Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

QUESTION: Clutch Problem, Slipping, High Biting Point

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2004, 08:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default QUESTION: Clutch Problem, Slipping, High Biting Point

Hi guys,

I've just spent a couple of hours reading through some threads abouting replacing a clutch.. looks like a fair bit of work so before i start i thought i'd just make sure.

Symptom:

Clutch biting point has moved furthur up and is now almost right at the top of the pedal travel. I drove up a hill in 2nd gear and at about 4000rpm the revs shot up to about 6k and then dropped when i eased off the throttle. It didn't slip again in the next 300 km despite some fairly hard driving (hill starts, overtaking stuff etc..).

Analysis:

When I got home I did the obvious stuff, checked clutch fluid which is fine. Checked slave cylinder, noticed a bolt depressing the clutch slightly. I decided to loosen it a little which gave me about 3mm extra travel on the pedal and a load of slack where the push rod is no longer in tension. The clutch slips if i depress the pedal after the slack by about 6mm when accelerating so the biting point is still really high.

Checks:

I tried pulling away in 5th from standstill, car stalled which I guess is a good sign. I reved the engine to 6500 rpm with the clutch pedal depressed in 5th gear at 30mph. Dropped the pedal and the revs almost instantly shot down to where they should be, another good sign maybe?

Questions:

I've read a thread about adjusting the push rod from the slave cylinder. I can't see how this would help in my case as I have slack in the rod anyway or would it?? It looks like its in the middle of its travel with about 4mm either way for adjustment. I've adjusted the pedal position so the slack is gone but the clutch is not depressed slightly like it used to be (sensible thing to do?). Is there anyway to adjust the position of my biting point does it sound like its time for a new clutch? It seems fine after adjusting the travel but i'm guessing when it wears a little more its gonna slip again and get worse..

Car is stock JDM VTi, 87500 miles on a D15B SOHC VTEC engine.

Some links to threads i've read (not all):

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=904080 (changing)

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=935893 (adjusting)

those are the most relavent, read a few about ludes with some decent pics to get an idea about the work involved in changing it..

Any help/suggestions much appreciated, thanks in advance...

Modified by goodbyegti at 6:13 PM 8/8/2004
Old 08-08-2004, 09:13 AM

Default Re: QUESTION: Clutch Problem, Slipping, High Biting Point (goodbyegti)

yeah if you already tread all that, and the same thing is still there, your only delaying the fate of the clutch. it looks like youre going to need a clutch, it's not that heard, and on a d ser, it sould take you 3hrs with a friend, the more you do it the faster you do it, I swap it out in 1 1/2 and its runing in the street. good luck
Old 08-08-2004, 10:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: QUESTION: Clutch Problem, Slipping, High Biting Point (civtegra_hybrid)

hmmm...looks like new clutch to me then, lookin forward to fitting it as i don't need the car at the moment...
Old 08-19-2004, 12:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

well, didn't think about the obvious thing in this one, bled the clutch the other day and i've got a whole load more movement, no slippage and my car back how it should be..