Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

A quick question on heads

Old 01-01-2007, 04:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A quick question on heads

my friend has a 1995 civic head for sale. i was going to buy it but wasent sure if it would fit on my car, 98 civic ex. he tells me about OBD i dont know what OBD is. he mentioned something about swaping it? Was just wondering i fit would fit. my intention was to get it ported/polished any help would be greatly appreciated. he said it was a nonvetc 1.6L. i have a d16y8, if im not mistaken mine is an economy vtec.
Old 01-01-2007, 05:03 PM

i think the y8 is a SOHC vtec head. the one he has isnt. i dont think it would work and not sure it would really be a good idea. also, i cant remember what OBD stands for at the moment but it has to do with knock sensors, oxygen sensors and generally how your ECU manages your vehicle. I am pretty sure you cant mix OBD1 (what his head is) with your OBD2 ECU and engine harness. Someone will correct me if I am wrong but I think this is true. Hope this helps.
Old 01-01-2007, 05:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: A quick question on heads (iwanttogofast)

Why you wanna trade for an older head? Yours is vtec not vtec-e.
Old 01-01-2007, 05:41 PM

Default Re: A quick question on heads (iwanttogofast)

you have a y8 that produces about 127 horsepower stock, it would be better to keep your head. the non-vtec head even with a good port job would most likely not create as much power as the stock y8. and then you have the cost of buying an OBD1 ecu and OBD2a to OBD1 conversion harness. (OBD = On Board Diagnostics)
Old 01-01-2007, 05:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: (B20eg4dr)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by B20eg4dr &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i think the y8 is a SOHC vtec head. the one he has isnt. i dont think it would work and not sure it would really be a good idea. also, i cant remember what OBD stands for at the moment but it has to do with knock sensors, oxygen sensors and generally how your ECU manages your vehicle. I am pretty sure you cant mix OBD1 (what his head is) with your OBD2 ECU and engine harness. Someone will correct me if I am wrong but I think this is true. Hope this helps.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Is this guy for real??

Dude, why post a bunch of "you aren't sure information".

#1. Y8 is single cam
#2. OBD is On Board Diagnostics
#3. You can use a Z6 head on an OBD2 car, just have to use a Z6 dizzy and converter plug for OBD2 harness.
This applies to pretty much any OBD1 head. The dizzy's don't bolt up, so that's the reasoning behind the converter harness and using the dizzy that matches the head.

O.P....like dude said above though, running a non-vtec head isn't ideal. IF though, IF that dude is offering a Z6 head take it. The Z6 stock ports flow almost as much as a ported Y8 head. The Y8's intake ports were designed with emissions in mind, not overall flow. The Y8 cam though is more aggressive.

Ideally, if you could run the ported Z6 head with matched dizzy, Y8 intake mani, Y8 cam you'd be good to go, and run OBD2.
Old 01-01-2007, 06:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: (RC000E)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by RC000E &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Is this guy for real??

Dude, why post a bunch of "you aren't sure information".

#1. Y8 is single cam
#2. OBD is On Board Diagnostics
#3. You can use a Z6 head on an OBD2 car, just have to use a Z6 dizzy and converter plug for OBD2 harness.
This applies to pretty much any OBD1 head. The dizzy's don't bolt up, so that's the reasoning behind the converter harness and using the dizzy that matches the head.

O.P....like dude said above though, running a non-vtec head isn't ideal. IF though, IF that dude is offering a Z6 head take it. The Z6 stock ports flow almost as much as a ported Y8 head. The Y8's intake ports were designed with emissions in mind, not overall flow. The Y8 cam though is more aggressive.

Ideally, if you could run the ported Z6 head with matched dizzy, Y8 intake mani, Y8 cam you'd be good to go, and run OBD2.</TD></TR></TABLE>

UMM, ALL HONDA SOHC DIZZIES HAVE THE SAME MOUNTING PATTERN EXCEPT 92-95 VTEC MOTORS. D16Z6, D15Z1, SOHC ZC VTEC, AND D15B VTEC.

actually nobody has mentioned the fact that the OP says its a sohc non vtec 1.6liter, which isnt possible if its a 95 head. so i cant even begin to help not knowing what he is thinking about getting.

OP: learn all about what you have now, then begin to research what will be an improvement, 90% of the time going with something older isnt, because honda technology NORMALLY gets better (only situation i can think of that it hasnt is the Y oil pumps.)