Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Question: PCV Valve on a JDM ITR Engine? Failing Emissions?

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2004, 10:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I promise this isn't a dumb question!

Alright i've been searching for days and call me stupid if you want b/c any help at this point will be apreciated. But anyways I have a JDM ITR motor in my coupe and failed emissions. I got a great deal on the motor that is why i got it otherwise i prolly would've gott'n the b18c5 (USDM). I took it to honda and they said i have a PCV failure. Now here is my question. The PCV valve that my car contains is Japenese. Does the failure mean the PCV valve is bad or is it failing b/c it's japenese. And does the U.S. PCV valve make my car pass emissions? Before i took the test i had the spark plugs changed, the oil changed and I have an ITR exhaust on my car and JDM ITR intake manifold. Anything that can get me through this test and pass will help so PLEASE don't hesitate to post me. Also i'm going to try that garunteed to pass emissions luqid they have at Advanced Auto and maybe change the PCV valve. That is all i know that i can do. I don't want a USDM ECU and i definitely don't want to change my intake manifold to USDM. That'd be too much. Any more info you need to determine how i can pass just let me know. Thanks guys and as always you all are the best!
Old 03-12-2004, 10:33 AM
Unceasing Measure

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: I promise this isn't a dumb question! (703_Sleeper)

If you know what a PCV (positive crankcase ventillation) valve is, you should be able to pull it out of your valve cover and note whether or not it's fouled up. Regardless, it's like a $9 part and there is nothing negative about replacing it with a new part.
Old 03-14-2004, 07:05 AM

Default Re: I promise this isn't a dumb question! (Archidictus)

thanx man!
Old 03-14-2004, 07:32 AM
Former Moderator

Received 54 Likes on 29 Posts

Hey bro PLEASE read the forum rules.

If you had read them, then you'd have seen the rule about making your topic titles subject specific rather than "Got a Question..."

See you have a valid question, and in order to help others find this info later on down the road it helps to have a good title that pertains to the subject.

I am editing the title to read something having to do with PCV valves on JDM motors. This way if anyone else has the same question he or she can find it easily by performing a seach with key words "PCV and JDM" okay?
Old 03-14-2004, 07:41 AM
Former Moderator

Okay as far as your problem goes, I'll try to help since I have a Type R engine as well.

Give me 10 minutes to go take a few pics of my PCV system on my engine and host them and post them - be right back, okay?

Oh and a vacuum leak caused by a bad PCV system will cause you to fail on HC or hydrocarbons, as will a faulty o2 sensor. You could have a combination of the two, but *usually* if an o2 sensor is faulty enough to fail you then you'll have a check engine light for a bad primary o2 sensor.

Be right back...
Old 03-14-2004, 08:18 AM
Former Moderator

Okay here is a USDM intake manifold and the vaccum hose that goes to the PCV valve, and the PCV valve is circled:

And an up close view of the PCV valve itself - mine is red for some reason, but most are a brownish, or greyish color:

The PCV valve should connect a black box that resides on the back of your block via a small vacuum hose. I could not get a picture of mine because it's too hard to get my camera back there, but you can see the box if you look below the PCV valve. There is another vacuum hose coming off the box into the block itself, and the box is secored into the back of the block as well.

Check all of the hoses to and from the black box, and also try pulling the PCV valve out of it's grommet while the car is running. Stick your finger on the end of the PCV valve and if it doesn't click when you plug it off with your finger, then replace the PCV valve.

Also are you using any oil too? A bad PCV valve can cause a bit of an oil consumption problem too.

Hope that helps some.
Old 03-14-2004, 09:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

thanks for that post B18C5, i've just started burning a little oil and need to check the PCV valve..great help as usual
Old 03-14-2004, 03:57 PM

i have the same problem with failing with my jdm itr motor too. i passed my CO tests but i keep failing the Hydro carbon tests at idle and on cruise. I'm just wondering if you guyz think its my pcv valve.
Old 03-14-2004, 05:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: I promise this isn't a dumb question! (itsm3paul)

?
Old 03-14-2004, 05:49 PM

Default Re: I promise this isn't a dumb question! (itsm3paul)

worn out spark plugs, distributor,cap, bad wire, too much timing advance or retard. these things will cause your car to fail hc.
Old 03-16-2004, 06:39 AM

Default Re: I promise this isn't a dumb question! (2lua)

WOW i passed emissions. Thanx brofor the help on the valve, i also threw in that Zmax to lower my emissions numbers and i passed it with flying colors. I will vouch for Zmax any day of the week!