Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Questions about the Del Sol - Safety, body flex, targa top

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2012, 02:06 PM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Questions about the Del Sol - Safety, body flex, targa top

Hello, I am buying my first car and am highly considering the Del Sol. I don't want to do an impulse purchase and have been finding as much information on it as I can, but my lurking across various forums has reached the extent of its usefulness. Being as how this is my first car, it should be known that I don't know that much about cars.

So, here are my questions, I would very much appreciate it if anyone could help me with these.

1. Just how safe is the Del Sol? I've heard vastly differing opinions on this that range from it being an instant death-trap to being the same as any other civic. I can't find that much for official crash test records of it, so it'd put my mind at ease to get some more opinions on whether or not I'm gonna kill myself if I crash it.

2. I know that it has issues with body flex, is this a big deal? Sorry for my lack of knowledge regarding cars, but I'm not entirely sure if this should worry me much or not.

3. Is the '93 model worth getting if its in good condition? It is the oldest model, which makes me somewhat hesitant to get one. I'm particularly concerned about the Targa top seals leaking, as they reworked them in the 95 models and on to leak less.

For anyone who takes the time to read this, thank you.

Last edited by Former User; 07-06-2012 at 03:46 PM. Reason: Value question deleted - it belongs in Value sticky at top.
Old 07-06-2012, 02:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Couple questions about the Del Sol that are bothering me

1. The del sol has a very similar chassis to the 92-95 civic, if that helps answer your question. And as long as the srs light isnt going off or they put a detachable steering wheel, it should be pretty safe.
2. It's basically a civic, so body flex will be pretty noticable until suspension has been upgraded.
3. Honestly you should wait around for a nicet del sol. Either a newer one, like a 95 you said, or even the del sols that come from the factory with a b16, unless you could care less about performance
Old 07-06-2012, 06:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Questions about the Del Sol - Safety, body flex, targa top

I have a 93 Del Sol. The body flex is because it has a targa top, there isn't a roof to stop the body from twisting some. It doesn't matter. The car still goes around corners fast enough to make me laugh. The top on mine has never leaked, but with any convertible, you're going in have to plan for a few extra costs, keep that in mind.

That being said, the Del Sol isn't as safe any car for sale new. There have been light years of improvements in safety since these cars were built. However:

Drive one with the top off, and then drive another car, even a nicer cars right afterwords. There is something about these little cars that makes every drive better.

The 93 only comes with a driver's side airbag - 94 and later adds a passenger airbag. Go for an SI or Vtec model.
Old 07-07-2012, 03:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The del sols are a fun car. If you live in a urban area with a lot of city traffic I would get a bigger car. If it's your first car expect your first fender bender. If you live in the country or near a beach and just cruise around locally get a sol. A sol is a great second car, fun to work on and drive on dry days. Mine leak a little, not good when you're dressed up. Other drivers tend to tailgate you if you're in a del sol. I don't know why but it's annoying.
Good luck with your choice.
Old 07-07-2012, 06:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

My 94 leaks from the top windows :\ Really fun car to drive, funner then my turbo civic just because how small it is. Wish I could take it back to the states with me. They are just as reliable as a civic.
Old 07-07-2012, 05:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

1... safety? really its a honda, a very small honda... fender bender your gonna be fine... head of with a 350 diesel your gonna have some problems
2...i owned a 95 lowered an some teins and nice wheel and tire set up with good strut bars upper and lower.. u can deff tell the deference from when the top is off and when its on but unless your road racing it you wont have a problem.. fun car to drive when lowered with top on or off...
3...everyone one of these cars leaks a little.. windows up, right at the front crack.. as long as you have the seals nice and fresh it shouldnt cause to much of a problem... 93-97 it dont matter all of them are old... very fun car though once they have a lil power