Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Question for anyone who's tinted an EG Hatch

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2008, 03:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question for anyone who's tinted an EG Hatch

When a tinter does the EG Hatch Boot lid, do they typically remove the 'gas lifts' and the plastic housing of the rear wiper?

Thus to allow them to perfectly apply a single layer of film?

I just had my tint redone, and the tinter has quite literally 'cut around' the gas lifts. So it's a single piece with tint missing front the top corners, and tint is also missing down the 2cm of the left of the boot lid where the wiper wiring loom runs down.
Old 12-18-2008, 04:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thats how mine was but I took it all off anyway.
Old 12-18-2008, 04:54 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

yes they rwmove it all .
Old 12-18-2008, 04:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

a good tinter will remove the spolier and the gas shocks along with the wiper to get a perfect one piece rear window.

My 92 eg was done this way
Old 12-18-2008, 06:12 PM

This is the job I recieved:

I ask because I'm about to go back and make him do it properly. Even the front Window doesn't done properly. Properly, I assumes means having a single piece front window which is aligned properly, and a boot lid which was applied by removing the gas shocks and spoiler (as mention in this thread)

So I was hoping to get some advice before I go in. I was hoping honda-tech could clarify this, so when I go in he can't just say "the boot is too hard, that's the standard way to put it on. I understand it doesnt look good, but too bad"
Old 12-18-2008, 06:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

haha did u have to pay for that.?? i'd done 20x better than that for free haha..
Old 12-18-2008, 08:31 PM

i have to ask, please tell me how much you paid for that hack job. If it was more than 60 out the door i would be pissed. maybe you could even remove everything and have another worker tint it.
Old 12-18-2008, 08:48 PM

It was a professional install by a national reputable company in Australia. I won't quote prices because of the exchange rate, and I needed the old tint removed.

I'm definitely going back to the shop and telling them to fix it. I started this thread for some insight knowledge into tinting an EG.

I will go back and make them redo both front doors, and the boot. With the boot, I expect them to remove the struts/spoilers and the rear wiper housing. Is that correct?
Old 12-22-2008, 01:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Question for anyone who's tinted an EG Hatch

yeah dude 100% go back and bring a kangaroo with u to kick them in the bizzalllllss...!!
Old 12-22-2008, 01:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i would be pissed if i paid for that and then got it back like that...thats a bush league tinting job
Old 12-22-2008, 02:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yea my tinter removed everything...came out super clean
Old 01-04-2009, 07:57 PM

HT.com - Help!

I went back to the guy and he said:
"The front Window, the alignment is wrong. It's a car problem, not a tint problem".
"The back Window, there is nothing he can do. 'We could try painting it' (I lold) but then he said bring it back and we'll see what we can do".

He seemed surprised when I told him its apparently normal for an experienced tinter to remove the wiper and gas shocks before applying the boot tint?

So is the alignment really that wrong? I'm a fair guy so if it is the case I don't mind having the alignment fixed if that'll fix my problem.

Either case I'll chasing it up with the head office, but I still would like some experienced tinters on ht to comment.
Old 01-04-2009, 08:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i'm sure if you tried it you could do a better job...
Old 01-04-2009, 09:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

im a tinter, and if i had done that kind of job, my boss would fire me right away.....

i ve deal with alignment befor, and if you hold the window straight and still see the missing film, its not alignment.... my .2
Old 01-04-2009, 09:56 PM

Originally Posted by patotas
im a tinter, and if i had done that kind of job, my boss would fire me right away.....

i ve deal with alignment befor, and if you hold the window straight and still see the missing film, its not alignment.... my .2
Thanks mate, I'd love some more thoughts from you. Can you comment on the boot? Is it really 'the best they could do' for someone with 19 years experience? Wheres the line between a lazy tinter not removing the gas struts, and a top class one who will automatically make it perfect? My tinter kept saying "for the boot, the grey glue thing will stop the tint from sticking so we couldnt apply it there".

On my old integra it still applied, even tho it appeared as grey lines from the outside.

From the inside, if you hold alignment straight, the gap goes away. However, from the outside it still looks really obvious the tint is missing from the glass:

Normal wind up, possible alignment problem, big gap inside and it looks like this from the outside

Holding the window straight, no gap from inside but it still looks like this
Old 01-04-2009, 10:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Ok, first off. In my country , Texas , That job they did is embarrassing and would never fly.
That job is totally unprofessional. I have MYSELF done way better tint jobs with a "do it yourself kit "from an auto parts store.
Him telling you your car is not aligned is such a phone call to the Better Business Bureau.
In truth they did a Lazy and Crappy job.
Make them make good or get your money back.
Old 01-05-2009, 01:53 PM

real tint job.

This guy is giving you the run around. Talk only to the manager. They have wasted your time and money. They are treating you like this because you drive a civic and not a porche 911.
How in the world is a piece of glass misaligned?? You cut and measure with the window in the rolled up position. After you give the manager and ear full. Tell him "that we can resolve this problem by simply having a more experienced tinter perform the work".

He could at minimum have cut a slit then connect the slit around the strut. This guy did not even try. When this starts peeling, it will be from this area. Not trying to give you a scare but it even looks like he might have cut through one of your defroster strips.

Last edited by driveslow; 01-05-2009 at 02:08 PM.
Old 01-05-2009, 10:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

If he did cut one of those strips your defrost will not work all over the window anymore. You will have a big section that will not defrost , most likely obstructing view.
Old 01-06-2009, 12:26 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by courtney42
If he did cut one of those strips your defrost will not work all over the window anymore. You will have a big section that will not defrost , most likely obstructing view.
who use's the defrosters anyways

i live in Illinois and my car is tinted all the way around, i never use my defroster because i am afraid it will some how mess up the tint. i never really have a problem and it snows alot and gets pretty cold out here. just clear it off before you drive and keep it clean, my hatch rarely fogs up.
Old 01-13-2009, 05:46 PM

Thanks all for the help. I ended up ignoring the guy who did the job, and went straight the head office. They hooked me up with a tinter (under warranty) who did everything you guys described (removed all gas struts, etc) and the resulting tint is perfect!

Thanks for the inside info.