Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

quiet exhaust help

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2010, 05:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default quiet exhaust help

ok, i got a 92 civic si hatch, currently has the d16z6 with boltons, soon to be ls turbo, also has header with straight pipe through 2.5 skunk2 exhaust mega power i believe it is....anyways, cops are really starting to crack down on vehicle inspections here now, including db's of exhaust levels, and mine is bloody loud, my question is what brand of muffler is nice and quiet, yet wont restrict much power when i put the new engine in, so i can listen to some on youtube or something...and also if i get a muffler does it just bolt up to the rest of the exhaust, or is it just the plain old muffler with no pipe on it and have to be welded on? thanks in advance
Old 07-06-2010, 07:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: quiet exhaust help

well for starters when you throw the LS turbo on the turbo will help quiet it down alot.
otherwise ws2 or vibrant id say. probably any straight through muffler would be ok.

next time you get pulled over tell him to go do a test on just about any motorcycle. stupid that its not illegal for them but it is for us.
Old 07-06-2010, 08:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Lil_Wyte
ok, i got a 92 civic si hatch, currently has the d16z6 with boltons, soon to be ls turbo, also has header with straight pipe through 2.5 skunk2 exhaust mega power i believe it is....anyways, cops are really starting to crack down on vehicle inspections here now, including db's of exhaust levels, and mine is bloody loud, my question is what brand of muffler is nice and quiet, yet wont restrict much power when i put the new engine in, so i can listen to some on youtube or something...and also if i get a muffler does it just bolt up to the rest of the exhaust, or is it just the plain old muffler with no pipe on it and have to be welded on? thanks in advance
I would recommend the Apex-i World Sport or a RS-R ExMag These are the quietest exhausts on the market.
Old 07-06-2010, 09:43 AM
318 Curves, 11 miles

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There are tons of answers to your question, and there are tons of factors that go into how loud your exhaust is.

Are you running a resonator? Do you still have a cat? If no to either question, then your exhaust is going to be somewhat loud regardless of what muffler you have.

Any straight-through design muffler is going to be loud. Period. Some are louder than others, but they're all noticeably loud. If you truly want quiet, you'll have to go with something OE-type.

As to whether a replacement muffler bolts up to the axleback, it really depends. Some do, some don't.

So, with whatever you decide to do, you want something with a resonator at least. You also probably want something that's not straight through. And, you've indicated that you would prefer something that doesn't require welding.

Therefore, your best choice is going to be the Apexi WS2 catback. It has an integrated resonator, a non-straight-through muffler, and requires no welding. It's almost as quiet as stock, and sounds fantastic. And, it's available for right around $400 shipped from several vendors on hondamarketplace.

You're welcome
Old 07-06-2010, 01:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Vindicator9000
There are tons of answers to your question, and there are tons of factors that go into how loud your exhaust is.

Are you running a resonator? Do you still have a cat? If no to either question, then your exhaust is going to be somewhat loud regardless of what muffler you have.

Any straight-through design muffler is going to be loud. Period. Some are louder than others, but they're all noticeably loud. If you truly want quiet, you'll have to go with something OE-type.

As to whether a replacement muffler bolts up to the axleback, it really depends. Some do, some don't.

So, with whatever you decide to do, you want something with a resonator at least. You also probably want something that's not straight through. And, you've indicated that you would prefer something that doesn't require welding.

Therefore, your best choice is going to be the Apexi WS2 catback. It has an integrated resonator, a non-straight-through muffler, and requires no welding. It's almost as quiet as stock, and sounds fantastic. And, it's available for right around $400 shipped from several vendors on hondamarketplace.

You're welcome
Thank you very much, when i changed over to my skunk 2 exhaust my cat pretty much fell apart in my hand lol, and it doesnt matter to me if it has to be welded or not, my dad has been a welder for 30+ years lol
Old 07-06-2010, 01:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Red_Army
well for starters when you throw the LS turbo on the turbo will help quiet it down alot.
otherwise ws2 or vibrant id say. probably any straight through muffler would be ok.

next time you get pulled over tell him to go do a test on just about any motorcycle. stupid that its not illegal for them but it is for us.
This is how it all started, it started off with the bikes, now they are targeting everyone...
i would just like to keep the noise down for highway driving purposes..
Old 07-06-2010, 01:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

400 shipped? i thought they went up in price.
Old 07-06-2010, 02:07 PM
Retired Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

All those exhausts are overpriced. A tube is a tube.. the only thing your paying for is the name and having the ability to say whatever name brand is poking out under ur bumper. They all have the same bends etc.. just different muffler parts. Usually they need some modding to make them fit cuz not all fit the same.

Goto VRS Exhaust and get a tubing kit for cheap
Look into a Magnaflow 18" or 20" resonator
If you need a cat for inspection, then u can source one.
Vibrant makes straight thru mufflers like the stealth one for cheap.

Im running this set up and its very quiet until u punch it.

since your doing the welding yourself, you save on install charges.

Might as well build your exhaust for your turbo build now instead of having to do it over again.

If a cat isnt needed,but you still need a visual for cops, VotionSpeed.com has fake cats for 40 bucks.
Old 07-06-2010, 02:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

last week, I got pulled and written up for a WSII (apexi world sport) with only a resonator. it's quiet, but not near stock
Old 07-06-2010, 02:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

go to court and win. ws2 are not illegal in any state. i had a ws2 with straight pipe and never god pulled.
Old 07-06-2010, 02:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I like the Apexi WS Noir, apparently fashioned after the WS1 muffler. It's flat black, very unassuming.

I personally went with a simple JDM SiR axle-back. Small tip (no more than 2.5"), OEM look & quiet.
Old 07-06-2010, 02:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yeah, they are illegal here. Anything louder than stock is illegal.

� 46.2-1049. Exhaust system in good working order.

No person shall drive and no owner of a vehicle shall permit or allow the operation of any such vehicle on a highway unless it is equipped with an exhaust system in good working order and in constant operation to prevent excessive or unusual levels of noise; provided however, that for motor vehicles, such exhaust system shall be of a type installed as standard factory equipment, or comparable to that designed for use on the particular vehicle as standard factory equipment. An exhaust system shall not be deemed to prevent excessive or unusual noise if it permits the escape of noise in excess of that permitted by the standard factory equipment exhaust system of private passenger motor vehicles or trucks of standard make.
Old 07-06-2010, 02:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

wa state?
Old 07-06-2010, 02:48 PM
Retired Moderator

Ur screwed if you get pulled. Tha sucks. Glad i live in Florida where they dont care if the exhaust is dragging 20 feet behind the car.
Old 07-06-2010, 03:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i would say go with a ws2 catback, with stock cat. that will make the ls turbo sound decently quiet, and wont hold back too much power.
Old 07-06-2010, 03:48 PM
Retired Moderator

^^ it does have restrictions.. but OP can get a electric cut out for when he wants to play.
Old 07-06-2010, 03:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i know it has some restriction. but yea , i would suggest the qtp electronic one, and that will def. do the job
Old 07-06-2010, 03:53 PM
Retired Moderator

thats what i used.. worked great!
Old 07-06-2010, 03:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

stock cat is very restrictive, if you really want a cat go with a race one.
Old 07-06-2010, 03:56 PM
Retired Moderator

heres a good read for all you guys who are exhaust noobs:
http://www.nsxprime.com/FAQ/Miscella...austtheory.htm
Old 08-08-2010, 11:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

hi guys.. new to the thread but need some hlp.. d16z6 turbo with3 inch turbo back exhaust.. its way too loud and i want a quiet exhaust.. is there anyway i can have it really quiet with killing exhaust flow alot?? setups or anything.. i was just gonna go with turbo thrust muffler at the end of my 3 in piping.. other ideas?? help please.. can take of the setup if u need them to help