Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Quick question need help ASAP.

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2008, 09:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Quick question need help ASAP.

Picked up a mini me swap from a guy. bottom end has 50k on it, the head is fresh out of the shop.
Upon further inspection, its a y7 block (already knew that) but it has a jdm d15b p08 92 head on it...
now the car its going in is a obd2a ek. Im not wiring vtec, and im running the stock ECU cause its automatic and its staying that way.
Now the motor was in a 94 coupe. The manifold is all obd1. Will this manifold work with the obd2a wiring harness? im reusing the y7 distributor, and the bottom end sensors are staying the same.
I just need to know about the intake manifold, am i better off finding a y8 one if at all possible?
really need answers cause i need this car done asap.

p.s the guy had the head on a y8 block and said it ran fine, i just want to make sure the oil passages are all the same as well.
Old 12-26-2008, 09:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Quick question need help ASAP.

would the y8 manifold mount up to the d15b head? sorry for being a pain i need to know before i work on the motor tomorrow.
Old 12-27-2008, 07:18 AM
Seagull Management

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Nightmare swap. The only way it will even remotely run right is with an automatic Y8 intake manifold and throttle body. Y7 distributor wont bolt up to a p08 head either btw, you need to swap the guts from the Y7 distributor into an OBD1 D-series Vtec case. And, from what i've been told due to timing differences between the Y8 and the D15B Vtec the timing will be off using the P2P EX ECU. Due to the way the '96+ civic automatic trannys are controlled you can't just use a chipped automatic P28 either. My advice would be either get a Y8 head and automatic Y8 IM and throttlebody, or get a complete Y8.
Old 12-27-2008, 03:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

wait i need a p2p ecu to run the motor? why? im not running vtec and its not a y8 head. why wouldnt the manual y8 manifold work? the timing marks all lined up on the block and head. your sure the y7 dizzy doesnt bolt up?
Old 12-27-2008, 03:15 PM
Seagull Management

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by EJ1_Sleeper
wait i need a p2p ecu to run the motor? why? im not running vtec and its not a y8 head.
I missed the part where you weren't planning to hook up the vtec, although in that case its kind of pointless to swap in a mini me, you might as well just use another Y7, or Y7 head.

why wouldnt the manual y8 manifold work?
The manual Y8s, and all OBD1 D-series/all b-series engines use a 2 wire IACV on the back of the IM, automatic Y8s and all Y7s use a 3 wire IACV on the throttle body.

the timing marks all lined up on the block and head.
I keep hearing that ECU timing maps are different between the D16Y8 and the D16Z6, and the D15B vtec are different, I haven't had any personal expirence with this swap, but i've heard enough people that have mention it that makes me think there might actually be something to it, the timing marks on the engine do I believe line up though.

your sure the y7 dizzy doesnt bolt up?
Yes. There is no OEM distributor for this application, but swapping the guts between honda distributors isn't hard.
Old 12-28-2008, 11:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

ok. i swapped on the y7 intake manifold and repined the obd1 dizzy with the obd2a plug and she fired up. Now ive got a exhaust leak on cyl 1, but ive checked the timing and its been good through and through. I found out that the HG was resued (@$(#!*R%) so its leaking and needs to be changed...

my problem now is im getting code 54 which is the CFK sensor. The plug was ripped from the wiring and i need the correct way to wire it from the engine harness if anyone has that.

I have no other codes, its not over heating, the exhaust is pushing out really strong so im assuming bad HG, but it sputtered, stayed running, i got scared and shut it off and now it wont start again. Again the timing is right and ive got fuel, spark.

Ive been told i could switch the cam and cam gear with the Y8 head and it would work and the timining would be fine.

at this point tho i think if im pulling the head for a Hg im just gona reuse her old y7 head, before i go that route, i want to know if theres anything i can do to try and have it run with the d15b head.