Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Question about wiring?

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2004, 08:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question about wiring?

I bought a universal tach and I just need to know a few things. Where is the tach signal wire located on a 99 Civic EX? The guy who sold me the tach told me that it is near the shock tower on the drivers side, he says its a solid blue wire, then he tells me that the wire is near the distributor and it is in a connecter that has only 2 wires coming out of it. I found that one but he said it is solid blue when the one I saw has a black stripe on it. I attached pictures of the only connectors I see wth blue wires coming out of them. Can you please tell me which wire is the tach signal?

I need to know ASAP!!!

The first pic is the connector with the two wires coming near the distributor with the blue wire with the black stripe, the second pic is also a connector near the distributor and the third pic is of the connector near the shock tower.

Modified by dawrenn at 12:53 PM 11/3/2004
Old 11-03-2004, 08:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

3rd picture. It's the lonely blue wire going into the rubber holder right next to your hood prop.
Old 11-03-2004, 09:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Question about wiring? (dawrenn)

actually.. if you just run a wire from the guage cluster in your dash, the wiring is already there.. you can just tap into that.... do a search on here for ek cluster wiring (don't forget to search the archives as well)...
Old 11-03-2004, 11:56 AM

Default Re: Question about wiring? (redlinetuning)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by redlinetuning &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">actually.. if you just run a wire from the guage cluster in your dash, the wiring is already there.. you can just tap into that.... do a search on here for ek cluster wiring (don't forget to search the archives as well)... </TD></TR></TABLE>

Actually I am getting a DX gauge cluster for free so I am going to swap cluster so I wont have 2 tachs.

Thanks anyway.
Old 11-03-2004, 11:57 AM

Default Re: (spoonek9)

Your 100% sure right?
Old 11-03-2004, 12:12 PM

Someone from another forum say it is not that wire. This is what he says: the plug coming form the distributor... the 8 pin plug. there will be a blue wire on the distributor side of the plugs and nothing on the other side, that's your tach wire. The 99-00 EX models don't have the tach wire run to the shock towers, the tach signal comes from the ECU.

Which wire is it?
Old 11-03-2004, 12:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The one I pointed out is a service connector, which is used to hook a tach up to when servicing the car. I'd just pull the cluster out and tap into that wire. That way you don't have wires running all through your engine bay.
Old 11-03-2004, 01:15 PM

If you psot a pic of what your talking about I'll do it but I was planning on swapping my Ex cluster with a DX xluster that I am getting for free. Which one is the tach signal wire? I really need to know ASAP!!!
Old 11-03-2004, 02:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts
Default Re: (dawrenn)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by dawrenn &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Someone from another forum say it is not that wire. This is what he says: the plug coming form the distributor... the 8 pin plug. there will be a blue wire on the distributor side of the plugs and nothing on the other side, that's your tach wire. The 99-00 EX models don't have the tach wire run to the shock towers, the tach signal comes from the ECU.

Which wire is it?</TD></TR></TABLE>
that would be me.
the sole wire hanging out by your hood prop will work, but it's fed from the Cluster which is fed from the ECU.
IMO run to the wires behind the cluster. 100% easier and makes for a lot shorter wires. Nothing to run through the firewall.
tach - solid blue
power - solid yellow
ground - solid black
Old 11-03-2004, 02:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by dawrenn &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">If you psot a pic of what your talking about I'll do it but I was planning on swapping my Ex cluster with a DX xluster that I am getting for free. Which one is the tach signal wire? I really need to know ASAP!!!</TD></TR></TABLE>

its the solid blue wire off of ur cluster.
Old 11-03-2004, 07:42 PM

Default Re: (Relic1)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Relic1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
that would be me.
the sole wire hanging out by your hood prop will work, but it's fed from the Cluster which is fed from the ECU.
IMO run to the wires behind the cluster. 100% easier and makes for a lot shorter wires. Nothing to run through the firewall.
tach - solid blue
power - solid yellow
ground - solid black</TD></TR></TABLE>

Where will the solid yellow and solid black wire be? What do I need to hook up them.
Old 11-03-2004, 09:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by dawrenn &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Where will the solid yellow and solid black wire be? What do I need to hook up them.</TD></TR></TABLE>
the blue(~middle) and yellow(close to the end) wires are on the 13 pin blue connector. The tach wire(blue) connects to the tach signal input wire of the aftermarket tach, and yellow wire connects to the red(power) wire of the tach.
the black wire is on the second wire on the 16 pin blue connector, it should be connected to the black(ground) wire of your tach.
either strip a little of the insulation away and solder the wires to the harness or use those crappy scotch lock things to hold it in there. They will eventually cause you problems, but since it's inside the vehicle you will be fine for a year or so.
Old 11-04-2004, 05:32 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Relic1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
the blue(~middle) and yellow(close to the end) wires are on the 13 pin blue connector. The tach wire(blue) connects to the tach signal input wire of the aftermarket tach, and yellow wire connects to the red(power) wire of the tach.
the black wire is on the second wire on the 16 pin blue connector, it should be connected to the black(ground) wire of your tach.
either strip a little of the insulation away and solder the wires to the harness or use those crappy scotch lock things to hold it in there. They will eventually cause you problems, but since it's inside the vehicle you will be fine for a year or so.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Where is the 13 pin connecter? and where is the 16 pin connector? If I run the wires behind the cluster wont I just have to connect one wire the the blue tach signal wire? The guy who sold me the tach told me The rest of the wires are easy, because they are all located right under the dash. The Red wire requires a 12v from the ignition switch so this can turn the tach on and off. To find that voltage, remove the steering rack cover and unscrew the three bolts. After the screws are removed just jiggle the cover a little bit and it should come apart, it's cliped on so don't be affraid the jiggle it good. After you removed the cover, take your multi meter and find the 12v signal, first w/ the key on. To make sure your are not getting the battery voltage test the same point where you found the voltage w/ the engine off. It should read 12v w/ key switch on and 0v w/ key switch off.

The third wire, white wire, which requires a 12v from dash light. All I did was I went to the mess of wirings for my radio and found a 12v source with the key switch on.

The fourth wire, black wire, is the ground wire. Meaning you can either run a wire to your negative terminal of your battery, just hook it up to anything under you dash will metal, or there should be a solid black wire for your radio that is ground from your battery.

Let me know something ASAP!!!
Old 11-04-2004, 06:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Sell the aftermarket tach and keep your EX cluster. Doesn't make any sense to me to swap to a DX cluster and then put a aftermarket tach in but.............
Old 11-04-2004, 06:37 AM

I really wasnt expecting to get the tach but I bid on it the first day it was listed. I was expecting to get outbid near the end but I didnt so I had to buy it. I dont want to go through the trouble of selling it and getting a chance of losing money. The only reason I would swap the cluster is that I am getting it for free. I think I am just going to run the wires behind the cluster. Since alot of people are saying that is easier. I just hope that it will work.
Old 11-04-2004, 07:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by dawrenn &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Where is the 13 pin connecter? and where is the 16 pin connector? If I run the wires behind the cluster wont I just have to connect one wire the the blue tach signal wire? The guy who sold me the tach told me The rest of the wires are easy, because they are all located right under the dash. The Red wire requires a 12v from the ignition switch so this can turn the tach on and off. To find that voltage, remove the steering rack cover and unscrew the three bolts. After the screws are removed just jiggle the cover a little bit and it should come apart, it's cliped on so don't be affraid the jiggle it good. After you removed the cover, take your multi meter and find the 12v signal, first w/ the key on. To make sure your are not getting the battery voltage test the same point where you found the voltage w/ the engine off. It should read 12v w/ key switch on and 0v w/ key switch off.

The third wire, white wire, which requires a 12v from dash light. All I did was I went to the mess of wirings for my radio and found a 12v source with the key switch on.

The fourth wire, black wire, is the ground wire. Meaning you can either run a wire to your negative terminal of your battery, just hook it up to anything under you dash will metal, or there should be a solid black wire for your radio that is ground from your battery.

Let me know something ASAP!!!</TD></TR></TABLE>

the 13 pin connector and 16 pin connector are plugged into the back of the cluster. Running wires like he listed is ok to do but not needed. Everything you need is right there on the cluster plugs all ready.
12 volts with dash lighting is a red/black wire, I'm not sure which plug that wire is on, I don't have the manual with me today. But I'm positive its on one of the two connectors I mentioned.
Old 11-04-2004, 07:54 AM

So I hook the red wire from the tach the the yellow wire on the cluster? The white wire from the tach to the red/black wire from the cluster? and the black wire from the tach to the black wire on the connector or anything metal? And the green wire from the tach to the tach signal wire? Could you check the manual when you get a chance? Let me know something ASAP.
Old 11-04-2004, 08:26 AM
Electrician

For the RPM signal.

As far as the Ground, 12v and Lighting, use a Electric Current checker. Get into the harness behind the OEM cluster and start checking which ones turn on when the Ignition is on and which ones turn on when the lights turn on. Took me 5 minutes to wire everything up.
Old 11-04-2004, 08:36 AM

Default Re: (Dimi)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Dimi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">For the RPM signal.

As far as the Ground, 12v and Lighting, use a Electric Current checker. Get into the harness behind the OEM cluster and start checking which ones turn on when the Ignition is on and which ones turn on when the lights turn on. Took me 5 minutes to wire everything up. </TD></TR></TABLE>

What do you mean for the RPM signal? Where is the cars was the pic taken? So when I check which one turns on you mean when it have voltage or no voltage? I would have to have a wire that has voltage when the key is on to power the tach? and the dash lighting is to have the tach light up? Let me know something ASAP.
Old 11-04-2004, 09:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

There's absolutely no reason to pull a signal from the engine bay. Pull it from the cluster harness. you're going to be mounting it in that area anyway right?

I don't know which wire it is off the top of my head (that's why I have a HELMS)... if you want to be lazy (and I'm guessing you do), hookup the power and ground to the tach, start the car and touch the signal wire to each pin until you find the rpm signal. No, this will not damage your tach.

Old 11-04-2004, 09:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Actually I am getting a DX gauge cluster for free so I am going to swap cluster so I wont have 2 tachs.

Thanks anyway.</TD></TR></TABLE>

darn.. i could have traded mine for yours.. i have a dx..

but anyway.. that's the cleanest install.. i was too lazy to look up the wires when i did mine 3 years ago.. so i just ran mine from the bay.. but yes.. the blue wire..
Old 11-04-2004, 09:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by dawrenn &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">So I hook the red wire from the tach the the yellow wire on the cluster? The white wire from the tach to the red/black wire from the cluster? and the black wire from the tach to the black wire on the connector or anything metal? And the green wire from the tach to the tach signal wire? Could you check the manual when you get a chance? Let me know something ASAP.</TD></TR></TABLE>
yes, that's it exactly.
Old 11-04-2004, 10:06 AM
at the jetties fishin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

man you're dense....
Old 11-04-2004, 10:07 AM

free bump
Old 11-04-2004, 12:59 PM
Electrician

It's simple.

Get a current tester.

Now...

Connect the current tester to a ground on the body.

Now...

Start "poking" at the wires, individually, AT THE HARNESS.

Make sure NONE of them come on when the Ignition is OFF.

Now...

Turn the key to the ACC/IGN position (the slot RIGHT before you actually TURN ON the car).

Now...

Starting poking at each wire again. Check which ones have current in them via the light bulb" on the tester.

Now...

That can be used for your 12v Power.

Now...

Check another wire, check that it comes on when the lights are turned on (corner lights AND low beams AND high beams). Make sure it has current ONLY when the lights are turned on, NOT when they are off.

Now...

This can be your Lighting.

Now...

Under your cluster should 2 big 12mm bolts. These can be your grounds. Connect ground wire to the bolt.

If you need me to physically tear out my cluster and show you what I mean via pictures, I will. Let me know.

Quick Reply: Question about wiring?