Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Questions about Cylinder head, cleaning, and others

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2003, 12:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Questions about Cylinder head, cleaning, and others

First let me say that this is my first real post. After seeing hundreds of "Hey look at my hatch (56k take a seat)" I decided not to start off with that. I finally have a camera and have some questions about my head gasket problem.

I really just want this car to work properly, do not want to get performance out of it. Since i have taken off my cylinder head, I was wondering what other maintenance i could do.

Should i clean the pistons or just leave them? I want to clean the block since the head is off but i wasnt sure about the pistons. As far as the edges, should I sand this off before I put the new gasket on?

Here is the gasket

I also had questions about the cylinder head. I know the engine was at TDC, but some of the valves are still sticking out. Here is the pic:

As far as gaskets, I need the head, intake manifold, and exhaust manifold. Do i need anything else?

I hope that is everything, I will post if i think of ne thing else.

Edit: Resize any one?

Modified by MLogan at 10:06 PM 6/3/2003
Old 06-03-2003, 01:09 PM

Default Re: Questions about Cylinder head, cleaning, and others (MLogan)

I would also like to know, when you get ready to put the head back on with a new gasket, should you clean the block and the head where the gasket touches? Is there any sort of preparation needed?
Old 06-03-2003, 01:17 PM

Default Re: Questions about Cylinder head, cleaning, and others (youngkow)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by youngkow &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I would also like to know, when you get ready to put the head back on with a new gasket, should you clean the block and the head where the gasket touches? Is there any sort of preparation needed?</TD></TR></TABLE>

i want to say use a die grinder with a prep disc but im not sure if that will effect the surface as far as causing leaks...probably the safest way would be to have the block milled clean....like i said though, im not so sure of this.
Old 06-03-2003, 06:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Questions about Cylinder head, cleaning, and others (NA EJ1)

I was just gonna use sandpaper or something. I've been cleaning the block and stuff with simple green but i know it has to be really clean.
Old 06-04-2003, 12:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Is it ok to clean the carbon off the top of the pistons and valves or should i leave them alone? any one?
Old 06-04-2003, 12:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Don't forget the valve cover gasket, unless you want to reuse the old one.

Good question on the cleaning, I would like to know this too, since I happen to have a dirty little head lying around. I know with the cylinders you have to be careful not to let them rust, as they will do so extremely fast if water is left on them. So be careful if you do clean the pistons while they are still in the engine.
Old 06-04-2003, 02:30 PM

Default Re: Questions about Cylinder head, cleaning, and others (piscorpio)

Keep the carbon on the pistons........it ups your compression ratio from all the extra space it takes up! LOL J/P
Old 06-04-2003, 02:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

When i first took the head off, i was worried that the valves needed adjustment cuz some were sticking out but i realized they were in the intake and exhaust cycles. NE one else on cleaning pistons and the block for the gasket?
Old 06-05-2003, 06:06 AM

It would be a good idea to clean it up....everything. You definitely need to get the old gasket off of head and block. Keep WD-40 on exposed surfaces, it will rust.
To be safe, I would take it to a machine shop and let them mill if neccessary. Mating surfaces should be clean and level, very important so you dont blow again. If they are a good shop, they will blast it for you. You will need a valve adjustment. Be sure when re-installing, everything is clocked right.

Since you are there, clean your intake manifold too. You should replace water pump and timing belt, if not already done.
Old 06-05-2003, 06:18 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i took a polishing metal bristle brush i found in my house when i had my head off and put it in my drill and cleaned the carbon right off the pistons
Old 06-05-2003, 12:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Questions about Cylinder head, cleaning, and others (FyReo3)

Yeah i plan on milling the head if it is outside the parameters of the helms manual.

My dad suggested using carb cleaner and a razor to clean off the old gasket, not sure if this works yet.
Old 06-05-2003, 05:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I used the carb cleaner and razor to clean up the cylinder head and block and it worked pretty well. Just sprayed it on and covered with paper towel so i could soak in. Then i just went at it with razor and most of it came right off. Also cleaned my pistons and valves.

Just be careful, that stuff is strong. I was getting a headache after a little while.
Old 06-05-2003, 05:26 PM
Solbros Owns Me

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

You don't need to deck the block or mill the head. You may choose to, but it's not needed.

The easiest way to clean the mating surfaces, is to use a SOS pad and some simple green or carb cleaner.

Then, when you're ready to put the new gasket on, spray it generously with copper gasket spray. This will seal all imperfections and make for a good head seal.

You don't need to replace exhaust manifold gasket unless it's metal and still works fine, and you don't need to replace intake gaseket unless it fell apart on you.

Cleaning the pistons is pointless because they'll end up that way again. But you can get all the big chunks of build up off though
Old 06-05-2003, 05:33 PM

Default Re: Questions about Cylinder head, cleaning, and others (Emerika)

Yeah, I have cleaned mine within a couple months and today I took my head off and there it all is again.
Old 06-05-2003, 05:38 PM
AMG
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Questions about Cylinder head, cleaning, and others (Trial User)

this is kinda offtopic, but do you ever really need to preform any of this cleaning after a ceratin amount of miles have been put on it to prolong engine life, or is it pure choice? And with all that carbon build up, can it effect air flow?
Old 06-05-2003, 05:41 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Questions about Cylinder head, cleaning, and others (Trial User)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Trial User &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Yeah, I have cleaned mine within a couple months and today I took my head off and there it all is again. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Funny thing what combustion does
Old 06-05-2003, 06:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Questions about Cylinder head, cleaning, and others (Emerika)

Ok, that answers some of my questions. My dad keeps buggin me that i should get it checked out. He wants to know why the gasket went and thinks it will happen again if i dont mill it. I knew there was some spray and now i know what to look for.

As for cleaning the pistons, i know they will get dirty again but figured i should clean them. Ill have to check the im and em gaskets. Thanks for the help.
Old 06-05-2003, 06:32 PM
Solbros Owns Me

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

if you really want to clean them, the only safe way to do so is to pull em....I usually run them in a dishwasher cycle without the rings....dry them right away, and you're good to go