Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Quick Question

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2007, 10:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Quick Question

Okay, so my friends car... Let's just say it's a honda. Automatic... He told me that it was sputtering, I told him that it sounds like he's running a cylinder down and he needed spark plugs. The shop thought so too, they replaced that and said it wasn't the problem. So they also replaced the "Electronic Ignition Wire" whatever that is. I told him maybe the ignition coil, and he shot back at me with that. Anyways, the shop thought it was fixed, 360 dollars later, my friend got his car back. He floored it a few times, and was satisfied. Now... we were at work today and he floored it again, only to have it "sputter" again. This is ONLY when he floors it. To me it sounds like it's bogging out. I don't know anything about automatic transmissions (hell, i dont know much about manual either) but could his tranny be the issue? Any help would be appreciated.
Old 10-16-2007, 10:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Quick Question (hgemsi)

what makes you think an engine problem has anything to do with the transmission? id say find a better shop to take it to. hes gettin ripped.
Old 10-16-2007, 11:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Quick Question (DCSportEJ1Civic)

Because it seems like the car is in the wrong gear???

Old 10-16-2007, 11:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

well then why are they replacing engine parts? its either an engine problem or a transmission problem.
Old 10-16-2007, 11:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I'm the one asking that question here.... lol.
Old 10-16-2007, 11:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

sorry im just confused as to what your asking. is the engine loosing power? or is the transmission not down shifting when you floor it. because you said it feels like its down a cylinder, and said that it feels like its in the wrong gear. lol maybe i just need to go to bed. idk lol.
Old 10-16-2007, 11:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

After reading your brief description I've come to the blatantly obvious conclusion that neither you nor your friend should be allowed to make suggestions as per the possible problems on a car.

Take it to a real shop - and for god's sakes - grow enough ***** to change your own spark plug wires.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by hgemsi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">kay, so my friends car... Let's just say it's a honda. Automatic... He told me that it was sputtering,</TD></TR></TABLE>

Correction: It's your car, stop being a ***** about it. Grow some *****.

In the unlikely event that it's not your car and I'm completely wrong:
3 important things to tell your friend:
A) Stop taking it to this retarded ******* shop
B) Learn to describe problems better
C) Stop asking you for ******* help

Old 10-16-2007, 11:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Quick Question (Syndacate)

Your a f***ing ***** dude. It's not my damn car, and why would I go out of my way to change his spark plug wires. I'm not a f***ing car genius I already ******* stated that. That's why I posted the damned question.

Who the hell are you calling a ***** man? On what grounds? Who the hell are you?

If it was my car then I would have said so, look at my others posts I have asked questions before and I will many more times. Stop asking me for help? He never asked me for help, I'm just trying to figure it out with him. That's by far the worst reply I have ever read in my life. And learn to describe a problem? You're joking right? I dont know much more man I dont know what you want me to tell you. Hold on, I'll go get the engine temp at idle and how dirty his passenger seat was precisely when it happened.

Grow up dude... Sometimes I can understand the flame on this website, but that was rediculous. I know there's some ******** on here, or just people who are blunt and don't like to take ****. For example, eran, says what's on his mind.. .whatever. But you just went out of your way to be a dick.
Old 10-17-2007, 12:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by hgemsi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Your a f***ing ***** dude. It's not my damn car, and why would I go out of my way to change his spark plug wires. I'm not a f***ing car genius I already ******* stated that. That's why I posted the damned question.

Who the hell are you calling a ***** man? On what grounds? Who the hell are you?

If it was my car then I would have said so, look at my others posts I have asked questions before and I will many more times. Stop asking me for help? He never asked me for help, I'm just trying to figure it out with him. That's by far the worst reply I have ever read in my life. And learn to describe a problem? You're joking right? I dont know much more man I dont know what you want me to tell you. Hold on, I'll go get the engine temp at idle and how dirty his passenger seat was precisely when it happened.

Grow up dude... Sometimes I can understand the flame on this website, but that was rediculous. I know there's some ******** on here, or just people who are blunt and don't like to take ****. For example, eran, says what's on his mind.. .whatever. But you just went out of your way to be a dick.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I'm sorry but your post(s) are worthless as expletive.

Out of that whole garbled and ****-like thrown together paragraph you made 2 main statements.

A) That his car is bogging
B) That he was dumb enough to take it to a garage and pay 360 dollars for them to change out the ignition coil and spark plug wires.

That is not going to help you help your friend.

I'm assuming he changed the rotor and cap before he attacked the ignition coil?

360 dollars couldn't have gone to just replacing the ignition coil, get a list of everything that was replaced.

PS:
Eran's a good guy, I'm an antagonistic *******, but people like me are needed for the balance of a society and so that people actually speak what's on their mind, so suck it up.
Old 10-17-2007, 12:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

No thats really all that happened... He called his mechanic as soon as it happened again. Keep in mind he was also charged 60 dollars just for the f***ing diagnostic.
Old 10-17-2007, 12:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by hgemsi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">No thats really all that happened... He called his mechanic as soon as it happened again. Keep in mind he was also charged 60 dollars just for the f***ing diagnostic.</TD></TR></TABLE>

He got charged 300 dollars in labor to change an ignition coil?

Might wanna remind him that he's getting ***-raped by this "garage."

I'd start with the basics, first, by "electronic ignition wire" I'm going to assume they're talking about the spark plug wires - so they're changed, pop new plugs in there and a dizzy cap and rotor.

If one of the cap nodes is rounded it won't be making a good connection and you'll be firing on 3 and a half cylinders.

Replace:
- Distributor Rotor
- Distributor Cap
- Spark Plugs

- Ignition coil was already taken care of as were the spark plug wires - so that's the rest of the basic ignition system, and that's only like 40 dollars in parts.

And you only need a screwdriver (maybe a nut-driver too) and a (5/8?) spark plug socket to do all that and since that shop charges by the degree of **** raping they're doing - stay clear of them.
Old 10-17-2007, 12:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks for the suggestion. The reason I ask is because I am aware that the shop he goes to ***** him over, but he insists that this guy "hooks him up". The guy installed his BOLT ON greddy exhaust for 100 dollars. So by asking here, I can tell him to tell his mechanic what to do. That way he knows whats going on.

This kid is stubborn as hell, and wouldn't let me work on his car if I had a sure solution.