Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Question for you guys. - Civic or ITR?

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2002, 04:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question for you guys.

Would you rather have a real Type R or 92-95 Hatch with full Type R swap and full suspension. Not just for all out speed, but for the Handling aspect, Braking ability, and looks. And would the 92-95 hatch with all the Type R suspension and Motor swap out handle the R????? Don't base your opinion on the Rareness of the R either. Just for the sake of arguement assume that they were both ample in supply. What would you pick and why?
Old 10-26-2002, 04:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Question for you guys. (Extreme_Hybrid_Hatch)

00 Civic Type-R over the 95 any day!

-a
Old 10-26-2002, 04:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Question for you guys. (Achenar)

00 Civic Type-R over the 95 any day!

-a
um he means integra i bet.
i dont think there are many CTR's here in america.

I would take the integra. but thats jus tme.
Old 10-26-2002, 04:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

IMO i think id rather have the fully built hatch, just because i love that body style!!!

Old 10-26-2002, 05:00 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Question for you guys. (disguy)

Roger Foo handed 3 or 4 Real Time Racing Type R's last year at Laguna Seca. But didn't do it all year.

Roger's hatch is powered by a B16, but the rules put the RTR ITR's at about 2600+ lbs.

When it comes down to comparisons like this, driver is about 70% of the equation IMO.

Both cars prepared correctly with equal drivers should be pretty close.
Old 10-26-2002, 05:01 PM
Former Moderator

Received 54 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Re: Question for you guys. (KAMiN)

I'd rather keep my car than own an ITR.

Why?

Because I'm sure that my car already outperforms many ITRs. I've driven my fair share of ITRs, and while they are phenominal cars I still think that their added weight will always hinder the car a tad.

Who says that you even need ITR sus and brakes to equal or outperform an ITR?

Most of those guys ditch their stock **** in favor of better stuff like full matched coil-overs, Koni Yellows with Eibach/GC springs, etc.

All of which can be done to the lighter EG-type chassis.

Here's more **** that makes me like my Civic better:

1. Cost to build - self explanatory. For half you can have a car that outperforms an ITR
2. Cheaper insurance
3. ITR theft rate - do I need to explain this one?
4. Styling and looks

#4 is 100% opinion. The others are factual and plenty of reason for me to own my Civic rather than an ITR.

I might have roughly $13,000.00 in my car and it's easily more performance for the money than an ITR.

You could have the same ultra-reliable motor/tranny as the ITR.
You can do better with less in terms of braking. With a lighter chassis less brakes will actually stop better. The only advantage the ITR has is ABS, and to some the ITR ABS sucks. ABS can be added to an EG-style chassis too if need be.
You can get better-then-ITR suspension for very cheap. $850.00 gets you Koni Yellows and custom Eibach ERS springs.

How much more simple could it be?

There are reasons why I'm seeing more SNs like "ITR457" in our forum asking about costs for swaps and such. ITR guys are realizing these things too I'm sure.

It's all a matter of opinion and preference though. I love ITRs - they are bad-*** cars, but for me I'd rather have my car. A guy with an ITR could ask me to trade straight up for my car + a grand or two for his ITR and I would not do it. I swear to God that's the honest truth. Hell I'd probably not even trade straight up.

I'm too used to the level of performance my little ****-box Civic delivers. It would take a shitload of money to get a near-12 second 1/4 mile pass out of an ITR alone. And that's just trying to get the straight-line quickness to match. The cornering of a good set-up in a Civic will rival or surpass an ITR - can this be disproven?

I'm sure I'll catch hell from ITR guys for this, but I don't try and sell everyone else on a car like mine over an ITR - this topic asks for an opinion and I'm giving mine.

For ME I'd take my over an ITR any day for all of the reasons stated above and then some.

I cannot wait to see what others have to say in this thread. I'm sure it could get ugly really quick.
Old 10-26-2002, 05:03 PM
Former Moderator

BTW:

Sorry that I changed the title, but I want as many people to chime in as possible.

This includes ITR guys, Civic owners, whoever wants to add an opinion.

Old 10-26-2002, 05:07 PM
Future Texas Boy

Nowadays I`d take the R. Few years ago I`d want the hatch.
Old 10-26-2002, 05:31 PM

Default Re: Question for you guys. (vtecvoodoo)

I was just saying the ITR suspension because I know that it should make the Stock civic handle and brake even better. It's cool about the title maybe it will get more hits and more opinions.
Old 10-26-2002, 05:38 PM

Default Re: Question for you guys. (B18C5-EH2)

You can get better-then-ITR suspension for very cheap. $850.00 gets you Koni Yellows and custom Eibach ERS springs.
There you go.
Old 10-27-2002, 04:24 AM
Former Moderator

Odd...nobody has an opinion on this?
Old 10-27-2002, 06:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Question for you guys. (B18C5-EH2)

well I have had both and to tell you MO I think the type R is for a different kiind of consumer then a fully built hybrid hatch
EX: typeR= people who dont want to worry about swapping motors or suspension/breaks with another car (most ITR owners dont shop in a junkyard for car parts if they can help it) the type R is very luxuriouse ccompared to my old hybrid hatch
the Hatch= younger crowd who likes going fast,working on there car and expressing themselves throught thier tastes on the parts for it and dont care about what the car has as far as a good a/c or power steering
----Im not saying that some dont go against what Im saying just saying that the two car attract a different croud.. oh and the part about getting stolen so often is way off.... if there where half as many type R hybrids as there are type R's they would get stolen alot more or look at my sig I have had my R for around 2 years now and I had my hybrid for over a month and now shes gone rest her sole ( oh well now to make an EK-R
Old 10-27-2002, 07:59 AM
Solbros Owns Me

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: Question for you guys. (ITRacer121)

I would prefer the Type R for a few reasons. The first, is performance out of the factory. Now I would rather have the Type R because in stock form, there's everything you need. Of course things could be upgraded, but for daily driving, auto cross, and cruising, you can't beat it. Secondly, it's a limited edition car. Some people might not care, but these are the cars that hold their value. Personally, to take it out of context, would rather have an all original 64 Nova II SS, all mint, than a 64 restored Nova with a built 350, leather seats, and a glorious paint job(throw disc brakes all around, Camara suspension, etc.) Sure, both cars are wonderful, but I would like the original. I also just love everything about the Type R. My room mate has a CW 98 turbocharged one, and it is just plain beautiful. The styling, the paint, the interior, the suspension, everything, is all factory and all very well put together. And of course, like most everything, could be upgraded to say some N1 dampers, Zeal function 3's, etc. It's kinda of like somebody who would rather have an M3 over a 330 with an M3 powerplant. It's just not the same.
Old 10-27-2002, 08:00 AM
Solbros Owns Me

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: Question for you guys. (Emerica)

turbo's not from factory obviously, but some hilarious person might make a huge deal about it