Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Questions about tranny: doing an ls/vtec swap soon

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2005, 03:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Questions about tranny: doing an ls/vtec swap soon

Ok so i'm planning on doing an ls/vtec swap. I have a 94 del sol si (obd1, d16z6). I dont know much about trannies, and am having a hard time searching for info, but here goes:
I know the ls tranny isnt geared too well for accelleration, so does a type r tranny bolt right up?
And i dont know if my tranny right now is hydraulic or cable, so which do i have and would i need to get a conversion kit for either tranny (because i may have to run with the ls tranny for a while).
Old 06-24-2005, 04:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Questions about tranny: doing an ls/vtec swap soon (Ragecloak)

wow.....no efense but you not knowing whether you have a hydro or cable clutch in your car makes me skeptical of your LS/V setup...but anyhow...you do have a hydro clutch in your 94 Del sol..and any B-series trans will bolt up to a B-series block
good luck on the LS/V project..i plan to build one this winter...
Old 06-24-2005, 04:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Questions about tranny: doing an ls/vtec swap soon (b16delteg)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by b16delteg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">wow.....no efense but you not knowing whether you have a hydro or cable clutch in your car makes me skeptical of your LS/V setup...but anyhow...you do have a hydro clutch in your 94 Del sol..and any B-series trans will bolt up to a B-series block
good luck on the LS/V project..i plan to build one this winter...</TD></TR></TABLE>
what's to be skeptical about? There's a TON of information about ls/vtec out there, but not that much on tranny types. But any how, so basically i wouldnt need anything special then, because both the ls and type r trannies are hydro right?
Old 06-24-2005, 05:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Oh, btw, i am planning on doing ls block with b16 head...but i heard ls has poor lubrication? Is this true, and is there a cost efficient way to remedy it?
Old 06-24-2005, 05:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Ragecloak)

read more.. LS VTEC's have been beaten to death here.

if you can't find info on "Frankenstein" swaps, try B20 VTEC's, they're basically the same hybrid engine with a 2.0 bottom end, instead of the 1.8 integra's.

now.. tranys? your 94 has a SOHC setup... any B series tranny wont' interchange. they stay in families. B's, D's, F's, K's... you get the point.

bascily anything after 92 went hydro.. NOTHING that i know of after 92 was cable.

they only B series tranny they made that was cable is either jap, or a 92 GSR.. (hella rare) either way, you need a hydro b series.

ITR huh? money must grow on tree's over there... LS's are ridiculously long, alot of people are going with JDM B16's, or USDM B16's (EM1's) or USDM GSR's.. ITR's are just bank.

read... do more searches. hybrid engines are things of the past now. we have all moved onto K swaps.
Old 06-24-2005, 07:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i know they've been beaten to death, but you cant search for "ls" with vtec, so you kinda have to wade through a million posts about vtec
i know the d and b wont exchange, i was just wondering about the hydro/cable deal and if i would have to change anything out.
Is the b20 block generally considered a better block to go with for supercharging? I've heard the LS has poor lubrication, but what about the b20? I know the b20 isnt supposed to rev high either
i've not really priced ITR trannies either...i know they're supposed to be a lot shorter than pretty much all the other b series right? I think all the others have the same FD except the ls eh?
i wish i could afford a k swap though, sheesh those things are big money
Old 06-24-2005, 08:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

you sound like you don't know what you want. Do some research. It sure helped me out on alot of things.
Old 06-25-2005, 01:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

that's what i am doing