Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Question for the honda experts.

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2008, 04:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question for the honda experts.

I am trading this guy my 91 vw gti 1.8t for this car. I wanted to know if it is worth what he is asking and if it is safe to run that much boost on a honda motor.
Thanks guys

im selling my 1994 white civic dx coupe
asking 4500$...throw an offer

the car is pretty much rust free except for a very small spot on rocker panel near rear wheel ( surface rust..can be taken care of before becomes anything serious)

ls motor has 40,xxx miles on it
1,000 miles turboed
t3/t4 60 trim garret turbo (no shaft play)
welded 2.5" intercooler piping (3 pieces total)
real deal ramhorn manifold
unknown 450cc injectors
tuned on crome
running 12 psi currently
4 puck clutch put in 500 miles ago
silver dx steelies all around
boost gauge with light on the steering tree
oil pressure gauge ( pressure sending unit not hooked up yet but i do have it)
3 inch turboback no cat/no muffler with 2 resonators.
greddy type s blow off valve
short shifter
grey gsr cloth front seats
grey stock back seats.
grey interior
all tires are new
traction bar included
new control arms and bushings
dropzone coilovers on stock struts
the car will include a full set of new ARP head studs
** the car needs a new hood and passenger side fender ** and the bumper and driver side fender are un-painted**
*** not bad on gas at all**

also ill include 2 gunmetal lenso drag wheels with m/t slicks (some life left in them) if i get what im asking

Old 01-10-2008, 04:43 AM

Default Re: Question for the honda experts. (thaboosh)

You are good on the boost, as long as the tune is good. Really it's how much would you pay for it? If it's worth it to you, go for it.
Old 01-10-2008, 04:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i would say that its worth about 3500 considering it needs a hood, passenger side fender, needs a paint job..see what kind of tires are on those steelies cause chances are they arent meant for high speeds. not too sure about how much boost it could take on stock internals..id say anywhere from 3.5-4k at most
Old 01-10-2008, 04:51 AM

Default Re: Question for the honda experts. (addsmack)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by addsmack &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">You are good on the boost, as long as the tune is good. Really it's how much would you pay for it? If it's worth it to you, go for it.</TD></TR></TABLE>
Even if it s on stock internals?
Im not used to honda motors so. haha. Im a vw guy.
Old 01-10-2008, 04:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by thaboosh &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Even if it s on stock internals?
Im not used to honda motors so. haha. Im a vw guy. </TD></TR></TABLE>

yea, Honda motors are somewhat resilient when it comes to boosting on stock internals, but like addsmack said, it all depends on how good the tune is.
Old 01-10-2008, 05:07 AM

Default Re: Question for the honda experts. (Probot)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Probot &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

yea, Honda motors are somewhat resilient when it comes to boosting on stock internals, but like addsmack said, it all depends on how good the tune is.</TD></TR></TABLE>
So if the tune is good, it will handle 12psi. i just dont want this thing to blow on me
Old 01-10-2008, 07:37 AM
Former Moderator

Received 54 Likes on 29 Posts

You might want to post this in the forced induction forum to get the best replies.

Having said that I don't know if I'd keep that at 12psi if I got the car. I'm sure it feels great and all, but I'd feel safer at 8psi for daily driving, and of course pay someone reputable to retune the car.

You're buying someone else's project - quite possibly someone else's headache. I'd wonder why he was selling the car. Sometimes people pawn stuff off on others when they know there's impending doom. It's happened a million times, and not just in the Honda world. Guy builds car, runs pretty good, but there are issues, so the guy sells car to someone else, and car promtly blow up, leaving the purchaser royally screwed.

I personally would never buy someone else's boost project unless everything was top-notch quality, no conrers cut, and I knew the seller and tuner/builder, etc. It's a huge risk.

Unless you can afford to rebuild/replace the engine in the event if a disaster I'd keep options open.
Old 01-10-2008, 07:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by thaboosh &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
So if the tune is good, it will handle 12psi. i just dont want this thing to blow on me</TD></TR></TABLE>

Correct, if the car is tuned correctly you should be fine!
Old 01-10-2008, 07:44 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

From my experience, never buy a honda modified further than I/H/E, you never know what you're getting. Maybe it has bad rod knock and very thick oil, or maybe its fine. I bought a modded civic and I have no idea what was done to the poor little single cam, but I do know I have 1/8th of an inch of carbon build up on the pistons. I would buy a stock civic from some old woman and build that. Built &gt; Bought. My .02