Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Quick question for everyone about a new idea for a braking setup

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2009, 10:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Quick question for everyone about a new idea for a braking setup

So, I've done the whole wyotech thing, and it was quite good. Graduated for about a year and a half, do plenty of side/fab work good **** like that and so on.

But to the point, teacher i went to school with took 996 gt3 brakes on a 95 impala, 5 on 4.5 bolt circle, just about the same as on a 5 on 114.3 itr/ctr circle, I know it would take much larger than a 1" master to actually pump a set of 6 pot pccb on the front and a set of 6 pots on the rear, maybe I'm just talking out of my *** and way over thinking this thing, eh whatever.

They were Porsche ceramic brakes off the gt3, i know the hats and rotors are two piece because the pads and rotors wear out, and the gt3 rotor is 380mm with a thickness of 32 mm so it would be an 18" wheel to fit them, but you could take the hats for a brembo rotor from a corvette or order up a set of hats for the pccb rotors and mate those together to give you the 5 on 4.5 circle, and then have someone professionally engineer a caliper mount to use the calipers and I guess it could work, possibly with a master cylinder from willwood on a reverse hung system, but realistically it probably wouldn't work but who knows? I've thought about this a few times, but realistically it doesn't seem at all practical but **** practical. But there are too many clearance issues on using an 18" wheel and then actually having the caliper and assembly clear the uni body when turning, the strut assembly and upper control arm and steering assembly not interfering with the rotor being 380mm in diameter and 32mm across. Having all this actually clear the knuckle and being feasible to actually use and have on a working driving vehicle, probably not, but cool thought and I felt like sharing.

(I know I just answered my own question So don't remind me)

Just a thought, any ideas or input?
Old 01-07-2009, 04:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Quick question for everyone about a new idea for a braking setup

stupid... get spoon calipers or brembos if you really need the braking power.. chances are yours and most others cars will never need anything bigger than an integra brake setup with some good pads...
Old 01-07-2009, 05:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Hey, thanks for telling me what i already knew. I was talking about putting full ceramic brakes on a honda, not having to use cast iron calipers, and rotors. And how is it stupid to think about this? Older Porsche stuff could possibly work, that is smaller.
Old 01-07-2009, 08:53 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MIsterE533
Hey, thanks for telling me what i already knew. I was talking about putting full ceramic brakes on a honda, not having to use cast iron calipers, and rotors. And how is it stupid to think about this? Older Porsche stuff could possibly work, that is smaller.

Not stupid to think about it, just not very cost effective. I just put on EG6 front & rear brakes on my EH2, complete with the 4040 prop valve and HAWK Street+ pads. I rebuilt the calipers and put in a remanufactured 15/16ths master cylinder off a '91 Civic EX. It stops on a dime, the brakes feel VERY solid and I haven't noticed any fade for street driving. I know that doesn't mean much, because even when auto-x season starts again I know my brake setup will still be more than what I need.

The only real benefit of a ceramic brake setup for a Honda is lower weight. Even so, our cars aren't nearly heavy enough to need anything special with braking. But, hey, if you have the money, time, and skills to install a full porsche brake setup, then by all means, do it. Take some pics of the install, and share.

Personally, I think you could spend your time and money elsewhere with more usable results though.
Old 01-07-2009, 08:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

^^ my thoughts exactly.
Old 01-07-2009, 09:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 71 Likes on 52 Posts

I worked at a junkyard that had mostly euro cars, the older 944 calipers would prob. fit but it would take making custom brackets and finding rotors to work with it... just not worth it.. even if you were on a budget it would be either cost prohibitive or impossible to get brackets made.

Also they would have to be very well made as the calipers are not floating style so they must be perfectly straight and dead center on the rotor.

Also, they're just brembo calipers that you could just get a kit, but like mentioned above a type-r/prelude caliper swap is more than enough. I have rear disk and front prelude brakes and it stops like a bastard. I can faceplant people on the windshield no problem.

I had access to free 944 calipers, and a friend who could have CNC'd the brackets for next to nothing and wouldn't have bothered to do it.

The ceramics would just be rediculous overkill... they take a while to heat up and don't perform as well for daily/normal driving from what I understand.
Old 01-07-2009, 09:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Do the Porches use lug studs instead of nuts just like the Volkwagens do? If so, wouldn't that cause a lot of problems with fitment?
Old 01-07-2009, 06:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

no, Porsche is stud, they are 5x130 bolt pattern, different hubs on the ceramic rotors are what is necessary, and i know its retarded over kill, but i just think it would be ****ing sweet to have them on a honda. I know ceramic brakes dont work till about 800deg Fahrenheit, is op temp for a ceramic rotor and pad, and basically they suck till they hit about 400 deg Fahrenheit, but after that they're amazing, but who really cares, its another crazy idea, and if and when i go through with it i'll def put pictures up, and I'll be going with a much larger dual piston master cylinder probably from wilwood. Do some crazy reverse hung race car pedal setup. It's all for ****'s and giggles, just to see what works and doesnt. I'll let you all know what happens.
Old 01-07-2009, 06:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

By stud, you mean they use standard lug nuts like most stuff does or do they use lug studs like Volkswagen? You weren't really clear there. Also, this project is extreme overkill, not to mention I would not be doing this on a car that gets driven on the street a lot for fear of breaking a custom made piece in an accident.
Old 01-07-2009, 06:46 PM

Originally Posted by 90Rexx
stupid... get spoon calipers or brembos if you really need the braking power.. chances are yours and most others cars will never need anything bigger than an integra brake setup with some good pads...
cosign this guy, its not a bad idea, but for the money and time spent on the porsche brakes, i'd just go spoon. just my opinion
Old 01-07-2009, 08:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I'm going to just ignore people that restate its not cost effective. I know its not cost effective, otherwise I'd be posting pictures of it by now and selling a kit, if it was even remotely cost effective. It's not something that's easily done, or ever done, that's the entire reason I brought it up.

It's ****ing retarded overkill, but it would be awesome to have it work.

And the gt3's are a stud and lug style, not the Volkswagen floating rotor hub held on with some piece of surgical tubing crap. The way they designed the Volkswagen floating rotor hub assembly with the lug stud stuff is garbage. I don't know why Mercedes uses it. Beyond me, its not near as cost effective as using the stud and lug nut like everyone else. But whatever, not really the point.

The entire point of this whole thing is to be different and do something different, **** buying the part, I'd rather make it out of something else that is bigger and crazier off another car, because they do not make the parts like this for Honda's. So why the **** not? Instead of reminding me I should buy something pre fab'ed throw me some input on it.

Things that come in boxes from the factory are cool, but things that are from full fledged street race cars, are cooler, because they weren't meant to fit in the first place, were designed to be raced, and have the **** beat out of them way past what stock honda parts were meant for is what's cool about this. Who cares about everything else. Actually give some input. Instead of telling me to buy something that was made for the car, and costs a ton of money as well.

Wrecking cars is part of racing, thats why when you get something custom made, keep the engineering specs so when you do **** it up you can have it remade.
Old 01-07-2009, 08:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I agree, the lug stud is a terrible idea. I was simply asking if your setup was going to use that setup or not. If so, I figure it'd be a horrible problem to figure it into your design.

I agree custom is cool since nobody else will have it, but like I said, the problem is if you make this custom setup and wreck the car with the parts on it, you're SOL until you make a new part for it. This is the reason that I don't want to buy the aftermarket big brake kits because if you destroy a caliper, pad, or rotor replacement parts will rape you... HARD. If you want something unique just do a 5 lug conversion. Not many people have it so it's still unique, but unfortunately the 5 lug conversion is just as overkill and pointless as the setup you're building.
Old 01-07-2009, 09:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

actually the big brake kits are garbage. They just make the rotor bigger, and do not increase the actual braking surface, they improve cooling, but dont aide in braking force. And the 5 lug conversion is an awesome conversion, it gives you a larger surface area for the rotor hat and the wheel to hub contact gives you better road feel decreases flex in the hub assembly and gives you a larger bolt circle which mounts the wheel more securely.

And who cares about breaking ****, its part of the game with expensive parts. I've given up on not breaking parts, if your not breaking parts your not driving hard enough, if you catch my drift.
Old 01-07-2009, 09:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

For those of us who daily drive our cars 50 or more miles a day, practicality is key. When it comes time to replace pads and rotors most of us don't want to be up **** creek without a paddle. Having to order parts or custom make them just to daily drive the car is a chore. I can see building a custom setup if the car is a track car, but on a daily driver no thanks.