Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

question about vtec not engaging(yes i searched)

Old 12-08-2006, 03:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default question about vtec not engaging(yes i searched)

ok, i have a 95 si hatchback sohc vtec, engine cuts out at 5800 because of vtec not engaging. it's only recently started this, i took the vtec solenoid off and checked it with a jumper wire with 12v and it clicked so i know it's good. i searched for a filter/screen that i'd seen people mention in other posts about vtec solenoids but couldn't find anything resembling a screen/filter. my question is are there any pics on here of the vtec filter/screen? also i know my oil pressure is good, i just changed my oil a week or so ago. what other problems could i be having that is keeping vtec from engaging. one more note, i never run the car hard because it's a commuter car, i just happened to try to run it yesterday and noticed the vtec wasn't coming on, so i'm not sure how long it's been this way. thanks for anybody that will chime in on some suggestions that i may try.
Old 12-08-2006, 03:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: question about vtec not engaging(yes i searched) (rollindelsol)

Your car's running in limp mode for some reason if the engine's cutting out at 5,800 RPM. If it was just a VTEC problem VTEC simply wouldn't engage, but if your engine is cutting out that's limp mode.

Jump the service connector on the ECU and tell us what codes are in there (Check engine light).

Instructions here.

Old 12-08-2006, 04:05 PM

Default Re: question about vtec not engaging(yes i searched) (Syndacate)

yeah i assume it's fuel cut at 5800, i'll try to jump it tomorow and get the code since i'm off. any rough ideas as to what it could be? or could it be quite a few different things?
Old 12-08-2006, 04:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by rollindelsol &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">yeah i assume it's fuel cut at 5800, i'll try to jump it tomorow and get the code since i'm off. any rough ideas as to what it could be? or could it be quite a few different things?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Quite a few things can put a car into limp mode but generally it's not good. Limp mode is to protect the car from harming itself...so it's usually not like an IACV code or something...
Old 12-08-2006, 04:12 PM

so there could be something bad wrong with the car? it runs great up till where it cuts out, and still gets great gas mileage also. like i had said, it may have been like this for a while, but i just noticed it yesterday when i tried running the car hard. but anyway, thanks for the info synd
Old 12-08-2006, 04:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I don't know, it could be something stupid, could be something serious.

You'll know when you jump the service connector and pull the codes it's throwing.

NP BTW.
Old 12-08-2006, 04:53 PM

ok, one last question about when i determine the codes. i've read up on how to do it, seems simple enough. my question is if the car is throwing more than one code, will it go through all the codes that it is throwing via the wire jump method?

also thanks for the NP thumbs up, i assume that means nice post? i've been here a long while, forgot my old password though so i had to startover on the posts and i have no pic again.
Old 12-08-2006, 05:12 PM

Yes it will go through all the codes and NP means (no problem)
Old 12-09-2006, 11:09 AM

ok, i pulled the carpet up, i found no plug that resembles the one in those instructions. also not to mention i was leaning on my side skirts and knocked them loose too. all in all a crappy day, plus i have the flu so it's really hard to muster the energy to do anything. so what's the deal with me not finding that plug coming out of my computer?
Old 12-09-2006, 01:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by rollindelsol &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">ok, i pulled the carpet up, i found no plug that resembles the one in those instructions. also not to mention i was leaning on my side skirts and knocked them loose too. all in all a crappy day, plus i have the flu so it's really hard to muster the energy to do anything. so what's the deal with me not finding that plug coming out of my computer?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Ha, reach up in there and give the harness a lil tug (don't rip it out...). If it's never been accessed before it's up in there pretty good.

Just follow the wires from the ECU, one of them just hangs, or 2 of them just hang.

Think there's a 3 prong and a 2 prong.

(It's the 2 prong).

Old 12-09-2006, 04:02 PM

hey syndacate, are you on your aim, i wanted to ask a question or two there, instead of adding dumb questions that may not help others on this thread.
Old 12-09-2006, 04:53 PM

bump for anybody that can help me locate that service plug so i can jump those wires to pull codes. i've reached, tugged, and looked all over the car near the ecu and can't find that damn plug