Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Questions about a b18c swap. ECU, FUEL PUMP, CRANK PULLEY etc...

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2004, 09:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Questions about a b18c swap. ECU, FUEL PUMP, CRANK PULLEY etc...

i tried checking the search function about ecu's there are a whole lot of different ones and its hard to pick through which ones would help me best.

my situation:

i am trading my headlights for a b16a3 head. i'm going to see if i can buy a stock b18c bottom end. i was wondering which ecu i would need. what are primary diffrences between them like PR3? or P72? i have no idea

also wiht crank pulleys, everyone is talking about hte ctr n1 crank pulley. i dont have power steering but i want to keep ac (for now) i'm wondering whether or not to get an aftermarket one (since th ebottom block doesnt come with one. or buy a stock one. any input? i see a bunch of them on ebay, both ctr n1 and aftermarket (like "CFR performance")

this is all going into a 93 del sol s. i was wondering if i can keep the stock fuel filter, but use the fuel pump off a dohc vtec equipped car.

other than that what all else do i need to worry about?

axles i can use stock integras right?

t.i.a
Old 01-14-2004, 10:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Questions about a b18c swap. ECU, FUEL PUMP, CRANK PULLEY etc... (phantom_sol)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
i am trading my headlights for a b16a3 head. i'm going to see if i can buy a stock b18c bottom end. i was wondering which ecu i would need. what are primary diffrences between them like PR3? or P72? i have no idea</TD></TR></TABLE>
i'd suggest a P30,although any OBDI DOHC VTEC ECU should work.the P72 is optimized for the GSR manifold,so it wouldn't be a good choice for the B16 head.
here's alist of ECUs:
http://honda.hybrids.jp/forum/...78140

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">also wiht crank pulleys, everyone is talking about hte ctr n1 crank pulley. i dont have power steering but i want to keep ac (for now) i'm wondering whether or not to get an aftermarket one (since th ebottom block doesnt come with one. or buy a stock one. any input? i see a bunch of them on ebay, both ctr n1 and aftermarket (like "CFR performance")</TD></TR></TABLE>
opinions differ on this-some people say the aftermarket pulleys can damage your motor.if you don't have any accesories,i'd go with the OEM CTR pulley.if you want to keep AC,i'd stay stock

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">this is all going into a 93 del sol s. i was wondering if i can keep the stock fuel filter, but use the fuel pump off a dohc vtec equipped car.

other than that what all else do i need to worry about?

axles i can use stock integras right? </TD></TR></TABLE>
you can keep the stock fuel filter,although it wouldn't hurt to get a new one if it hasn't been changed in a while.
you can keep your factory fuel pump as long as it still works well.you can upgrade to pumps from other models,or go aftermarket.your basically stock B series setup won't requre it though.
you can use 94+ teg or Del Sol VTEC axles.
chris
Old 01-14-2004, 11:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Questions about a b18c swap. ECU, FUEL PUMP, CRANK PULLEY etc... (TeamNextGenChris)

thanks for the great info on ecu's. as far as crank goes, would any b sereis crank pulley work? or are there diffrences...

fuel filter sizes doesnt make a difference? just didnt wnat to have anythign restrictive that sholdnt be there.

the fuel pump i think needs to be replaced. a stock fuel pump that supported the 1.5 sohc engine, wint feed the b18 in higher rpm's (i think). i've heard people having issues at high end because of stock fuel pumps. and that it would work with the b18b but with the vtec motors it needed higher flowing capacity. if anyone can confirm or set me strait on this i would grealty appreciate it.

thanks for the post !
Old 01-14-2004, 12:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Questions about a b18c swap. ECU, FUEL PUMP, CRANK PULLEY etc... (phantom_sol)

i've seen plenty of people running the stock civic pump and have no problems at all with B-series,VTEC motors.i ran my B18C1 on the stock Civic pump for forever.i think when you hear of people having problems,it may be partly due to old age....
all the EGs have the same size pump-from the CX up to the Si/EX...
just for reference i found this info archived:
Teg VTEC fuel pumps flow 135 lph.
D series Civic and non-VTEC Teg fuel pumps flow at 79 lph

for the crank pulleys, all the B-series pulleys should be interchangable.but,keep in mind that if using a pulley off another motor,the timing marks may not be correctly placed for your motor.
chris
Old 01-14-2004, 12:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

PR3 is a pain in the ***. P72 won`t fit your application. P28 is the best bang for the buck, easily chipped and around $100. P30 works well too, but I remember them being a bit more costly.

Run stock pulleys, even a CTR so long as its stock. Nothing worse then hearing about someone running those light weight underdrive pulleys and having catastrophic consequences.
Old 01-14-2004, 12:41 PM
TSPeed Factory

Default Re: Questions about a b18c swap. ECU, FUEL PUMP, CRANK PULLEY etc... (Sin 2)

with my B18C1 swap i'm lookin for a P28 and getting it rechipped. i've heard that the P72 and P28 are the same except the P72 runs a knock sensor and activates the secondary butterflies. someone correct me if i'm wrong.
Old 01-14-2004, 01:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Questions about a b18c swap. ECU, FUEL PUMP, CRANK PULLEY etc... (AzntaggeR)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by AzntaggeR &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">with my B18C1 swap i'm lookin for a P28 and getting it rechipped. i've heard that the P72 and P28 are the same except the P72 runs a knock sensor and activates the secondary butterflies. someone correct me if i'm wrong.</TD></TR></TABLE>
they are totally different.the P28 is made for the OBDI 92-95 SOHC VTEC engines.it has different fuel and ignition maps and a lower rev-limiter..
the P72 comes in both OBDI and OBDII and is intended to run the 94+ B18C1 DOHC VTEC engine.it has both a knock sensor circuit and a circuit for the IAB system on the C1.
both are chippable with the same programs,but in stco form they are very different.
chris
Old 01-14-2004, 01:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Questions about a b18c swap. ECU, FUEL PUMP, CRANK PULLEY etc...

If you`re looking into a program, IM HT user Katman, I have used his work and he comes very well recomended by everyone who knows him. JHP back his work up, that should say something
Old 01-15-2004, 07:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

will a vtec ecu just "plug in" to my stock wiring harness? and would i just have to run 4 seperate wires for hte vtec selenoid? or is it something i have to replace (harness)
Old 01-15-2004, 08:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by phantom_sol &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">will a vtec ecu just "plug in" to my stock wiring harness? and would i just have to run 4 seperate wires for hte vtec selenoid? or is it something i have to replace (harness)</TD></TR></TABLE>
yes,an OBDI VTEC ECU will plug right in to your hraness.you will have to add the appropriate knock and VTEC wires-no big deal.
chris
Old 01-15-2004, 03:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

are the wires just pig tailed and not used?

thanks everyone for the great info so far.

so far:
p30 ecu
and any stock b series crank pulley.

doesnt the CTR n1 pully stress the block somehow because it doesnt have a harmonic balancer?

Old 03-05-2004, 01:01 AM

will the ctr pulley work on a d series motor?

the dh racing advertising thier pulley works on everything but the k series...does that mean the b and d's are interchangable?
Old 03-05-2004, 01:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Replace your stock "S" model fuel pump to at least a VTEC B-series engine one--either off the B16 del sols, civic si's or integra gsrs... If not then just get the walbro 255lph. Either way you should upgrade it.

In terms of ECU, get the P28 if you have someone who will be chipping it for you. Its also good for just riding around if you dont have someone to chip it for you but I wouldnt recommend it. If you end up getting the P28 it should be plug and play but yes you will need to wire up the vtec solenoid. i think there was like 4 wires or something... just look up the FAQ on it.

I hope this helps...
Old 03-05-2004, 03:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

thanks,

i studies the wiring diagram of my car and theres an orange/white and orange/blue wire on a junction near the upper shock area on passenger side. those are the 2 wires that go to the selenoid. the other 2 are grounds