Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Quide to installing coilovers/shocks?

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2009, 05:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Quide to installing coilovers/shocks?

I just bought some skunk 2 adjustable coilovers and skunk 2 shocks.

I want to install them myself because they want to charge me $150 to do it, id rather just save the money and do it myself. How difficult is it to do this? My car is a 96 civic DX hatchback.

What now?
Old 10-16-2009, 05:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Quide to installing coilovers/shocks?

Congrats on your purchase.

Never done it myself, but it is doable. If you have any mechanical knowledge, I would think it should take a a few hours to do all four.

A quick google seach pulled this up. http://www.clubcivic.com/board/showthread.php?t=130371

Bump for someone with more excperience who has done this.
Old 10-16-2009, 05:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ahhh dude youre so fcked. They didnt give you top hats (cheap bastards). I wish I wouldve seen that DIY before I typed one up for another member on here hahah..

Youre going to have to compress your spring and remove the 14mm top bolt with a wrench, while holding the shaft down with an allen head tool. Then install the top hats onto the Skunk2 coil over set up.

If you have power tools, you can probably get this done in about an hour an half. After some practice, youll get it done in about 30 minutes. 1988-2000 Civic suspension FTW.
Old 10-16-2009, 07:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Hey Original poster
What all did you buy and for how much?
Pictures please.
Old 10-16-2009, 07:58 PM
Cool Cool Island Breezes. BOY-EE

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You don't have to compress the springs.

I usually just put the shock/spring assembly on the ground, point the assembly away from my face/genitals and undo the top bolt.

There's also another safer way. Allow me:

- Put the car in the air and put it on 4 jack stands. Or on a lift, Mr. Fancy pants.

**The way to remove the top central top hat nuts is to hold the shaft with a 5mm allen wrench and use a 14mm box wrench to undo the nut.**

Fronts:
-Remove the shock fork completely.
-Place a jack with a large pad kinda in the tie rod region. Try to have it close to the shock or resting on the shock.
-Working from under the hood (top side), start loosening the central 14mm nut on top of the shock.
-Move your feet.
-Get ready for a loud noise.
-When you hear a POP followed by some metal rattling, the shock is free.
-Remove the top hats from the shock tower. Retrieve all shock washers that may have fallen on the ground.

Rear:
-Remove 2 chassis bolts for the LCA. Loosen, but do not remove the shock to LCA bolt.
-Place a jack under the LCA. Put some pressure on the LCA via the jack.
-Start loosening the top 14mm central nut.
-Move your feet just in case.
-The jack will absorb the energy of the spring releasing. So no loud noise.
-Let the jack down slowly.

You have to remember that if you live anywhere where they salt the roads, your rear LCA bolts probably won't come out. The rear central shock nuts for the top hats won't come out without a fight or at all either.

You may need new LCAs/bushings and you may need new bolts/nuts. It sucks.

I usually put some anti sieze on the bolts EVERYWHERE. Not just on the threads, but the entire shaft so the bushing can't freeze onto it either.

Remember to clock the bushings. This is very important. Bushings are a bitch to do. So don't leave them unclocked and tear them.
Old 10-16-2009, 08:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

First time I did my suspension it took me about 6 hrs.. my buddy was a beginner mechanic so i figured he could help. He had me step down on the rotor so we could slide the old suspension out and on one we had trouble. I told him we should remove this one bold cuz it looked like the whole thing would just drop but he kept saying no..well, he goes inside and I'm like F this and I took that bolt out and what did ya know. Also we were trying to take off that one bolt that's welded on to the strut..haha. we felt so dumb. I just hope when I put my coil overs on it doesn't take that long haha
Old 10-16-2009, 08:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by B serious
You don't have to compress the springs.

I usually just put the shock/spring assembly on the ground, point the assembly away from my face/genitals and undo the top bolt.

There's also another safer way. Allow me:

- Put the car in the air and put it on 4 jack stands. Or on a lift, Mr. Fancy pants.

**The way to remove the top central top hat nuts is to hold the shaft with a 5mm allen wrench and use a 14mm box wrench to undo the nut.**

Fronts:
-Remove the shock fork completely.
-Place a jack with a large pad kinda in the tie rod region. Try to have it close to the shock or resting on the shock.
-Working from under the hood (top side), start loosening the central 14mm nut on top of the shock.
-Move your feet.
-Get ready for a loud noise.
-When you hear a POP followed by some metal rattling, the shock is free.
-Remove the top hats from the shock tower. Retrieve all shock washers that may have fallen on the ground.

Rear:
-Remove 2 chassis bolts for the LCA. Loosen, but do not remove the shock to LCA bolt.
-Place a jack under the LCA. Put some pressure on the LCA via the jack.
-Start loosening the top 14mm central nut.
-Move your feet just in case.
-The jack will absorb the energy of the spring releasing. So no loud noise.
-Let the jack down slowly.

You have to remember that if you live anywhere where they salt the roads, your rear LCA bolts probably won't come out. The rear central shock nuts for the top hats won't come out without a fight or at all either.

You may need new LCAs/bushings and you may need new bolts/nuts. It sucks.

I usually put some anti sieze on the bolts EVERYWHERE. Not just on the threads, but the entire shaft so the bushing can't freeze onto it either.

Remember to clock the bushings. This is very important. Bushings are a bitch to do. So don't leave them unclocked and tear them.
Please dont listen to this guy. He sounds like the type that holds his bumper up with zip ties, puts OEM lug nuts on aftermarket wheels, and ties wires together instead of soldering.

Spring compressors are really cheap and easy to use. If youre going to do something once, do it right.
Old 10-18-2009, 01:21 PM

^lol. Wow...I don't even know where to start.

I have held a bumper on partially by zip ties. It was on a 240 back before and during the time when drifting was SOOOOO cool. Guess why.

I've actually written posts telling people not to use ball seat lugnuts on aftermarket wheels or vice versa.

I've built wiring harnesses. Including one complete harness for a OBD0 ef. I converted the car to OBD1 via the harness instead of buying a jumper because I didn't want to do a DPFI to MPFI conversion and then have to pay for the ECU harness anyway. I did this back in like 03. I'm sure the car still runs flawlessly today.

Last edited by B serious; 10-18-2009 at 03:04 PM.
Old 10-18-2009, 01:26 PM
Master Detailer

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

i agree with b serious, i have done it both ways,i have also used compressers.

dont listnen to people when they say the spring will come flying out, it wont.

anti sieze is a must.
Old 10-18-2009, 02:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

b serious has it down

i've done this about 6 times now on different cars and its not that difficult, i've actually managed to do this kind of thing in about 30-45 minutes for all 4 being careful and whatnot

the only thing thats gonna suck are the damper forks in the front cuz it has a habit of holding onto the shock and not letting go
Old 10-18-2009, 02:59 PM

^ you just tap it with a hammer. It usually vibrates itself loose. You can also just keep tapping it with a hammer till it comes off. I'm surprised you have that issue in TX. I've never had that issue even with cars that were in IL for 100% of their life.