Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

A question for swap wiring masters!!!! Kinda long....

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2003, 10:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A question for swap wiring masters!!!! Kinda long....

Alright, so I've done a tone of searching and I am just going to write down what I've read just to make sure everything I'm about to do is correct. Alright so I'll first start out tell you guys what I'm putting into what. I just received a OBD1 B16A2 and it is going into my OBD2 1997 Civic CX hatch. I am going to use my stock non-vtec CX wiring harness and convert it to OBD1 with one of Kenji's conversion harnesses.
From what I understand the main differences in wiring harness between OBD1 and OBD2 is in the distributor and the fuel injectors. I will be splicing in the distributor plugs from the B16 into the stock harness. I will also be using the fuel injectors off of the D-series on the B-series so I do not have to change the plugs. I will then need to splice in the IACV plug from the B16 onto the stock harness. I am not sure if I will need to move the A14 wire to the A12 slot on the stock harness. From what I understand the harness will then plug into the B16.
The next step would be to wire up the VTEC sensors. I was planning to wire the sensors up to Kenji's conversion harness by using this diagram.
Another question I have is with the knock sensor. Do I have to wire the knock sensor up to the stock CX wiring harness in the D6 hole or is it not needed because I am running OBD1?

I think this is it for now. Thank you for all the responses. I will start the swap once i get all the mounts and the conversion harness.
Old 07-09-2003, 11:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: A question for swap wiring masters!!!! Kinda long.... (aw1234dude)

Well I figured out that I will still need to wire up the knock sensor since its still on the OBD1 harness.
Old 07-09-2003, 11:24 PM

Default Re: A question for swap wiring masters!!!! Kinda long.... (aw1234dude)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by aw1234dude &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I am not sure if I will need to move the A14 wire to the A12 slot on the stock harness.
</TD></TR></TABLE>
Yes you need to do this since the CX has a 3 wire iacv and the b16 has a 2 wire. As far as everything else sounds like you are on the right track. Only thing i would mention is that youll have to extend the MAP,TPS, and some other sensor wiring so that it fits that motor. No big deal just cut and extend and resauder. Good luck. Just take your time and have all your diagrams and you will have no problem.
Old 07-09-2003, 11:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: A question for swap wiring masters!!!! Kinda long.... (jDmDxTuRd)

For the wires I need to extend, I will figure which ones I need to do one way or another when they dont reach right. I dont have a helms or anything but i have a haynes for the civic so I know what the names of most of the sensors are on the D16, but I dont have a manual for the B16 so I'm not sure about which sensors are which for the VTEC part. I might have to bite the bullet and go out and buy a Haynes for the B16 because i dont have enough for a helms.