Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Question Regarding Intake Manifolds and Throttle Bodies

Old 08-17-2013, 01:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon2 Question Regarding Intake Manifolds and Throttle Bodies

Hey guys, just had a few questions in the hopes that those more knowledgeable and experienced could help me on a few things. First off, I made a dumb purchase and got a 70mm skunk2 TB for my 93 civic ex coupe (d16z6). Research before hand told me it was compatible with d series engines and the ratings on amazon were mostly 5 and 4 star. Then I ran into many problems. My idle is crazy high or surging. I'm not sure if the butterfly valve is getting stuck on the stock manifold or I'd the spring is getting stuck on the throttle. I can't go back to my stock TB until my new fitv comes in (it broke while taking it off, not too sure how, it won't screw right, but the threading seems fine). Not too bent out of shape about the new TB since it was only 140 with shipping and tax. Also found out the inside of my intake manifold is really dirty, so it needs replaced asap.
But this leads into my real question of what are the best tb's and im's for the z6. I always heard skunk2 was a good reputable company until I found out how many people where having idle issues using their intake products. The only other company I've heard of making these aftermarket parts is edelbrock, but I've never heard that name in the Honda scene.
Is skunk2 no good or are a lot of people making a common mistake installing these products?
My map sensor and Tps are good, brand new actually, and calibrated. The idle screw is making minimal difference because the throttle is getting stuck, throttle cable is adjusted, no vacuum leaks, coolant is good, maybe 70m is just too big. But I've also read about these same unresolved issues with all sizes of their TB and like I said also the intake manifold.
Thanks in advanced for whoever chimes in.
Old 08-17-2013, 07:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Question Regarding Intake Manifolds and Throttle Bodies

i too have the intake mani and throttle body, I do not have the idle surge or high idle but I did at one time, you just have to mess with it alot until you get it where you want. my idle as low as it can go with out the butterfly getting stuck closed and killing the engine is about 1000 1500 rpm. sorry if I didn't help much just giving my 2 cents.
Old 08-17-2013, 07:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Mines usually at 2000 now, I can manually get it down to 1600 if I really push on the throttle but when driving it'll get stuck at 2500. I can't figure out if the butterfly valve is getting stuck on the intake manifold or if the spring is sticking or something else. I've also read that the iacv has no idea what's happening without the fitv and it overcompensates. But once I have my s300 installed the tune should fix that. It would fix the surge but not the stick. And it actually hasn't surged in almost 3 days now. But when it does, driving at low rpms is impossible, the car is just jerking to get up to the 2000-2500 rpm range. Dangerous in slow traffic. If I can get it working right, that'd be ideal but I'm pretty sure I'm putting the stock TB back on for the time being.
Old 08-17-2013, 08:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

TLDR: WHY are you spending money on an all motor D series ?? revert back to stock
Old 08-17-2013, 09:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Not really building it to be the fastest car in the world or anything. Bought it used pretty cheap out of Pittsburgh but 20 years of previous ownership wasn't too friendly. So I'm working on mainly complete restoration but with some aftermarket parts because why not? I did the exhaust because the old one fell off, the intake the people before me was garbage, and now I've looked at the intake manifold and it is really clogged up.