Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Questions about what you use to lube your poly bushings and spherical endlinks.

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2011, 02:21 PM
Master Detailer

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Questions about what you use to lube your poly bushings and spherical endlinks.

I have ES poly bushings, and they need to be lubed. However I am unable to find any stores that carry the formula 5 prelube.

Is there anything else you guys have used? I have something called magic lube that is teflon based just like the formula 5. Will this work?

Also, what have you used to lube your spherical endlinks? Mine are rattling like crazy and it is getting old fast...

I have lubed them in the past but it never lasts and they go right back to rattling a week or 2 later...

Someone said brake caliper grease, but I am not sure if that will work well.

I am really not trying to order anything, I would like to be able to go to the store and pick it up.

Already posted in suspension, but I am kind of in need of quick answers..

Thanks
Old 03-06-2011, 10:02 AM
Master Detailer

Default Re: Questions about what you use to lube your poly bushings and spherical endlinks.

41 veiws and noithing? Come on guys.
Old 03-06-2011, 10:05 AM
The Grumpiest

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Re: Questions about what you use to lube your poly bushings and spherical endlinks.

I found this just now.
http://www.energysuspensionparts.com...p?prod=9.11104
http://www.google.com/search?q=formu...0c973786b8478e
and on Ebay.
http://motors.shop.ebay.com/i.html?_...506.m270.l1313

Nevermind. YOu don't want to order it.
Old 03-06-2011, 10:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd apply just a bit of grease like you had stated.I will be doing this in the next month or So on My Gf's
DA let me know how it works,best of luck.
Old 03-06-2011, 10:10 AM
The Grumpiest

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I'd use what you have for right now. Is it the Aladdin magic Lube?
Old 03-06-2011, 10:11 AM
Resident Gearhead

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by 98civdx
41 veiws and noithing? Come on guys.
I saw this earlier, I just don't know if regular grease or anything else is ok to use.

I still have quite a bit of the 5 lube left, when that runs out I'll probably
use regular grease. But by that time the bushing will probably need replacing
anyway

Old 03-06-2011, 11:20 AM
Master Detailer

Originally Posted by grumblemarc

Thanks, I found it last night. I am just going to order it and not risk it.

I found a store that I could buy it from this morning, but they want a lot of money. I could buy new damn bushings and get the lube for free.

This is just for my sway bar bushings.

Originally Posted by redef90si
I'd apply just a bit of grease like you had stated.I will be doing this in the next month or So on My Gf's
DA let me know how it works,best of luck.
Thanks, I am just going to order the ES stuff and not risk it.

Originally Posted by grumblemarc
I'd use what you have for right now. Is it the Aladdin magic Lube?
Yep thats the stuff.

Originally Posted by mcvtec
I saw this earlier, I just don't know if regular grease or anything else is ok to use.

I still have quite a bit of the 5 lube left, when that runs out I'll probably
use regular grease. But by that time the bushing will probably need replacing
anyway

That where I am at as well
I am just to order the ES stuff, It isn't expensive or anything. I was just hoping someone had used something else and had a good experience.

I think I am just going to order a couple tubes of it tommorow. The main reason I didn't want to order is I hate waiting for things to come.

I also learned the endlinks aren't supposed to be lubed, opppps.

Thanks for the help!
Old 03-06-2011, 02:20 PM
Seagull Management

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Brake slide pin grease should work fine, it wont hurt rubber or plastic and it doesn't wash of easily. I wouldn't use regular white grease or anything though.
Old 03-06-2011, 02:33 PM
Resident Gearhead

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by 94EG8
Brake slide pin grease should work fine, it wont hurt rubber or plastic and it doesn't wash of easily. I wouldn't use regular white grease or anything though.
hhmmmmmm...didn't think of that.

Old 03-06-2011, 03:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For the poly bushing, any non petrolium based grease is good like dielectric grease
As for the end links, if they are rattling then they need to be replaced, once replaced if they are keeped greased, bearing grease is fine, they should last longer
Old 03-06-2011, 03:35 PM
Master Detailer

I'll look into that, thank you.

Originally Posted by i-VTEC_do_you
For the poly bushing, any non petrolium based grease is good like dielectric grease
As for the end links, if they are rattling then they need to be replaced, once replaced if they are keeped greased, bearing grease is fine, they should last longer
Yea, I was hoping I didn't need to buy new ones...

Right now, I am looking into to Aurora Heim joints.

I was told buy someone In the suspension thread to NOT grease the endlinks.
Old 03-06-2011, 05:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Installing zerc fittings or getting bushings that have zerc fittings would be a good idea.
The dielectric grease is silicone based like the formula 5.

Would a synthetic grease work? You can get synthetic grease for boats that would probably be meant to be more waterproof than other stuff and maybe keep it from washing out.
Old 03-06-2011, 07:17 PM
Master Detailer

No clue.
The lube on the bushings stayed for quite a while.

The endlinks, are what washed off as soon as it got wet.

That's why I was wondering the formula 5 would work for those as well. It does say it will prevent metal to metal contact. But it would also be a royal pain to get it in the spherical part.

Im still wondering why your not supposed to greese the endlinks. To me it seems like the constant metal to metal contact would tear them up.
Old 03-07-2011, 12:02 PM
Master Detailer

Has anyone ever used ES ball joint boots?

I am about to order the lube and saw the boots, and remember my lowers are torn...

Are they worth it? $5.99, and did you feel a difference or anything?

An ES rep said they can increase performance.....
Old 03-07-2011, 12:05 PM
Seagull Management

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Increased performance? From ball joint boots? Hell no! They keep dirt out and grease in, that's it. Chances are good if the boots are torn the ball joints are bad anyway. If you are going to replace just the boots buy whatever's cheapest.
Old 03-07-2011, 12:12 PM
Master Detailer

Increased performance? From ball joint boots? Hell no! They keep dirt out and grease in, that's it. Chances are good if the boots are torn the ball joints are bad anyway. If you are going to replace just the boots buy whatever's cheapest.

That is exactly what I was thinking. The boots were torn by me, when I was switching the LCA's.
They didn't want to come out, so I just beat them with a pickle fork untill they poped out.

I've got other knuckles, with almost brand new ball joints in them. I am think I am going to try and swap them. Just for now, I'll be going buying RCA's soon.
Old 03-08-2011, 11:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There should be virtually 0 play in the spherical bearings, and they are polished to an extreme degree to decrease friction. These bearings don't move very fast in comparison to say, a wheel bearing... so the same level of grease is not needed. As far as greasing them to keep the noise level down, I don't know who told you you shouldn't... did they give you a reason? It won't hurt anything so long as the grease doesn't attack the materials the ends of the links are made from. And like i_VTEC said, grease will certainly not hurt your chances of improving the service life of the links. You don't need a ton of grease and you need to be careful of your placement. I think they might be worried about the grease making it into your lock/jamb nut and loosening your link (that would be a dangerous condition). As long as you are keeping the grease in the proper spot and everything is torqued to spec you should be fine.