Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Questions on my Civic (new)

Old 02-15-2007, 10:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Questions on my Civic (new)

Ok I am just getting into all of the stuff I can do to my Civic. I have a 00 DX hatch by the way. I am just starting alot of my interior mods.(I am working on finishing the fabric to put back on my seats,doing wiring, blah blah blah)

I want to start looking at mods I can do for performance though. So I was reading the "Which engines fit in my car" thread and noticed I could do something like a B18(?) engine in my car and get pretty good power. I dont think I am ready to start modifying the insides of the engine and what not but I would like to drop one in to get more then what I have.

Which engine do you guys think would be best to start out with? Should I look for the engines just in junk yards or is there some good places online to buy them? What are some average prices I might pay? And how much does it cost to install after I find the engine I want?

Also this is probably going to make it worse. But I have an automatic tranny. I actually hate it alot right now because I have driven a manual for so long before this. When buying an engine could I switch to a manual and how much is this going to run me you think?

Sorry if this is a shitload of noob questions. I am in the process of looking through the forums so yah I thought I would just get this out.

I live in Utah and can get to Vegas and Cali quite easily if that matters for a engine.....

Thanks, Seth! (oh and hello all First Post down!)
Old 02-15-2007, 10:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Questions on my Civic (Mombo)

Alright man. First of all, you will need to research a lot before you get more into it. But as far as engines go, its all about what your goals are. You can, believe it or not, make power out of your d16. The most efficient way is turbocharging it. If you build it, and turbo it, you can be looking well in the 200-250 range. which is a decent amount for a daily driver. Now if you want more, or plan to want more... I would suggest not wasting any money on the d16, and swap the engine. For engines, the b16 is a decent start, cheaper than a b18. If money isnt a factor, go for the b18. As far as looking for engines goes, you can look around the classifieds on honda-tech, and there are also online stores you can go to. http://www.hmotorsonline.com is very reputable. And once you get your engine, just get the manual tranny with the new engine, and you will need some other things like a clutch pedal, etc. There is a write-up or two floating around here for an auto to manual swap.

So, when it all comes down to it, just spend some more time reading up
Old 02-15-2007, 10:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

it all depends on how much money you have...
Old 02-15-2007, 10:52 PM

Default Re: Questions on my Civic (alacard)

I am reading as we speak I have 3 instances of the forums up reading different pages lol. This looks like it will be alot of fun to get into. Just getting into a page about putting disc breaks on my rear wheels....would be nice. I saw a rear disc conversion kit on passwordjdm.com for $200 is that good deal or even needed? Could I just go rape some car at the junkyard or would that be difficult?

I am thinking the b16 will be enough for me. Not sure if I am ready to turbo yet so maybe I will grab that. Get used to it then look at turbo'n it. Does using a turbo hurt the life of the car at all? I know if used wrong it does but not sure if its a no matter what kind of thing.

I doubt I have the know how or tools to do the swap anyone know an average cost of putting a b16 in with a manual tranny usually runs around? And is there a certain b16 I should be looking for? I read that some motors are better for turbo then others?

Thanks for the site I am checking it out now. (hmotorsonline one)

edit: What do you guys think of this one? http://hmotorsonline.com/shop/...30005

Looks like it has pretty good power and everything I need.... Would I need to get the $400 hydraulic tranny to cable kit? (I was under the impression that I shouldnt but ill ask anyways) As well would it be a good idea to grab the Hasport mount kit? And is it worth it to get the LSD tranny? Think I saw somewhere that it could be a bad upgrade to get....

says average mileage is 35k......thats pretty sweet I was expecting like 70k+
Old 02-15-2007, 11:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Rear disc is definately worth it, but I'm not sure about the prices. password is usually pretty expensive. You might be able to find the stuff you need on here for cheap. And if there are honda junkyards around your area, go for it.
If you turbo your car, and get it properly tuned, your engine will be fine. People blow engines with turbos because they dont get it tuned, and thus give turbos a bad rep. The b16 is a good start, but unless you plan on turboing it, you wont have much of a power gain from your d16. You can get a greddy turbo kit, add an intercooler and blow off valve, and could be well over what you would be with a stock b16. Also, the link you gave was the b16 that came in the 92-95 sirII, which are a lot older and usually have higher miles. Also if you plan to have the swap legal, the engine has to be the same year or newer than your car. (atleast in cali, not sure about other states). If that isn't a concern, go for it.

For the installation, if you really don't want to do it yourself, there are guys on honda-tech who will do it for some cash, also there are plenty of shops who will do it. Luserkid, I know, is one who does this kind of work in cali. Many people have gone to him and been happy. And yes, you will need the hasport mounts to be able to mount the engine in your car.
Old 02-15-2007, 11:34 PM

Default Re: Questions on my Civic (alacard)

Hmm I cant find any b16 that is over 2000. Only engine that says year 2000 on it is the b18c that is 5k.

Edit: Hmmm might be a better idea to just get a good turbo kit and a really good tune so I dont blow my car up. Then I will stay legal and have better power. Can you link me to what you think is a good turbo kit for my car? How much does a good tune usually cost? I am not even sure if I know of any shops that do them lol.

edit x2: Well I was looking around through google the site turbo-kits.com I think it was had like a Rev Hard greddy kit that had what looked like all of it in one big pack. Not sure if I could piece it together to get more bang for my buck though. Is there also internal pieces or just other parts in my car I should upgrade to make this work better? Or is alot of that overkill for a D16?

Modified by Mombo at 12:50 AM 2/16/2007

Modified by Mombo at 12:54 AM 2/16/2007
Old 02-16-2007, 01:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

go for the b18c1. the b18c1 with be better for a turbo as well. its also cheaper then the b18c5! you would be very very happy if you put the b18c1 in your car, trust me!
Old 02-16-2007, 01:53 PM

Default Re: Questions on my Civic (honda97hb)

But is there a 2000+ b18c1 I can buy? Because he said its not legal if the engine is older then the car. Is that only in Cali?
Old 02-16-2007, 02:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I think that may only be for cali. I would check your local restrictions. Hmmm there is a K20 on there for $4000. Get that.
Old 02-16-2007, 03:46 PM

Default Re: (Manga_Spawn)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Manga_Spawn &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I think that may only be for cali. I would check your local restrictions. Hmmm there is a K20 on there for $4000. Get that.</TD></TR></TABLE>

he said he is lookin for somethin simple to start out with and a K-series is a pain in the *** even when you know what your doin and you can find them for better prices than 4000 anyway. .and by the time your done with the whole swap the final cost is normally pretty high after you get everything else u need for it. .

Old 02-16-2007, 03:48 PM

Default Re: (BLUIZE256)

I got quoted at 2 different shops for an auto to manual conversion, alls i bring is my car and they supply everything and install for 1k. Thats for a d series engine, ex or si tranny.
Old 02-16-2007, 04:13 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Mombo &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Which engine do you guys think would be best to start out with? Should I look for the engines just in junk yards or is there some good places online to buy them? What are some average prices I might pay? And how much does it cost to install after I find the engine I want?

Also this is probably going to make it worse. But I have an automatic tranny. I actually hate it alot right now because I have driven a manual for so long before this. When buying an engine could I switch to a manual and how much is this going to run me you think?

Thanks, Seth! (oh and hello all First Post down!)</TD></TR></TABLE>

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1255332
that is a thread on how to convert to manual and all you need. .

as for the engine you should choose and not have someone choose for you, because there are many to choose from and every person you ask will have a different suggestion from little swaps such as the Mini-Me to more extensive swaps such as the K20
so i suggest you read up on every motor swap you can find your car and then decide based on facts and opinions of others and look into how much each swap costs and then determine which swaps are best for your budget and your skill level
Old 02-16-2007, 11:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

To answer your question about the turbo. If this is a learning process for you, I would definately go with a kit for your first time. Piecing together parts would be cheaper, but it will be very hard for you doing it for the first time. As far as kits go, the greddy 19t kit is a good start, then you can add an intercooler and blow off valve, and take it to a tuner. There is a tuner directory on h-t somewhere so you can see whats close to your area. You may have to drive a ways to get to a good one.

edit: heres the directory https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1347699
Old 02-17-2007, 12:52 AM

Default Re: (alacard)

Alright yal thanks for all the help I am looking around at the different kits I could grab. As well as all the info on the different engines.

From what I see if I want to get the most bang for my buck what I should do it. Grab a turbo system now to save money that will help me get good power out of my d16. If I get a kit that works with the d16 and the b16's then later when I decide to upgrade engines I can just move my turbo kit over onto the new engine.

That way I have the boost now! Looking at some of the kits I am not sure if it is much cheaper though lol Right now I am looking at the Turbokentics Kit on Turbo-Kits.com looks like it has everything I need to get going and its $3500. I wonder how much the install and tune on one of these is going to be. Need to call around tomorrow.

Thanks again for the help yal!