Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Questions about my engine....

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2006, 06:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Questions about my engine....

I have a 1993 Honda Civic and it had rodknock and when I was driving it the piston rod broke and went through the crank case.The engine still runs(it runs rough but it runs) so what I wanted to know is if I get a new piston rod installed and I have a piece of aluminum welded over the hole in the crank case should everything work ok?I was thinking about buying a sohc v-tec but i was worried that because its valves are electronically controlled that I would have to take it to get tuned and when i do that it would be expensive,is this true?
Old 08-19-2006, 06:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Questions about my engine.... (whatafool)

Yeah, uh, you dont want to do that.

Buy a new engine. JB Weld is not your best friend here.
Old 08-19-2006, 06:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by whatafool &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I have a 1993 Honda Civic and it had rodknock and when I was driving it the piston rod broke and went through the crank case.The engine still runs(it runs rough but it runs) so what I wanted to know is if I get a new piston rod installed and I have a piece of aluminum welded over the hole in the crank case should everything work ok?I was thinking about buying a sohc v-tec but i was worried that because its valves are electronically controlled that I would have to take it to get tuned and when i do that it would be expensive,is this true?</TD></TR></TABLE>

get a engine rebuild, basically thats what u need and it will be better than ur idea
Old 08-19-2006, 06:23 PM
Banned

you have a lot of research to do, come back and make another thread after you have an understanding of what VTEC is, how it works and what you should do.
Old 08-19-2006, 06:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (strictly.business)

I will go one step farther and say that if he thinks he can weld a piece of metal in that gaping hole in the block, then he needs to learn more about engines in general rather than trying to understand how VTEC works.
Old 08-20-2006, 03:39 AM

v-tec stands for variable valve timing electronic lift control(or something simular to that).a sohc(single over head cam) v-tec has a camputer which changes the profile of the intake valve to adjust to the speed of the engine.i know about v-tecs i was going to buy a sohc v-tec for $400 thats imported from japan i just dont know what kind of maintanence a v-tec would require.so dont tell me to learn more about v-tecs and then come back just answer my question.also if i had a thick piece of aluminum and i welded it over the hole i guarentee the it would work fine.i have seen people do it before.
Old 08-20-2006, 05:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by whatafool &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">v-tec stands for variable valve timing electronic lift control(or something simular to that).a sohc(single over head cam) v-tec has a camputer which changes the profile of the intake valve to adjust to the speed of the engine.i know about v-tecs i was going to buy a sohc v-tec for $400 thats imported from japan i just dont know what kind of maintanence a v-tec would require.so dont tell me to learn more about v-tecs and then come back just answer my question.also if i had a thick piece of aluminum and i welded it over the hole i guarentee the it would work fine.i have seen people do it before.</TD></TR></TABLE>... seriously, is it just me or is this guy reall really retarded.... i mean who the expletive in there own mind.. would want to weld a piece of metal to a hole in the block... i mean w..t..f. i would love for you to show me a link or a picture of someone fixing a hole in the block.....
p.s... drunk ftw
Old 08-20-2006, 05:50 AM

Default Re: Questions about my engine.... (fizeks)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by fizeks &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">... seriously, is it just me or is this guy reall really retarded.... i mean who the expletive in there own mind.. would want to weld a piece of metal to a hole in the block... i mean w..t..f. i would love for you to show me a link or a picture of someone fixing a hole in the block.....
p.s... drunk ftw </TD></TR></TABLE>

ok then tell me exactly why it wouldnt work.
Old 08-20-2006, 06:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by whatafool &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">ok then tell me exactly why it wouldnt work.</TD></TR></TABLE>

cause its just gonna bust out another hole in that same spot, its not going to be able to take the heat and pressure
Old 08-20-2006, 06:32 AM

Default Re: Questions about my engine.... (93cb7sedan)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 93cb7sedan &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

cause its just gonna bust out another hole in that same spot, its not going to be able to take the heat and pressure</TD></TR></TABLE>

yea there would be alot of pressure.....oh well i guess ill just get the v-tec.ok i have one other question....i know someone that has a v-tec but they left the car sitting for a while and now when they try to start it,it sounds like it dosnt have much compression and it wont start.do you know why?
Old 08-20-2006, 06:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

no clue, but FYI VTEC not V-TEC
Old 08-20-2006, 06:39 AM

Default Re: Questions about my engine.... (93cb7sedan)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 93cb7sedan &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">no clue, but FYI VTEC not V-TEC </TD></TR></TABLE>

i call it v-tec.why?do you have a problem with that?
Old 08-20-2006, 06:43 AM
HT White Ops

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yeah .... it's Variable valve Timing and Electronic lift Control ....

not VARIABLE - valve Timing and Electronic lift Control.
Old 08-20-2006, 06:53 AM

Default Re: Questions about my engine.... (Eran)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Eran &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Yeah .... it's Variable valve Timing and Electronic lift Control ....

not VARIABLE - valve Timing and Electronic lift Control.</TD></TR></TABLE>

the reason i call it v-tec is because when people say vtec they say v(the letter) and then tec(the word).so if people called it all by letters vtec then i would spell it as vtec but people say v and then tec so i call it v-tec.
Old 08-20-2006, 06:54 AM
HT White Ops

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

VEETAK.