Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

quiet exhuast on a budget

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2004, 06:23 PM
mc
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default quiet exhuast on a budget

I am new to the import scene but i recently got a 92 civic dx and it doesn't have any real modifications on it other than a muffler with like a 4" tip on it and cai. I plan to do some engine mods in the future and headers and catback exhaust but I don't want it to be so ridiculously loud. what options do I have for the time being? I am on a budget. But I plan on doing a mini me w/ a cam and springs and retainers this summer or fall so what should I do w/ that in mind. Just get a stock muffler or get a cheap cat back off ebay. Remember I am on a budget and don't want to attract a lot of attention from the cops and neighbors so quiet is good. I tried searching but coudn't come up with the answer I am looking for.
Thanks
Mike
Old 01-04-2004, 06:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: quiet exhuast on a budget (mc)

Find a stock exhaust on here. I've seen them go for like 50 bucks. Or an ITR exhaust. Those are quiet and fairly inexpensive.
Old 01-04-2004, 07:05 PM
mc
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: quiet exhuast on a budget (Ricey McRicerton)

if I go with the itr should I buy it from the cat back or just the muffler and will it fit on a four door? do you know how much it goes for? Also what year itr I am sorry for all the newb questions but I got to learn somewhere.
Thanks
Mike
Old 01-04-2004, 07:06 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Tuffy special with stock muffler.
Old 01-04-2004, 07:07 PM

As far as the muffler goes, it doesn't matter what year. Not sure as far as catback goes, but should be all good aslong as the 'R' is DC2 chassis. Correct me if I'm wrong...I know you want too.
Old 01-04-2004, 08:27 PM
mc
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: quiet exhuast on a budget (One Term President)

well I guess my question now would be would there be any difference between the stock cat and piping on a itr and my civic?
Old 01-04-2004, 08:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

stock muffler works fine with stock motors...and it's free to boot!!!
Old 01-04-2004, 08:31 PM
JwM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: quiet exhuast on a budget (acydphryck)

yeah, nothing wrong with stock.. I am sure you could find someone that will hook you up with a stocker for free... No sense in buying one when you could just as easy find one from someone that changed theirs out...
Old 01-04-2004, 08:36 PM
mc
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: quiet exhuast on a budget (MaboroshiNinja)

not really possible where I live for free at least
Old 01-04-2004, 08:38 PM
mc
Honda-Tech Member

but back to my post above about the itr piping vs. stock
Old 01-04-2004, 08:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

go to local muffler shop... custom 2.25" piping... grab a cheap magnaflow or es oval muffler while you're at it. that 4" tip and muffler is something that i highly doubt helps....

it'll be relatively quiet, and fits the budget. wont be as good as an aftermarket catback for obvious reasons (mandrel vs. crimp bends, quality)... but it sure will fit the budget.

good luck, the above is my setup
Old 01-04-2004, 08:46 PM
mc
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: quiet exhuast on a budget (jdmsiR20)

sounds good jdmsiR20 I think I will go for that
Old 01-04-2004, 09:11 PM

Default Re: quiet exhuast on a budget (acydphryck)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by acydphryck &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">stock muffler works fine with stock motors...and it's free to boot!!! </TD></TR></TABLE>

Old 01-04-2004, 11:17 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: quiet exhuast on a budget (TwistedSI)

i heard from somewhere a type r muffle needs some modifications to fit?? if its not a b!tch to do and inexpensive, i'd love to have a itr muffle on my hatch.. anyone kno what i need FOSHO..??
Old 01-05-2004, 09:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jdmsiR20 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">go to local muffler shop... custom 2.25" piping... grab a cheap magnaflow or es oval muffler while you're at it. that 4" tip and muffler is something that i highly doubt helps....

it'll be relatively quiet, and fits the budget. wont be as good as an aftermarket catback for obvious reasons (mandrel vs. crimp bends, quality)... but it sure will fit the budget.

good luck, the above is my setup </TD></TR></TABLE>

Even with a resonator... there is nothing quiet about a magnaflow... I had a magnaflow cat-back. Called magnaflow to ask about why it was so loud in certain rpm ranges. Discussed it with the rep for a while... Eventually the rep said :

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by MagnaflowRep &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Dude... Its a performance exhaust... Its loud...</TD></TR></TABLE>

The exhaust was top notch quality, but too loud for me in the daily driver.

Take a look at the 99-00SI muffler, or a gsr or type r muffler. I believe that they are all at least 2". 2" is fine if you are staying NA.
Old 01-05-2004, 09:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i suggest getting any turbo series muffler from dynomax. even if you decide to run a straight pipe and enlarged piping without a resonator, the dynomax turbo mufflers are capable of eliminating a lot of noise on their own. They also claim to flow around 30% better than stock. Hope that helps.
Old 01-05-2004, 10:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mc &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">but back to my post above about the itr piping vs. stock</TD></TR></TABLE>

I am almost 100% sure that the ITR piping will be wayyyyyyyy bigger than the stock DX piping. I don't know if the DX uses the same piping as the CX. If so, my CX piping was like a noodle compared to 2.5" piping. With a stock DX I wouldn't worry too much about the piping at this point (if you plan on a swap). If no swap is planned get custom piping done with an ITR muffler. I plan to get rid of my loud exhaust when I bQQst. Got to make sure I hear the psssssssttttttttt when shifting, lol.
Old 01-05-2004, 11:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: quiet exhuast on a budget (kommon_sense)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by kommon_sense &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Even with a resonator... there is nothing quiet about a magnaflow... I had a magnaflow cat-back.

The exhaust was top notch quality, but too loud for me in the daily driver.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

true, but "loud" is an opinion... i personallly love mine
Old 01-05-2004, 11:19 AM

ive got a stock exhaust for sale, cheak sig!
Old 01-05-2004, 11:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jdmsiR20 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

true, but "loud" is an opinion... i personallly love mine </TD></TR></TABLE>

VERY true. However I wasn't happy when I spent nearly $300 on something that everyone said was quiet and got a headache everyday from all of the noise. There is nothing quiet about them. Whether or not it is liveable depends on who is listening.
Old 01-05-2004, 11:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Loudness of an exhaust also depends on wether you are stripped out or not. I know my exhaust seemed to quiet down quite a bit after I put my rear seats and everything back in my hatch.
Old 01-05-2004, 11:51 AM
GDD's DJ EX-M0D

Default Re: quiet exhuast on a budget (Ricey McRicerton)

Fan of the Dynomax turbo series here. I did 2.25" piping and Dynomax turbo muffler all for $130. I love it
Old 01-05-2004, 12:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: quiet exhuast on a budget (Gumtape_Deathmatch)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Gumtape_Deathmatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">dude your exhaust will automatically get quiet once you boost. i had i guess what most consider one of the loudest (apex n1) and after going turbo i couldnt hear it anymore. missed it a lot too.

apex n1 = loud
apex n1+boost=quiet</TD></TR></TABLE>

My Apex'i Dunk exhaust is not that quiet with boost. I don't really think it's any quieter than it was when I was running all motor.
Old 01-05-2004, 03:59 PM

Default Re: quiet exhuast on a budget (Gumtape_Deathmatch)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Gumtape_Deathmatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">go with the ITR. I have one on my hatch with a b20vtec and it keeps the nasties offa me. I use RSR b pipe, but you can just get a custom 2.25" from the shop.</TD></TR></TABLE>

sorry for the newb question but what is the "b pipe"?
Old 01-08-2004, 02:25 PM
mc
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by kommon_sense &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Take a look at the 99-00SI muffler, or a gsr or type r muffler. I believe that they are all at least 2". 2" is fine if you are staying NA.</TD></TR></TABLE>

if I get the itr or gsr exhaust axle back will it just bolt up to my dx 4 door exhaust or will I have to take it to a muffler shop and have the muffler welded on? and is that a little oversized for a mini me

Quick Reply: quiet exhuast on a budget