Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Question: Rear Disk Brakes on EK hatch...

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2004, 04:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question: Rear Disk Brakes on EK hatch...

I jus got some 99 si's rear disk brakes that I want to put on my car...Do I really need the Si booster, Si master cylinder, and Si proportional valve if i'm jus installing the rear disk brakes and not upgrading the fronts...
Old 06-14-2004, 04:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

dont NEED them
but its recommended that you at least get the prop valve
Old 06-14-2004, 05:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Question: Rear Disk Brakes on EK hatch... (igone916)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by igone916 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I jus got some 99 si's rear disk brakes that I want to put on my car...Do I really need the Si booster, Si master cylinder, and Si proportional valve if i'm jus installing the rear disk brakes and not upgrading the fronts...</TD></TR></TABLE>

preferably yes but not neccesary. I would suggest just the master cylinder and the proportioning valve if u want to stop on o dime!
Old 06-14-2004, 05:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Question: Rear Disk Brakes on EK hatch... (civic_type_r)

i installed a complete 5 Lug CTR swap w/ Earl's Lines, Brembo Blanks, and Axxis Ultimates on a 99 DX hatch.... didn't change booster or prop valve, brakes work great.
Old 06-18-2004, 08:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Question: Rear Disk Brakes on EK hatch... (citrEK)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by citrEK &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i installed a complete 5 Lug CTR swap w/ Earl's Lines, Brembo Blanks, and Axxis Ultimates on a 99 DX hatch.... didn't change booster or prop valve, brakes work great. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Here are my 99-00 Si's rear brakes...This is all I got. Can i use 94-01 integra brake cables or can I only use the 99-00 Si's brake cables. Also, I don't have the brake line that hooks up to the caliper, can I use my DX or do I have to use the Si's. Please help in possible...

Old 06-19-2004, 12:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

no one knows???
Old 06-19-2004, 06:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

this has been covered a million and a half times.... there's at least two recent howto's in the howto thread (there's some really good information in there, ignore any assclown who tells you you don't need a flare nut wrench)

cables: 99-00si, yes you can use others but these are easiest and require less ghetto rigging.
lines: 99-00si

prop valve is the most important. Not replacing it can lead to warped rotors and f'd up calipers. If it wasn't needed then why the **** would they make two different ones? (works without it, works better with it...)

All of this information is in the brake swap howto..... just takes a minute....
Old 06-19-2004, 08:42 AM

Default Re: Question: Rear Disk Brakes on EK hatch... (miahmouse)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by miahmouse &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">prop valve is the most important. Not replacing it can lead to warped rotors and f'd up calipers. If it wasn't needed then why the **** would they make two different ones? (works without it, works better with it...)</TD></TR></TABLE>

HAHA
wrong
that line in your sig fits you well

all 96-00 hatchbacks have the same prop valve as the 99-00 si. you don't need the prop valve if you have a hatch - if it's a coupe or sedan you do.

http://www.slhondaparts.com
check the part numbers yourself if you don't believe me
Old 06-19-2004, 09:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Question: Rear Disk Brakes on EK hatch... (jwn7)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jwn7 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

HAHA
wrong
that line in your sig fits you well

all 96-00 hatchbacks have the same prop valve as the 99-00 si. you don't need the prop valve if you have a hatch - if it's a coupe or sedan you do.

http://www.slhondaparts.com
check the part numbers yourself if you don't believe me </TD></TR></TABLE>

If you read a little closer, I didn't say which vehicles it needed to be replaced on. A general point was made that it's unimportant to replace this item when doing a swap.
for correcting me
for being an ***

edit: not arguing, yes the hatches have the same prop as the Si, I guess I always get on a kick when people just say that it's not important and don't say why and I start thinking about my car (99ex)

Modified by miahmouse at 2:18 PM 6/19/2004
Old 06-19-2004, 10:35 AM
TSPeed Factory

Default Re: Question: Rear Disk Brakes on EK hatch... (miahmouse)

those parts aren't necessary, but they surely would help.
Old 06-19-2004, 11:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Question: Rear Disk Brakes on EK hatch... (AzntaggeR)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by AzntaggeR &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">those parts aren't necessary, but they surely would help.</TD></TR></TABLE>

the exact kind of answer I'm talking about...
Old 06-19-2004, 12:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The front brakes tend to lock up without the proportional valve. You need the Si proportional valve, if not the brakes act up when you stop hard. I have rear disk on my EK and I riuned my front tires becuase I didn't change the proportional valve.
Old 06-19-2004, 12:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by igone916 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I jus got some 99 si's rear disk brakes that I want to put on my car...Do I really need the Si booster, Si master cylinder, and Si proportional valve if i'm jus installing the rear disk brakes and not upgrading the fronts...</TD></TR></TABLE>

can someone post pictures of the booster, master cylinder and prop valve i did the upgrade and i have a DX and i didn't change any of those to si and i have complete si suspension underneath its funny cause all i wanted is swaybars and i ended up having to get the whole suspension wish i would of found Honda tech before i did the upgrade
Old 06-19-2004, 01:14 PM

on my ek i did the same but used gsr 00 and no i didnt change anything just the ebrake cable and brake lines. its fine and no lock up
Old 06-19-2004, 02:19 PM

So the only things that would stil be needed for the swap on htach would be the brake booster and the master cylinder. Since the prop vavle is the same as the si it would be fine to stay with the stock one.
Old 06-19-2004, 04:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (wdskuk)

i have 98dx used 97 gsr rears and my brakes work grrreeaaaattt! did not switch prop valve, master, or booster.
Old 06-19-2004, 04:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (wdskuk)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by wdskuk &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">So the only things that would stil be needed for the swap on htach would be the brake booster and the master cylinder. Since the prop vavle is the same as the si it would be fine to stay with the stock one. </TD></TR></TABLE>

i didnt change any of that when i did my break upgrade just uses everything underneith the car nothing from the engine bay
Old 06-20-2004, 12:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (hybrid98)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by hybrid98 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i have 98dx used 97 gsr rears and my brakes work grrreeaaaattt! did not switch prop valve, master, or booster.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Thanks for all the info and response...So that means that I can't go with integra brake cables, only Si's right?....that sucks cause they are really hard to come by and dealership cost a lot....
Old 06-20-2004, 04:22 AM

Default Re: Question: Rear Disk Brakes on EK hatch... (John Conner)

The 99-00 Civic Si uses the same porp valve as the 96-00 Civic hatch! Don't change it. Honda porp valves only run diagonally, RF/LR, LF/RR. When I did the swap, I added an ITR M/C and booster. This gave the pedal a bit less travel.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Thanks for all the info and response...So that means that I can't go with integra brake cables, only Si's right?....that sucks cause they are really hard to come by and dealership cost a lot....
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yes, you need to run 99-00 Civic Si E-brake cables, I used SI lines also.
Old 06-20-2004, 10:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Question: Rear Disk Brakes on EK hatch... (ALLvtec)

someone post pictures of the booster, master cylinder and prop valve please
Old 06-20-2004, 04:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Question: Rear Disk Brakes on EK hatch... (6ghatch)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 6ghatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Yes, you need to run 99-00 Civic Si E-brake cables, I used SI lines also.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Well does any one have the Si's E-brake cables and SI lines for sale????
Old 07-01-2004, 11:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

anyone with pics yet?
Old 07-12-2004, 09:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Question: Rear Disk Brakes on EK hatch... (John Conner)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by John Conner &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">The front brakes tend to lock up without the proportional valve. You need the Si proportional valve, if not the brakes act up when you stop hard. I have rear disk on my EK and I riuned my front tires becuase I didn't change the proportional valve. </TD></TR></TABLE>

I think you mean proportioning, not proportional
Old 07-12-2004, 10:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Question: Rear Disk Brakes on EK hatch... (Smashback)

no pics yet?
Old 07-12-2004, 11:10 PM

I'll snap some for you when I wake up.

Quick Reply: Question: Rear Disk Brakes on EK hatch...