Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Quick question - VTEC wiring

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2012, 02:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Quick question - VTEC wiring

So I've been getting a constant CEL 22 on my y8 swap. I checked the basics, enough oil and all the pins in the ECU are correctly in place...

Now, I decided possibly its a wiring issue. So I'm outside checking out the wiring and something doesnt seem right. There's two wires coming out of the VTEC pressure switch ( a blue one and a black one ) the blue wire runs directly to the ECU and the black wire should be grounded. Well, it is BUT there is another black wire crimped to the VTEC pressure switch ground. As if another source could be getting ground from it? This wire runs into the engine harness and leads to the DRIVER side, not the passenger.

Anyone have any clue what this wire could be and if its possible to be causing the CEL?
before I start cutting the black stuff to find this sucker.

thanks in advance.
Old 03-27-2012, 03:51 PM
Technical Hero

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Re: Quick question - VTEC wiring

Take a pic if you can
Old 03-27-2012, 05:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Could someone have tried to add a VTEC light? Or maybe a VTEC controller?

I grounded that wire to the chassis and the blue wire went to the ECU. I had no issues and VTEC worked fine.
Old 03-27-2012, 05:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by HondaPartsHero
Take a pic if you can
I already cut it, basically its a black wire coming from the harness by the driver side, it rides along the inside of the harness itself. That black wire and the ground wire from the VTEC pressure switch were both twisted together and then crimped onto a female connector. Where it then met a male connector directly to ground.

Originally Posted by Arthas
Could someone have tried to add a VTEC light? Or maybe a VTEC controller?

I grounded that wire to the chassis and the blue wire went to the ECU. I had no issues and VTEC worked fine.
It's possible, I've decided to just follow the black wire tomorrow and see where I end up. I actually ran into a bigger issue. I'll post pics right now, hopefully you guys can help me out.
Old 03-27-2012, 06:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Found a even more serious issue. Apparently, my car doesnt have the VTEC pressure switch wired into the ECU.

Here are some specs on the car before we go any further.
93 eg, with a y8 swap. USED TO BE AUTOMATIC. The reason I mention this is because it's possible the previous owner/whoever did the swap probably used the OEM harness the car came with, if I'm not mistaken that's possible right? maybe just have to tweek some **** here and there?

Anyways here are some pics I just took..
The ECU was supposeably a stock 5 speed p28, figured I'd open it up and check it out.
Now, my concern is if he kept the stock auto harness, would the wires and clips that connect into the ECU differ?

Check out pin A4, it has the VTEC solenoid connected but the dude that did it, just cut the orange wire and used that for the solenoid. BUT, if you check out D6, theres a cut wire there but no wire leading out to the engine clips. So all this time I had no vtec!?!?!? lol. frikin amazing.

If anyone can tell me wtf is going on with my harness/ecu/ or whatever, I'd gladly appreciate it.
If someone can tell me what kind of harness this is by looking at the clips/wire colors that would be awesome, better yet, I can check anything for you if you have questions. Thanks guys...check out the pics.