Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

quick dumb q Auto tranny...please help

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2008, 09:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default quick dumb q Auto tranny...please help

Well im sorry but I have a dumb *** q. When it comes to auto trannies I know it doesn't come with clutch but it comes with some other round ****. Does anyone here know the name of that part. Im trying to find a replacement. And does anyone know if there is a way to test them to see if its faulty. My dads car took a **** on him,he states that the gears spin alright. Just that the car would not go in gear anymore and he thinks that one part is the cause of it. Thanx in advance.
Old 03-05-2008, 09:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: quick dumb q Auto tranny...please help (mortificationrock)

Torque Converter
Old 03-05-2008, 09:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: quick dumb q Auto tranny...please help (bpr0422)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by bpr0422 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Torque Converter</TD></TR></TABLE>

Cool thanx. By the way what is your opinion, do you think my dad is right and that's what got [freak]3d? I mean he stated that first it would make like slammin sounds when you would change from P to D and so on... anyone got some suggestions? I would really appreciate it.
Old 03-05-2008, 09:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mortificationrock &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Cool thanx. By the way what is your opinion, do you think my dad is right and that's what got [freak]3d? I mean he stated that first it would make like slammin sounds when you would change from P to D and so on... anyone got some suggestions? I would really appreciate it. </TD></TR></TABLE>

sounds like a bad trans and not the converter. if it "slams" its either mounts or the trans, although i've seen a fluid flush fix this problem. You have to run honda atf or a atf with appropriate additives honda's are very particular with atf fluids. If it slips its the trans. for sure and in that case you need to replace the torque converter anyways.

I may have oversated my opinion however what model civic is it exactly? and is it the stock engine? Can you be more descriptive with the problem?
Old 03-05-2008, 09:33 PM

If the car doesn't go into gear...

the internal clutches could be worn..

meaning a full rebuild might be required..

BUT!!!!

There are lots of additives out there, that you can use and put into it.. to sorta "bandage" the problem...

If the car is worth less than the repair.. new car

When was the last time the trannyfluid was changed?

If its black.. its way over due... it should normally stay around like an orange-reddish color

I don't know much about this.. all i know is what i just said.. so have fun searching

Old 03-05-2008, 09:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by bpr0422 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">If the car is worth less than the repair.. new car

</TD></TR></TABLE>

it's never worthless a auto trans can be had at a junkyard for $200-$400 dollars. They are "a dime a dozen"
Old 03-05-2008, 09:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: quick dumb q Auto tranny...please help (SirRevvs)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SirRevvs &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">sounds like a bad trans and not the converter. if it "slams" its either mounts or the trans, although i've seen a fluid flush fix this problem. You have to run honda atf or a atf with appropriate additives honda's are very particular with atf fluids. If it slips its the trans. for sure and in that case you need to replace the torque converter anyways.

I may have oversated my opinion however what model civic is it exactly? and is it the stock engine? Can you be more descriptive with the problem?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Well here is the ****! His car aint a honda but I tought I ask here since a lot of people are helpful and didn't know who else to ask. His car is a 96 camry, and he states that it goes into gears but the car doesn't accelerate. As in you press the accelerator and everything but no movement, so im stumped and so is he since he's never worked auto trannies just manual trannies. So any help is helpful at this point.
Old 03-05-2008, 09:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mortificationrock &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Well here is the ****! His car aint a honda but I tought I ask here since a lot of people are helpful and didn't know who else to ask. His car is a 96 camry, and he states that it goes into gears but the car doesn't accelerate. As in you press the accelerator and everything but no movement, so im stumped and so is he since he's never worked auto trannies just manual trannies. So any help is helpful at this point. </TD></TR></TABLE>

you're a f'ing ******* asking a non-honda q here!!!! J/K but still the same principal applies to most auto trannies and it sounds like worn out clutches in the trans. Have your dad get the fluid changed (because toyota's are also fluid sensitive) and if the problem still occurs i'd bet on the trans. But I don't "know" toyota's I'm a honda mechanic to the core baby.
Old 03-05-2008, 09:47 PM

96 Camry?!

thats like saying its a big civic that goes really slow.. XD

basically those things are a dime a dozen... junkyard a tranny.. if it works yay! if it doesn't i think junkyards have a policy on things like that...

You have any idea how many camrys there are out there???
Old 03-05-2008, 09:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by bpr0422 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">You have any idea how many camrys there are out there???</TD></TR></TABLE>

5................................................. ...billion!!!!
Old 03-05-2008, 09:53 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SirRevvs &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">5................................... .................billion!!!! </TD></TR></TABLE>

i think toyota knows... &gt;.&gt;

it doesn't matter.. its one of the top selling cars i the US...

is it better than an accord, hell no...

fit and finish isn't as good, 4-cyl power sucks, ride is too soft, looks weird... the new one has the worst panel gaps i've seen... etc... etc.. etc...
Old 03-05-2008, 09:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by bpr0422 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

i think toyota knows... &gt;.&gt;

it doesn't matter.. its one of the top selling cars i the US...

is it better than an accord, hell no...

fit and finish isn't as good, 4-cyl power sucks, ride is too soft, looks weird... the new one has the worst panel gaps i've seen... etc... etc.. etc...</TD></TR></TABLE>

That's why Honda pwns&gt;all (eeehmmm until 2003 then they suck ) plus accord ex's have vtak bishes!

But none the less one of the best selling cars ever but so was the taurus if that says anything.
Old 03-05-2008, 09:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Well im sorry for asking q's here for a diffirent car but the same principles apply so that's why I asked. When you say tranny took a ****...does that mean the torque coverter? What are the chances of it being the torque converter? He doesn't want to buy another one he rather rebuild it or change the so called TC to see if that's the problem. My dads **** about stuff like that he rather fix it then buy a used one and have that one take a **** on him later again.
Old 03-05-2008, 10:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

if you want my proffessional opinion... the trans needs to be replaced with a good tested unit and when you replace an auto trans you ALWAYS replace the torque converter and seal.
Old 03-05-2008, 10:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

that's what honda would reccomend anyways they've replaced a fair share of trannies because they started going cheap and they suck *****! Damn you Honda for sellin out. But thanks for i-vtec.
Old 03-06-2008, 05:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

TTT