Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Question...Buying a 95 CX Hatch

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2003, 02:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question...Buying a 95 CX Hatch

I have a few questions. I am in the process of buying a 95 cx hatch and i need somw input from the experts.

The car im looking at has steel wheels, did that come standard?

The car has about 65k right now. Is there anything that needs major attention anytime soon?? all i could think about is t belt and water pump at 90k.

Are there any things that i should pay special attention to when i take a look at the car?

thanks for any help!!
Old 03-06-2003, 02:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Question...Buying a 95 CX Hatch (Art Vandeleigh)

I have a few questions. I am in the process of buying a 95 cx hatch and i need somw input from the experts.

The car im looking at has steel wheels, did that come standard?

The car has about 65k right now. Is there anything that needs major attention anytime soon?? all i could think about is t belt and water pump at 90k.

Are there any things that i should pay special attention to when i take a look at the car?

thanks for any help!!
Steelies came stock with hubcaps on them.

Drive the car. See if it rattles, drives straight etc.. Make sure you test out all the accessories, windshield wipers, etc.. Open up the hood, trunk, doors, check the welds. Look for any welding and/or damage. Open the oil cap and look inside with a flashlight. (Which reminds me, bring a flash light!) Check the oil with the dipstick as well.
Old 03-06-2003, 02:56 PM

The steelies are standard, a general maintanance clean up is a must with any new car (filters, engine fluids, and t belt), and i'd check for rust on the underbody/wheelwells and make sure the frame isnt bent.
Old 03-06-2003, 04:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Question...Buying a 95 CX Hatch (Nine)

There is a guy in the For sale or tech forum that is giving out free Carfax reports.
Old 03-06-2003, 05:04 PM

Default Re: Question...Buying a 95 CX Hatch (GTlvr82)

65k is lowww mileage, jump on that car if its a clean title and no accidents, little **** can be fixed.
Old 03-06-2003, 11:48 PM

Default Re: Question...Buying a 95 CX Hatch (euclid)

65k is lowww mileage, jump on that car if its a clean title and no accidents, little **** can be fixed.
thats what im thinking, but she is asking alot. she is looking for 4500. blue book value for a "fair" condition car is only 3500. i just dont want this car to be a money pit, my r is already turning into a money pit.

i know that i will need to replace the clutch and pp soon. that will cost me at least $200.
Old 03-07-2003, 04:49 AM

there's really no point in buying a cx w/ low mileage if ur gonna do an engine swap which is what i'm assuming..if im wrong and ur jus lookin for a good condition cx motor then forget i told u this..but other than that, u can find a much cheaper car w/ higher mileage b/c mileage makes a big difference when it comes to price

unless u can't afford the motor swap right away and u need to roll around in it to get to work, etc, but even then i dont thnk u need it as low as 65k
Old 03-07-2003, 04:59 AM

If this car is indeed clean, and drives well offer her $3800 cash.. If she doesn't wanna move on the price, she can go "**** up a pole"..
Old 03-07-2003, 06:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Question...Buying a 95 CX Hatch (Powered by Rowena Galam)

there's really no point in buying a cx w/ low mileage if ur gonna do an engine swap which is what i'm assuming..if im wrong and ur jus lookin for a good condition cx motor then forget i told u this..but other than that, u can find a much cheaper car w/ higher mileage b/c mileage makes a big difference when it comes to price

unless u can't afford the motor swap right away and u need to roll around in it to get to work, etc, but even then i dont thnk u need it as low as 65k
A car with lower miles will most likely be in better conditions. There are things OTHER than the motor that wear down.
Old 03-07-2003, 07:00 AM

Default Re: Question...Buying a 95 CX Hatch (MEGA EK)

I agree with MEGA EK. Lower mileage is almost always a good thing, regardless of whether or not you wanna keep the car stock or swap/modify it down the road..
I also see your point too Galam: If the cars main purpose is for a project car/race car and not daily driver then maybe finding an "older" car with higher mileage will help you save some money.
Old 03-07-2003, 07:09 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Question...Buying a 95 CX Hatch (00MRSi)

Make sure to check underneath the spare tire for rust spots, etc. The hatches are known for leaking through the tailights.
Old 03-07-2003, 07:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Question...Buying a 95 CX Hatch (phillycx)

As long as the mileage isn't too low. Cars from the early-90s w/like 50k always have things go wrong, like sensors, distributors, etc.
Old 03-07-2003, 10:58 AM

Default Re: Question...Buying a 95 CX Hatch (CXHatchback)

This car is mainly going to be a commuter and hopefully will last a very long time. A swap??? maybe in a few years. Thats why i really want a low mileage car that i can drive right away without doing any further work to get it road ready.

ok so i went to see the car today and it is more beat up then i was lead to believe. But thats ok, because i dont plan entering any beauty contests.

i ran a carfax and found out the car is from jersey and was registered as a commmercial vehicle. it was then sold when the car had +36K.

after being sold it ended up here in california to this person who bought the car from a dealership.

there is slight rust on the fender from a slight exposure of the metal. i did not check the spare tire area...

she said that she will go to $3500. do you all think that is worth it? i am just really tir3ed of looking for a used car. most of the cars out there in my area anyway are pretty beat up, or with way too much mileage for me to be secure with. thanks all for any help.

[Modified by Art Vandeleigh, 7:59 PM 3/7/2003]
Old 03-07-2003, 11:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Not a bad price. Go for it. Rust under a fender is okay if there isn't rust everywhere else. Fenders are like 30-40 bucks.
Old 03-07-2003, 12:09 PM

Default Re: Question...Buying a 95 CX Hatch (MEGA EK)

ok there is another thing i forgot to mention. the carfax reports the vin as a DX but the chic says its a CX. Me being the retard i am did even bother to look at what was on the car...could carfax be wrong about the vin??? i seru=iously doubt that....this commercial vehicle thing bothers me a bit too. but they sold it when it was around 36K. not much damage if any was done.

but the trim level bothers me. thats a difference of like 32 hp but seriously...i wonder what is up with that. what do you all think?

[Modified by Art Vandeleigh, 10:18 PM 3/7/2003]
Old 03-07-2003, 12:46 PM

Dude with that kind of mileage just buy it.. As long as the title is legit and availible- your good.. ****- half the people on this board would love to find a 95 Hatch with 63k miles on it for 3500$.. People try to sell them bone stock with 140k miles on em for 4000$ and boneheads who want to swap buy em..

I'd be all over it.. Rust is your major issuse.. If that is negligable- I would say go for it.. Any engine parts for that car can be had VERY cheap and VERY readily. I bet theres a million D16 NON's sitting around in garages waiting to be sold/parted.

You'll be kicking yourself later down the road if you dont.. Does it have AC? Thats a must for me in a daily driver.. Good luck !
Old 03-07-2003, 12:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

12 HP? Try more like 32! The cx motor is weak. did it have a rear wiper? Power steering? Clock? Rear speakers? Side moldings? Black valve cover? A true CX has none of these. It sounds like a pretty good deal though.
Old 03-07-2003, 01:17 PM

Default Re: Question...Buying a 95 CX Hatch (civicmatt)

12 HP? Try more like 32! The cx motor is weak. did it have a rear wiper? Power steering? Clock? Rear speakers? Side moldings? Black valve cover? A true CX has none of these. It sounds like a pretty good deal though.
your right it is 32...bad math

it did not have a black valve cover or PS. no side moldings either. cant remeber if it had a rear wiper or clock and i dont think it had rear speakers either.

from all this it must be a CX the valve cover gives it away right away. but how can carfax be wrong about the trim level?? the vin is right off the dash and i copied it correctly. this makes the car kind of shady.....
Old 03-07-2003, 07:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Question...Buying a 95 CX Hatch

yeah man jump on that car.... get rid of that engine and put in a B18.... shiat will be fast!! watch for rust on the rear quaters above the tires.
Old 03-07-2003, 10:22 PM

Default Re: Question...Buying a 95 CX Hatch (smiko0124)

Mann just buy the thing, I would of bought it with the shitty motor, just to swap it. Maybe she will come down on the price being that the trim lines don't match, it's worth a try.