Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Quiet intake and exhaust?

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2007, 06:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Quiet intake and exhaust?

I've got a poor man's type R in a 92 hatch and it's too loud for me. As far as typical "tuned" hondas go it's pretty quiet (Greddy SP2 is on it now). I'd like it to be nearly as quiet as a stock GSR/type R. I'm having a harder time finding a stock GSR or type R muffler than I thought I would so I might go aftermarket. It's also got a cheapo short ram intake that's loud as hell. I was thinking Comptech's icebox but I don't see an application for an EG. Any thoughts?

Cliff notes: I have a semi built GSR in an EG. How can I make it as quiet as possible?
Old 03-04-2007, 06:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Quiet intake and exhaust? (Flite)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Flite &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Cliff notes: I have a semi built GSR in an EG. How can I make it as quiet as possible?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Drive normal?
Old 03-04-2007, 06:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Quiet intake and exhaust? (EL Vap133)

stock intake / exhaust?
Old 03-04-2007, 06:30 PM

Default Re: Quiet intake and exhaust? (Turbo_y8)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EL Vap133 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Drive normal? </TD></TR></TABLE>

Thanks genius. I hardly ever drive the car and when I do, I'm not out hauling *** on public roads.

The fact is I'm too old for a noisy Honda. Even in normal day to day driving, it makes more noise than I'd like. It's a simple question. How can I make this car as quiet as possible?

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Turbo_y8 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">stock intake / exhaust? </TD></TR></TABLE>

If i could find one I would. I live in hawaii and it's turning out to be a lot harder to find stock stuff than I thought it would be. If I could find some stock stuff I'd put it on there. Aside from stock, what's the quietest aftermarket stuff you can get?
Old 03-04-2007, 06:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Comptech's icebox modify it to fit the EG ...i thinks there plenty of room
Old 03-04-2007, 07:10 PM

Default Re: (deadline)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by deadline &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Comptech's icebox modify it to fit the EG ...i thinks there plenty of room</TD></TR></TABLE>

This pretty common? I'd hate to spend the money on a Comptech part only to hack it up hoping it'll fit.
Old 03-04-2007, 08:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Flite)

I have the Greddy SP2 exhaust,
I believe it's for FI applications.

but with my Turboed car, you really can't hear it.

I'd swap yours with a Apei world sport, and get a full CAI, instead of a short ram intake.

the CAI will mostly sound loud on WOT.
Old 03-04-2007, 09:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Daniel-sanB1)

I would imagine that the intake is going to sound a little louder then stock, or you can aways hack up the CAI tube with the stock airbox
Old 03-04-2007, 09:47 PM

Default Re: (95jdmcivic)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 95jdmcivic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I would imagine that the intake is going to sound a little louder then stock, or you can aways hack up the CAI tube with the stock airbox</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah I thought about that. It's just a temporary setup but the OCD in me won't let me drive around with a hack job. We'll see.
Old 03-04-2007, 11:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

im in hawaii too. have you tried forumshawaii.net ?
Old 03-05-2007, 01:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (marshun)

Don't take me wrong but you have a motor built for performing well on the race track.
It was not designed to be quiet.

On the other hand I do know what you want with a quiet car. A stock airbox/tube and just take the "extras" off the airbox should get you pretty close to the stock sound minus WOT.

If your exhaust is still too loud you could fab in a 12" resonator after the cat as well, or replace the cat with an aftermarket. I am not talking a high-flow look alike.

Just some thoughts.
Old 03-05-2007, 03:08 PM

Default Re: (sauceja)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by sauceja &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Don't take me wrong but you have a motor built for performing well on the race track.
It was not designed to be quiet.

On the other hand I do know what you want with a quiet car. A stock airbox/tube and just take the "extras" off the airbox should get you pretty close to the stock sound minus WOT.

If your exhaust is still too loud you could fab in a 12" resonator after the cat as well, or replace the cat with an aftermarket. I am not talking a high-flow look alike.

Just some thoughts.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah I know what it is right now. I bought this car for the parts on it. It's being taken off the streets in about a year and the race motor goes in shortly thereafter (700-800whp +, I'll patiently await the roll eyes icons). In the mean time, it IS a pretty fun car to drive around day to day, it's just too loud for a street car in my opinion. If I get on it even a little bit, I feel like an old man driving a teenager's car. I've been out of the Honda game for a few years now (working on my ~500whp VW, but that's another story) so I'm not really current with what parts are what for a street car anymore. Race cars are another story, but this isn't a race car...yet.

I think I'm gonna weld a resonator in it to try and quiet it down a bit and see how that goes, I'm still looking for ideas for a quiet intake though. If I can't find one I'll just live with it and pick up one of those CF whale dicks.
Old 03-05-2007, 03:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In all actuality though intakes only scream at WOT so no biggy.
Resonator or cat may help for what your after.

Otherwise if its a little loud then let the haters hate. That is there job.
Old 03-05-2007, 03:22 PM
FAILWGN

Default Re: (sauceja)

Try a stock Type R muffler or RSX type S muffler with custom made exhaust that has plenty of resonator. Use a catalytic convertor too. For an intake, can you use the stock GSR airbox?
Old 03-05-2007, 03:47 PM
* B A N N E D *

Default Re: (Blu99teg)

if a street car is too loud for you, i DO NOT reccommend you go race, you will hate racing guarentted man,

as far as i see it, you saying you want a race motor etc, there is not option for a stock civic exhaust on a turbo k20 man unless you want to turn that t4 into a grenade

cliff notes: you = too old for mild street car sound

you= give up racing after 5 minutes, these cars on the track arent you're moms merceades dude, half of em run no exhaust, and if thy do its a pipe
Old 03-05-2007, 03:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I think he understand his race motor will be loud, he just wants his more mild street car to be quieter.

I say leave the intake, ot get whatever other intake you want, and either add a resonator(s) to quiet it down.

Have you ever heard a car with an RS*R catback? They arent very loud.
Old 03-05-2007, 03:56 PM
Ek Forever y0!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: (honda_racing101)

i got an em1 oem muffler welded onto mandrel 2.25" piping.

Super quiet and looks great.
Old 03-05-2007, 05:18 PM

Default Re: (spork motorsports)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by spork motorsports &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">if a street car is too loud for you, i DO NOT reccommend you go race, you will hate racing guarentted man,

as far as i see it, you saying you want a race motor etc, there is not option for a stock civic exhaust on a turbo k20 man unless you want to turn that t4 into a grenade

cliff notes: you = too old for mild street car sound

you= give up racing after 5 minutes, these cars on the track arent you're moms merceades dude, half of em run no exhaust, and if thy do its a pipe </TD></TR></TABLE>

haha, I'm fully aware of how loud a race car is. I've been in this scene for 11 years, and I've been racing everything from snowmobiles (professionally) to motoX to shifter carts longer than that. The race motor is already a done deal and a T4 is well south of what I'll be running (Precision GT4067R).

What you'll probably learn if you ever start competitively racing is that after you get used to racing on a closed course, you end up realizing that there's nothing to prove on the streets and you end up wanting a milder street car. My daily driver is either my '06 Pilot or a 94 EG hatch that's 100% bone stock. While I'm waiting to take this other car off the street, I'd like to tone it down a bit so it's not so annoying to listen to. It IS a fun car, so why not enjoy it for a little while?

Bottom line, I'd enjoy driving it daily if it wear a little bit quieter.
Old 03-05-2007, 05:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Like marshun said, "Have you tried forumshawaii.net?" I've sourced out a lot of parts from that site, usually for cheap too.
Old 03-05-2007, 05:54 PM

Default Re: (808draggers)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 808draggers &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Like marshun said, "Have you tried forumshawaii.net?" I've sourced out a lot of parts from that site, usually for cheap too.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah i've been asking on there for a while. I've found an RSX-S muffler (too long), an S2000 muffler (too restrictive) and an LS muffler (not sure how they flow compared to a GSR or type R muffler). I've got a line on a type R muffler on here now, I'd just have to pay to ship it.
Old 03-05-2007, 06:02 PM

Default Re: Quiet intake and exhaust? (Flite)

nothing to fancy but i'm running a dynomax 2.5 inch surper turbo muffler with custome piping and its pretty quiet. wot, you can def hear it but its a low tone no weed wacker.