quoted the repair at $1100 (CDN) as they want to replace the entire Rack and Pinion power steering assembly. To clarify they said the power steering assembly was roughly $500 if i remember correctly, and than another 4-5 hours of labour at $95/hour.

I might be doing the repair myself, and just buying an aftermarket power steering assembly for my car, I'd reaaaaaaaally appreciate some advice, things to remember, like has anyone installed an aftermarket power steeting system on a 95 coupe (ej1). anyone with actual knowledge of mechanics, or experience in this type of installation please let me know. thank you in advance.
Old 04-21-2006, 07:35 AM

Default Re: R&P / Power Steering Leaking (alpous)

no one???
Old 04-21-2006, 07:40 PM

i thought this was called honda-tech... someone atleast give me an opinion please
Old 04-23-2006, 09:48 PM

bump, honda-TECHHHHH ?
Old 04-23-2006, 10:55 PM
RTI

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by alpous &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Okay so... just recently i noticed a tiny puddle underneath my car, so i looked from the top of the engine bay and i found that it was the line that goes from the power steering reservoir to the rear of the engine bay that the line has gotten so corroded that it has decided to start leaking ... at first i thought it was going to be an easy fix, maybe a do-it-myself for sure. just for good measure we know the guys at the local honda dealership pretty well so i brought the car for them to tell me exactly what i should do, they told me that yeah that's what was leaking and it's corroded pretty bad, although they quoted the repair at $1100 (CDN) as they want to replace the entire Rack and Pinion power steering assembly. To clarify they said the power steering assembly was roughly $500 if i remember correctly, and than another 4-5 hours of labour at $95/hour.

I might be doing the repair myself, and just buying an aftermarket power steering assembly for my car, I'd reaaaaaaaally appreciate some advice, things to remember, like has anyone installed an aftermarket power steeting system on a 95 coupe (ej1). anyone with actual knowledge of mechanics, or experience in this type of installation please let me know. thank you in advance. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Are you sure it is the line from the power steering reservoir? I thought this line goes from the reservoir to the pump. If you are talking about the line that goes from the pump toward the rear to the rack, you just need to get another one from the junkyard.
Old 04-25-2006, 09:05 AM

Default Re: R&P / Power Steering Leaking (RTI)

for lack of extensive knowledge on engine bay work... it's the 2 lines that are down towards the rack like you said, infront of the firewall, and behind the oil pan...

i'll go by the junkyard so i can get a better look at theirs