questions about rhd conversion

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2007, 08:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Location: down the street,bythe river in the van, co, united states
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default questions about rhd conversion

i got a 92 eg hatch and i wanted to convert it into right hand drive
so my question is that if i put the right hand drive on there and put everything on there how would i get it legalized? is it legal to convert a car like that? wat would i need to do so that wen i get pulled over by the pigs i dont get it impunded or something? anyone else done this conversion? any experiences wen cops pull you over? wat do they tell you? thanks
Old 04-16-2007, 08:16 PM
been there done that

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: questions about rhd conversion (99hondacura)

dont do it and avoid all those problems
Old 04-16-2007, 08:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

o ok anyone else?
Old 04-16-2007, 08:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Not sure what the process is to legalize a car converted to right hand drive but awhile back i was looking into bringing a car over from japan and it seems like it was alot more work then it was worth. Mainly $$$...
Old 04-16-2007, 09:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

how much did it turn out to be?
Old 04-17-2007, 09:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

anyone else
Old 04-17-2007, 09:59 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 99hondacura &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i got a 92 eg hatch and i wanted to convert it into right hand drive
so my question is that if i put the right hand drive on there and put everything on there how would i get it legalized? is it legal to convert a car like that? wat would i need to do so that wen i get pulled over by the pigs i dont get it impunded or something? anyone else done this conversion? any experiences wen cops pull you over? wat do they tell you? thanks </TD></TR></TABLE>

What exactly would be the point of this? Are you going to deliver mail out of it?
Old 04-17-2007, 10:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: questions about rhd conversion (WihaSi)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by WihaSi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

What exactly would be the point of this? Are you going to deliver mail out of it? </TD></TR></TABLE>

Actually you could take advantage of the right side window at Checkers, which is almost always empty !!

But seriously, it takes a lot of $$, and information to do it properly. Try a search for it, I am sure it has been covered previously. Good Luck if you decide to pursue it.
Old 04-17-2007, 06:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: questions about rhd conversion (WihaSi)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by WihaSi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

What exactly would be the point of this? Are you going to deliver mail out of it? </TD></TR></TABLE>

Some local we know with an R33 GTR pulls up to drive-thru's and complains that they built everything all backwards.
Old 04-17-2007, 06:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: questions about rhd conversion (97Ej6mike)

lmfao... that's funny
Old 04-17-2007, 07:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

actually it is perfectly legal, all due to our postal system. if it wasn't, they couldnt do it. postal service or not. you dont have to do anything to legalize it either that im aware of. just check with your insurance company on those factors, whether its covered by local law, or if there is a change in policy on insurance.

as for drive ups... youre on your own, you could always use a passenger and when you dont have one... throw'er in reverse.

honestly its not too expensive, pick up the May 2007 issue of "Modified Magazine" there are 3 how to's. One is RHD conversion which is only cutting out the firewall and rewelding a new one, and properly reassembling everything for RHD, and roll cage installation and something else.

Anymore questions just ask.
Old 04-17-2007, 07:10 PM
been there done that

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: (JDMBoostedDA)

look what happened to this guy: https://honda-tech.com/zerothread/1927439
Old 04-18-2007, 08:47 AM

Default Re: (JDMBoostedDA)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JDMBoostedDA &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">honestly its not too expensive, pick up the May 2007 issue of "Modified Magazine" there are 3 how to's. One is RHD conversion which is only cutting out the firewall and rewelding a new one, and properly reassembling everything for RHD, and roll cage installation and something else.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I would think that it would be kind of expensive, I don't know too much about a conversion like this. Wouldn't you have to get a whole new dash, so your instrument cluster will be on the right hand side? And what about steering gears and linkage? And what would you do with a manual tranny? And getting your steering column and all that good stuff to the right side, sounds like a pain in the ***.
Old 04-21-2007, 04:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

damn sucks for that dude! anyways where i live here in colorado we dont got to take emissions does that help in anyway making this easier with the cops n dmv?
Old 06-10-2007, 03:03 PM

Default Re: (99hondacura)

ok look the way to get it done is to cut ur firewall and all but to change the vin i found out that cut ur vin out of ur lhd firewall and then cut a hole where the rhd vin is. so after that weld ur vin number to the rhd firewall and then sand it so it looks real. try it out.
Old 06-10-2007, 03:23 PM
Ek Forever y0!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: (jdmboyej1)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jdmboyej1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">ok look the way to get it done is to cut ur firewall and all but to change the vin i found out that cut ur vin out of ur lhd firewall and then cut a hole where the rhd vin is. so after that weld ur vin number to the rhd firewall and then sand it so it looks real. try it out. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Uh, jdm cars don't have Vin's. They aren't even in the same location.

I don't see why people do this. The roads, business, atms, traffic laws were all designed for LHD cars. It makes everything damn incovenient.

I wouldn't want to have to go through a drive through backwards.
Old 06-10-2007, 05:20 PM

Default Re: (ek forever guy)

uhh thats why u can have some one else with u or just not go to the drive threw its not so hard to think people. but people do it so they can get recognized and be different then the rest
Old 06-24-2007, 10:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

check it out i have personally had 2 cars done now with no problems i personally did my first one myself, there is a right way to do it first off of course it has to be firewall done, next it has to have the firewall vin swap from firewall to firewall and dash to dash you can actually go to sherrifs station and they will have someone restamp your vin to the new dash while windshield is out. i cut out the vin out my lhd firewall and cut out the same size out the rhd and welded it back up and cleaned it up so it looked exactly like it does stock but with my vin in the rhd firewall. i also had a copy of my reciept where i purchased the clip for the conversion, my car is already registered so there no need to legalize anything just make sure things are swapped over for legal purposes. my car is registered and insured with no issues like i stated the main things you have to do is swap all the vin info over and you are good, driving on the right isnt illegal and is actually cool to me. Dont worry about all this replies about why you are wanting to do it or haters its not there money your spending so dont worry about what they have to say!!!!! my ek is being done right now at a shop and they take care of all legal issues so ill pick it up turnkey and ready to go wiht no issues for $2000.00 so i have a ej1 and a ek hatch both right hand