Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Question on clutch, struts, and springs...

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2009, 07:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question on clutch, struts, and springs...

Hey guys, I'm going to be replacing the clutch on my 94 EX. I plan on using an Exedy OEM replacement kit and having the stock flywheel machined and driving it until I tear it down to rebuild everything for the turbo setup. Where can I get the clutch kit for the best price? I know it's a popular kit and there's a ton of places to buy it, but is there one place that's cheaper than the others?

Nextly, the girlfriend's 97 DX needs struts soon. It's riding on the originals with 135k miles and the right rear is starting to make slight clunk sounds. I decided it's time to replace the mounts and struts. Her car is a daily driver, so I don't want anything too stiff, but I do want something that's not mushy and will hold up. I was thinking of putting Yellows on her car, but I think they'll end up being waste. Would Reds be a better idea? Or something else?

And now springs. I would also like to replace the springs at this time too with something new to replace the saggy and rusty old ones. I was thinking of dropping the car an inch or so and leaving it there. I don't want coilovers because they generally ride like crap. As far as something that will only lower the car slightly or keep it the stock height what can you guys recommend?
Old 02-23-2009, 07:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Question on clutch, struts, and springs...

who's going to be driveing the car, u or her? if its her and its a daily, dont get the yellows. they are way to aggressive. sounds like your best bet are oem replacements like billsteins or monroe. but if you insist on going aftermarket, koni reds or tokico blues or kybs arent very aggressive.

the eibach sports is a decent drop bout 1-2inches. but remember potholes and **** will come up and she will bottem out and scrape so dont go very low.
Old 02-23-2009, 07:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks for the input.

She'll be driving the car most of the time. I figured that the Yellows would be too agressive. The only thing I hate about OEM replacements is that they generally don't ride as nice and they'll probably cost around the same for Reds. I kinda hate Monroes too, but Bilsteins are OK. I've heard some bad things about the KYB's also, but then again the are generally cheaper than other things. Maybe I'll go with the Reds to match the rest of the red accents on the car. lol Aren't the Reds supposed to be essentially OEM replacements?

I'll have to measure again for sure, but I don't think I can go much lower than an inch on her car with the mudflaps on. I'd like to leave them on, especially since we live in the winter. It helps to keep salt and snow off the vehicle and keeps rocks away from the body too. I don't plan on going low at all, just wanted something to make the car look a little nicer.
Old 02-23-2009, 07:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

You could find a Tokico HP Kit with springs for 400 shipped.
Old 02-24-2009, 07:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Anyone else have anything to put in on struts and springs? So far I'd like to go with Reds, but until someone convinces me otherwise I'll stick with them. How about springs? Are there any others besides the Eibachs that won't lower me too far? Any good place to buy an Exedy OEM clutch?
Old 02-25-2009, 04:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

C'mon, nobody else?
Old 02-25-2009, 08:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Well, I did a little more reading the shock and strut thing.

It seems like for struts the KYB GR-2, KYB AGX, Koni Reds, and Tokico Blues are the most popular choices for a regular daily driver. The AGX's are more along the lines of the Koni Yellows though when you compare them. I don't need anything adjustable since this is the girlfriend's daily driver, it's just that I want something better than the stock crappy Bilsteins or Monroes. Something that's still soft but has some firmness to it. For springs it seems like Eibach Pro kit is winning hands-down. Also, they usually are a drop of 1"-1.5", which the could should be able to still easily pull off. The Sportlines are more of a 2" drop, which is going a little too far, especially since I still want to use the OEM mudflaps.

Are there any other springs out there that won't lower the car much but will still provide better response? Where have you guys ordered your Exedy OEM clutch kits from and how much did they run you?
Old 02-25-2009, 08:21 PM
Master Detailer

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

you can find alot of excedy clutchs on ebay for cheep.
kyb.Tokico, konis
have you thought about ground controll coilovers? more then springs but they ride good
Old 02-26-2009, 02:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Sounds like the Koni Reds are being discontinued and are being replaced by Koni Oranges? Not many listings on eBay for Reds, nor do many places carry them anymore. I seen a new Orange shock made by Koni though...

I was quoted 455 dollars shipped for 4 Yellows which seems like a good deal, but I don't want something as stiff as what the Yellows are. I want something cheaper also. Maybe I'll just get the GR-2's since I want a stock style replacement that's not going to be much stiffer than stock. Also, I'm pretty sure if I go with a lowering spring I'll just get the Eibach Pro Kit since they don't drop the car much and are a very good quality spring and the set of 4 can be had for 200 bucks shipped. I want to try and keep the price cheaper. I should be able to pick up the Eibach Kit and 4 GR-2's for 400 bucks total with my discount through work. My only question though is if the GR-2's will work if they're lowered on an inch or so. Also, I'm going to do some measuring on the girlfriend's car to see if I can even lower it and still have good clearance with the mudflaps.

Can you guys recommend any other struts or springs for this daily driver?
Old 02-26-2009, 03:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Daily driver at stock height I would recommend KYBs.
Old 02-26-2009, 05:09 PM

yeah KYBs on a daliy driver are good and as fair as springs go the Eibach Sports ride really good with KYb struts,but thats my .02 cents
Old 02-26-2009, 06:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I did a little measuring today on the car. It looks like the lowest points on the car are the front mudflaps, which are a little over 4" off the ground. I'm wondering a couple things though. Is that their stock height, or are they that low just because the car has the original springs and struts on it and that they're worn and sagging? Obviously new springs would be stiffer and sit higher, so I'm wondering if I put the Eibach springs on will it sit much lower? I don't want it to be too low for the fact that I don't want it to scoop snow off the ground during the winter. I know I won't have to worry about bottoming out because the stiffer struts and springs will keep the wheels from rebounding as much as they do now. I can't imagine the ride will be much stiffer than it is now.

I did some reading about the Pro Kit and it states that it's a kit made for cars that are daily driven rather than only driven on the weekend, so I imagine it should work for this car. I'm leaning towards the GR-2's right now because I want something cheap that won't be much stiffer than stock. I should be able to get all 4 of them for under 200 dollars hopefully. My only question is if they will blow out being lowered on an inch or so?
Old 02-26-2009, 06:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I bought my Exedy OEM replacement clutch from a seller on eBay it was like $60 I think.
Old 02-27-2009, 04:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Alright, so I called the local parts store and I can get the KYB GR-2's for 240 dollars for all 4 of them brand new with my discount. That's as cheap as I can get them off eBay, and they'd be there in 2 days. I also did some looking on eBay and found the Koni STRT (oranges) for 309 shipped for all 4. Apparently the Oranges are a replacement for the Reds in the fact that they work as an OEM replacement but can be used with other aftermarket suspension components, so they would also be a good candidate. So far it seems like it's either between the Oranges or the GR-2's for me. I'm just wondering if you can lower the the GR-2's at all. The GR-2's have amazing reviews for them and seem to be pretty good. The Koni's don't have many reviews yet since they've just been released.

For springs we'll most likely go with the Pro Kit for 200 shipped. This kit also has amazing reviews too and seems like the way to go for her car so that it doesn't sit too low. The only other thing that caught my eye was this:

http://www.tirerack.com/suspension/s...780&perfCode=S

For 440 dollars you get the springs and shocks together as a kit and it's the Pro kit, so it shouldn't lower the car a ton. Anyone have any experience with this kit?

Also, I believe I'm going to replace the strut/shock mounts with new ones too. What do you guys suggest for this? Just get the KYB mounts?